Prospect Info: Portland Pirates AHL - Arizona Coyotes Minor League Affiliate III

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Edwards needs to be fired. There's just no way around it. Should be the first move the moment the clock clicks over on the last game.

Any hot college coaches or up and comers looking for a job?

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
AHL team:
Werek - RFA, he's gone. In fact he really owes the Coyotes money back
Kennedy - UFA, he's gone.
Hextall - UFA, he's gone.
Yip - UFA, he's gone.

Maybes:
Fairchild - UFA
Brodeur - RFA
Weller - RFA
Miele - UFA, I'd like to bring him back strictly to make AHL better

1yr remaining on ELC:
Dziurzynski - too bad can't cut this piece of crap
Lane - again, see above
Shinnimin - thought he'd turn into a decent player, I guess not so much
Louis - another guy I'd like to remove from the lineup
Martinook - seems to be coming around the last 10 games, maybe another year and he'll take a step up

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Sadly I think we'll lose Miele. Guys at this stage of their career usually sign with another team's AHL team to see if they get a shot in that organization.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Tyson Nash and Shane Doan's old Memorial Cup teammate Ryan Huska would be my top choice. Doubt he'd take the job, though.

What about bringing back Ulf? Would he go from NY to Portland for a chance to coach his son?

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Edwards needs to be fired. There's just no way around it. Should be the first move the moment the clock clicks over on the last game.

Any hot college coaches or up and comers looking for a job?

Why? What has Edwards done poorly?

Edwards record as head coach since he was promoted with the Rampage to today:

09-10: 30-23-9
10-11: 40-33-7
11-12: 36-31-9
12-13: 41-30-5
13-14: 24-34-2

He's had a winning AHL record in every season but this one and he's had a hand in training several of the young players that are on the Coyotes roster today, acclimating them to this particular defensive-oriented system.

I give Edwards a pass on this year for two reasons. One is the arena issues. The other is that Treliving gave him a very poorly designed AHL team to work with. Incredibly young goaltending and no veteran defensive support for a defense-focused farm club. Really?! There's precious little the Edwards could have really done with this club if that's the bones he was building from in training camp.

I'm fine with keeping Edwards through the start of next season and seeing if the club can bounce back with some different on-ice personnel.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Firing an AHL coach because of a poor record is like firing your goaltending coach because he can't drive a bus. It's pretty much irrelevant to his actual duties.

Your AHL team exists for two reasons: to develop players and to produce call-up ready veterans to step in on your NHL team in a pinch. When Klinkhammer, Johnson, McMillan, et al have been called up, they've all been able to slot right into Tippett's system, and the young players seem to mostly be developing fine down there.

TheHoff

Apr 11, 2007
What do you guys think about Tobias Rieder? I think his 28 (or so?) goals this season are pretty good for a rookie campaign, but that's pretty much everything I can say after looking at his stats. Can anyone give us more insight of how he does at the Pirates? Does he have a shot to make the Yotes next season?

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
What do you guys think about Tobias Rieder? I think his 28 (or so?) goals this season are pretty good for a rookie campaign, but that's pretty much everything I can say after looking at his stats. Can anyone give us more insight of how he does at the Pirates? Does he have a shot to make the Yotes next season?

he actually has 27, so does Miele, btw.

he's actually got some upside since an early-season injury on opening night, DOUBTFUL you'd see him next season in AZ, USUALLY it's 2 years or a specific skill set to be noticed.

btw, folks, Albany vs. Portland is now the 16th, instead of the 18th due to a schedule issue in Lewiston.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Why? What has Edwards done poorly?

Edwards record as head coach since he was promoted with the Rampage to today:

09-10: 30-23-9
10-11: 40-33-7
11-12: 36-31-9
12-13: 41-30-5
13-14: 24-34-2

He's had a winning AHL record in every season but this one and he's had a hand in training several of the young players that are on the Coyotes roster today, acclimating them to this particular defensive-oriented system.

I give Edwards a pass on this year for two reasons. One is the arena issues. The other is that Treliving gave him a very poorly designed AHL team to work with. Incredibly young goaltending and no veteran defensive support for a defense-focused farm club. Really?! There's precious little the Edwards could have really done with this club if that's the bones he was building from in training camp.

I'm fine with keeping Edwards through the start of next season and seeing if the club can bounce back with some different on-ice personnel.

the arena issues were out of everyone's control, Kaizen, including Edwards, and have since been resolved with the management changes within the ownership, so that is not an "excuse",

the poorly designed team isn't on Treliving, but on Don Maloney, Treliving is just the liason between the two franchises, and he's not with us on a consistent basis, ie scouting during the INT'L tournaments, in his job for the Coyotes.

I'm not sure if the reins on getting new ownership for the 1st time in 4 years played a role in why we've slipped to where we are this year.

Minard's situation didn't help either, but tht's been resolved.

maybe we overachieved to where our potential/talent was in 2012-13 and going in to '13/14, because both years were an odd mix, between the lockout and expectations.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
AHL team:
Werek - RFA, he's gone. In fact he really owes the Coyotes money back
Kennedy - UFA, he's gone.
Hextall - UFA, he's gone.
Yip - UFA, he's gone.

Maybes:
Fairchild - UFA
Brodeur - RFA
Weller - RFA
Miele - UFA, I'd like to bring him back strictly to make AHL better

1yr remaining on ELC:
Dziurzynski - too bad can't cut this piece of crap
Lane - again, see above
Shinnimin - thought he'd turn into a decent player, I guess not so much
Louis - another guy I'd like to remove from the lineup
Martinook - seems to be coming around the last 10 games, maybe another year and he'll take a step up

who do you expect the Pirates vets to be then, Sin, would be the ?, if we dump Yip, Kennedy, Hextall, and Miele goes elsewhere, there's not a lot of options.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
He lost control of the team on some nights.

same can be said of Tippett, and any other coaches, XX, CARE TO ELABORATE on why the Coyotes fell from the Conference Finals to out of the playoffs, and why did Ice Arizona extend both DM and DT, and how does any of that have to do w/ the affiliate?

KG

Sep 23, 2010
If this is Edwards first losing season as posted, then it may very well be on the team assembled for him and not on Edwards himself

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
same can be said of Tippett, and any other coaches, XX, CARE TO ELABORATE on why the Coyotes fell from the Conference Finals to out of the playoffs, and why did Ice Arizona extend both DM and DT, and how does any of that have to do w/ the affiliate?

You are weirdly combative about this.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
You are weirdly combative about this.

because I, frankly am sick and tired of fans who don't know the situation think they have the solution that solely getting rid of Edwards will fix the issue, if that happens, development takes a step back and how does that benefit both organizations?

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
Hutch... Just Stop! You don't know everything that's going on either so you really need to tone it down because you're going to make people angry enough that they'll eventually discount everything you say. Just chill out.

Now back to the topic....

Personal opinion is that Edwards isn't going anywhere. While winning is important he has developed a handful of players now with the Coyotes. I'm working on a story that will address several topics including coaching. I will say that after talking with Treliving I get the sense that no change is coming in the coaching dept. If they were to make a change I think we'd likely see Playfair or King become the head coach and Edwards reassigned likely as an assistant working with the forwards and power play. Both know Tippett's system and can tout the company line.

Kiabur is pretty spot on with many of the facts that played a role in this season being such a disaster. It was the lease, Pirates’ ownership, roster, fan base, Minard and Edwards gets some blame in this as well.

The lease issue, timing of the lease issue and the late decision to make the change to play full time in Lewiston was a big factor. The travel to and from where many of the players had decided to live – Saco/OOB region – to Lewiston played a role. It was more than an hour travel one-way for some players and with the winter that we had it was tough travel at times. Also, the lack of fan support in the Lewiston/Auburn area was embarrassing. It played a role in the player’s performance. Most night’s it felt like a beer league game and the players played as such. I was one who touted that L/A could support a team and the Colisee would be packed every game. I was severely incorrect in that assessment. Lewiston lost a street cred with me moving forward.

The team itself was not very good. They had some pieces with Lessio, Rieder, Miele etc, but this team didn’t have enough to weather the tough times. There was no leadership on this team. There was no one to grab the team and assume leadership and lead the youngster through the tough times. It was a lot of “let’s figure it out as we go”.

Your AHL team exists for two reasons: to develop players and to produce call-up ready veterans to step in on your NHL team in a pinch. When Klinkhammer, Johnson, McMillan, et al have been called up, they've all been able to slot right into Tippett's system, and the young players seem to mostly be developing fine down there.

I won’t disagree that it’s the purpose of an AHL team to develop players for the NHL parent club, but I strongly disagree that it’s the only reason. Let’s not forget that the Portland Pirates franchise has been around longer than the Coyotes have been in PHX and have fanbase that needs to be catered to as well. The fanbase understands the role of the AHL team, but they don’t want to be used or – as in this season – abused. They want a winning franchise to support. Ownership has to sell tickets and winning sells and if you are winning you likely developing at the same time. Many here could care less about the Coyotes. They have no attachment to the team because of its location in proximity to Portland. This is a Boston Bruins/Montreal Canadians and I suspect Quebec Nordiques market when they eventually join the NHL as some point in the future. It was the same issue with the Anaheim Ducks. The difference was the Pirates were successful so it hid the distance. The Sabres had success as well, but they were a little closer to Portland so people could attend games, follow the team on TV and in the news. They were able to build a connection that I would assert still stands today. So, while the role of the AHL team may be to develop players for the NHL don’t discount the fan here in Portland. It’s disrespectful to those who choose to support the Pirates and lay down their hard earned money on season tickets and merchandise.

In terms of the team next season… It’s on the Coyotes to put a winner on the ice next season for the Pirates or I think the affiliation might be at risk. Under the Coyotes, the Pirates have missed the playoffs two out of the last three years and this season is going to go down as one of the worst in franchise history. The return to the Civic Center should yield a good team as the Coyotes have 13 players under contract and of the pending RFA going into next season I suspect most will be qualified. To me the exception on who will be qualified is with Weller and Brodeur. I think all the UFA’s are gone. I would like to see Miele re-signed, but I think he’s looking for a one-way contract or one that’s going to produce a better opportunity to play in the NHL. With the pieces in place, if the Coyotes need to bring in a several strong veterans the Pirates should be competitive.

Sorry, I’m not on as much as I used to be. This has been a very difficult year, not just the Pirates, but for myself as I’ve had to shift my attention to other areas in the Maine hockey world. People can still find me at FB page and on Twitter – if you want links just PM me – and of course there is the website. I’m working on making sure next year is a much better year for Portland Pirates coverage.

Last edited:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Gaudet, Samuelsson, and Hache should be good additions for Portland. Carey as well.

Saw this anecdote on an HF article about Domi

Domi has all the talent in the world, earning recognition as the third-best playmaker, second-best skater, and third-best stickhandler in the OHL coaches’ poll.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
Troubling times for the Portland Pirates
By Chris Roy | April 8, 2014

LEWISTON – It wouldn’t be out of the question to say that the 2013-’14 season has been anything less than disastrous for the Portland Pirates.

In fact, if they wanted to put an asterisk on the season it would certainly be understandable with everything that’s transpired over the last nine months, beginning with a lease dispute between the Pirates and the Cumberland County Civic Center, playing in front of less than stellar crowds at the Androscoggin Bank Colisee and their assistant coach being fired for allegedly soliciting sex from a 13-year-old minor.

READ MORE

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad