Prospect Info: Portland Pirates AHL - Arizona Coyotes Minor League Affiliate III

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Hutch... Just Stop! You don't know everything that's going on either so you really need to tone it down because you're going to make people angry enough that they'll eventually discount everything you say. Just chill out.

Now back to the topic....

Personal opinion is that Edwards isn't going anywhere. While winning is important he has developed a handful of players now with the Coyotes. I'm working on a story that will address several topics including coaching. I will say that after talking with Treliving I get the sense that no change is coming in the coaching dept. If they were to make a change I think we'd likely see Playfair or King become the head coach and Edwards reassigned likely as an assistant working with the forwards and power play. Both know Tippett's system and can tout the company line.

Kiabur is pretty spot on with many of the facts that played a role in this season being such a disaster. It was the lease, Pirates’ ownership, roster, fan base, Minard and Edwards gets some blame in this as well.

The lease issue, timing of the lease issue and the late decision to make the change to play full time in Lewiston was a big factor. The travel to and from where many of the players had decided to live – Saco/OOB region – to Lewiston played a role. It was more than an hour travel one-way for some players and with the winter that we had it was tough travel at times. Also, the lack of fan support in the Lewiston/Auburn area was embarrassing. It played a role in the player’s performance. Most night’s it felt like a beer league game and the players played as such. I was one who touted that L/A could support a team and the Colisee would be packed every game. I was severely incorrect in that assessment. Lewiston lost a street cred with me moving forward.

The team itself was not very good. They had some pieces with Lessio, Rieder, Miele etc, but this team didn’t have enough to weather the tough times. There was no leadership on this team. There was no one to grab the team and assume leadership and lead the youngster through the tough times. It was a lot of “let’s figure it out as we goâ€.

I won’t disagree that it’s the purpose of an AHL team to develop players for the NHL parent club, but I strongly disagree that it’s the only reason. Let’s not forget that the Portland Pirates franchise has been around longer than the Coyotes have been in PHX and have fanbase that needs to be catered to as well. The fanbase understands the role of the AHL team, but they don’t want to be used or – as in this season – abused. They want a winning franchise to support. Ownership has to sell tickets and winning sells and if you are winning you likely developing at the same time. Many here could care less about the Coyotes. They have no attachment to the team because of its location in proximity to Portland. This is a Boston Bruins/Montreal Canadians and I suspect Quebec Nordiques market when they eventually join the NHL as some point in the future. It was the same issue with the Anaheim Ducks. The difference was the Pirates were successful so it hid the distance. The Sabres had success as well, but they were a little closer to Portland so people could attend games, follow the team on TV and in the news. They were able to build a connection that I would assert still stands today. So, while the role of the AHL team may be to develop players for the NHL don’t discount the fan here in Portland. It’s disrespectful to those who choose to support the Pirates and lay down their hard earned money on season tickets and merchandise.

In terms of the team next season… It’s on the Coyotes to put a winner on the ice next season for the Pirates or I think the affiliation might be at risk. Under the Coyotes, the Pirates have missed the playoffs two out of the last three years and this season is going to go down as one of the worst in franchise history. The return to the Civic Center should yield a good team as the Coyotes have 13 players under contract and of the pending RFA going into next season I suspect most will be qualified. To me the exception on who will be qualified is with Weller and Brodeur. I think all the UFA’s are gone. I would like to see Miele re-signed, but I think he’s looking for a one-way contract or one that’s going to produce a better opportunity to play in the NHL. With the pieces in place, if the Coyotes need to bring in a several strong veterans the Pirates should be competitive.

Sorry, I’m not on as much as I used to be. This has been a very difficult year, not just the Pirates, but for myself as I’ve had to shift my attention to other areas in the Maine hockey world. People can still find me at FB page and on Twitter – if you want links just PM me – and of course there is the website. I’m working on making sure next year is a much better year for Portland Pirates coverage.

frankly, wildcat, I'm sick and tired of the bashing of this franchise, the incessant bashing of Edwards,etc. from posters who've hardly seen this franchise play up to this point, no matter which affiliation it's been under, you're doing the best you can, I'm trying the best I can to fill in those gaps when you're not around, but to bash posters here when it's frankly impossible to do so at times some of these Coyote fans are fine, but why comment and bash the system as Kaibur suggested, the franchise never gave tht excuse as you pointed out, why bash posters when you ought to know better.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
folks, it's been a lost year, if not one of the strangest.........

I do appreciate some of you Coyotes posters, but to do prospect development on the fly, is not what most of us fans can do, even if as Wildcat has done follow this club throughout their travails, the past 23 seasons as it will be next year. I'm just like every other Pirate fan, just hoping for the balance between developing prospects and winning, just like I'm listening to the AA EL Sea Dogs.

probably the quicker this 10 day stretch ends, the better for all of us.

they weren't showing much life tonight, either trailing MCH 2-0, after being swept by MCH 4-3 in OT last Fri & PRO Last Sat 7-2.

I have always appreciated the reports Wildcat has done but Edwards' fate will be determined by Treliving and DM, not the fanbase.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
I don't think any of us mean to be rude. All we really want is the occasional eyeball report on some of the prospects, as stat lines only show so much. But not everybody feels comfortable doing so, and that's fine. Sorry for the bad year in Portland, it hurts everyone involved :(

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I don't think any of us mean to be rude. All we really want is the occasional eyeball report on some of the prospects, as stat lines only show so much. But not everybody feels comfortable doing so, and that's fine. Sorry for the bad year in Portland, it hurts everyone involved :(

THANKS, Andrew, but like we said, it's probably the strangest year we've had as a fanbase, since 6/17/91 when our franchise was stripped from us much the same way this year's club almost was.

btw, you Yotes fans missed nothing, Manchester came in and shut the Pirates out, 5-0.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Sun Journal review of Manchester gm went: "25 gms lost @ the Colisee, 1st time the Pirates showed no offensive ability", veteran players are starting to get tired/frustrated just as the fanbase is/has been.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Not sure if this would warrant its own thread or not.

http://www.dcourier.com/main.asp?SectionID=2&SubsectionID=2&ArticleID=130532

Could Arizona soon be home to another minor-league hockey team besides the CHL's Sundogs?

And, if so, could that club be heading to Prescott Valley?

Late Thursday night, Fox Sports Arizona reported that multiple NHL sources with knowledge of the situation said several western-based NHL franchises, including the Phoenix Coyotes, want to form a Pacific Division for their affiliates in the American Hockey League (AHL).

The AHL has been the main developmental minor league for the NHL for more than a decade. But the distances between the AHL's eastern affiliates and the NHL's western franchises have made traveling difficult when prospects are recalled, among other concerns.

Fox Sports Arizona reports that the new division, which would require AHL approval, would ideally begin play in time for the 2015-16 season. Affiliates for the NHL's Coyotes, San Jose Sharks, Calgary Flames and Vancouver Canucks could be included in the division.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

AS I've said on the main board, Colt,

AZ has to renew the PDC after next season, but unless IA wants to own/operate another club in addition to the Coyotes, the next three years +, I don't see this happening....

that is a false rumor that got legs back in 2006-07 when the Ducks were here in Portland, nothing has come of it and the way it's being presented is just regurgitating old news.

Anaheim, AZ, AND Vancouver don't have the same setup as LA and SJ have with buying their top affiliates, in fact, Portland has never been operated by a NHL Club since it was founded, I suspect it will be discussed in the League meetings, but don't expect anything to come of it, DM should be focusing on an extension despite the turmoil between both organizations, AZ w/ the ownership, and POR w/ the arena issue hiccup this season.

why not see if the CHL Sundogs can be bought, and why relocate a franchise if the ECHL Team is in GA.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
You guys got Danny O'Donoghue! He'll be reporting to Portland and got a 2 year deal. I know the kid personally.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Scouting report? Google turns up very little.

Mercyhurst College announced on Friday that outgoing senior forward and NHL free agent Daniel O'Donoghue has signed a two-year entry level contract with the Phoenix Coyotes.

The first thing that jumps out about O'Donoghue is his enormous size. The big left winger from Long Island, NY is listed at 6'5" 201 lbs. He showed a deft scoring touch with the Lakers this season as well, netting 15 goals and 28 assists for a total of 43 points in 38 games played. He finished tied for 18th in the nation in scoring, and tied for sixth in scoring in Atlantic Hockey. He becomes the fifth player in Mercyhurst history to sign an NHL contract.

Legal name is Daniel, not Danny. PPG+ player in a weak college division. Good size though.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Damn, almost as big as Hanzal. Thanks, XX. Hopefully he works out.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Danny is 6'5, two way center. Back in juniors my dad used to throw him on D too given his size and hockey smarts.

Offensive ability is definitely there.

Love the kid but not sure he will make the NHL but I hope so. Sounds like you will have him as soon as this weekend and then he will have another year next year. I hope he sticks around! He was invited to the isles rookie camp which was sick to see and also went to the Capitals and I want to say the Flames. Caps offered him a contract but he wanted to finish college first.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Danny is 6'5, two way center. Back in juniors my dad used to throw him on D too given his size and hockey smarts.

Offensive ability is definitely there.

Love the kid but not sure he will make the NHL but I hope so. Sounds like you will have him as soon as this weekend and then he will have another year next year. I hope he sticks around! He was invited to the isles rookie camp which was sick to see and also went to the Capitals and I want to say the Flames. Caps offered him a contract but he wanted to finish college first.

Thanks for post. We seem to be on a size kick lately. If these kids pan out we could be one of the bigger teams in league (despite having Domi in the line-up) in next few years. San Jose Anaheim models.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
In Springfield; Domingue starts for POR;

AS For O'Donoghue, nothing confirmed on either the Pirates or Coyotes sites, Kevin.
Hutch... I tweeted it yesterday that O'Donoghue signed and Tyler Gaudet was assigned to PHX. As for the Coyotes, AHL western expansion..... It's going to happen likely in two years. Also, the Pirates affiliation agreement with the Coyotes expires at the end of the season. Both sides are working to renew.

Last edited:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Hutch... I tweeted it yesterday that O'Donoghue signed and Tyler Gaudet was assigned to PHX. As for the Coyotes, AHL western expansion..... I've just say this. It's going to happen likely in two years. Also, the Pirates affiliation agreement with the Coyotes expire this season. Both sides are working to renew.

I had a feeling both sides were talking or soon would be.

have you heard that the update from Phoenix to Arizona should be completed by the end of the NHL Season, Wildcat...

on ice, I don't know why we haven't or can't score lately vs Manchester, either here or in Manchester as the offense disappeared for the 2nd time in 3 days, 4-0.

Pirates host one of the three teams chasing the final two spots in Norfolk today @ 4.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad