Player Discussion Pontus Aberg

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
He must be elated going from Tinder Edmonton to Tinder Anaheim!

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I didn't watch all the pre-season games, but I though Yamamoto was one of our better wingers.

Absolutely.
Yamamoto and Puljujarvi were the teams best Right wingers not named Rattie IMO.
Rieder was 4th and I actually think that by the last game Caggiula was better than Aberg.

Aberg is a very vanilla player...he doesnt have any grit to his game...he is a good skater but doesnt really accomplish much of anything. He doesnt PK and he isnt smart enough to be a top 6 player.

As I said very vanilla. I will be surprised if he sticks as an NHL player.

I wish him well though.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Half a point a game last season and didn't bleed goals against.

Much better than Caggiula for example who is a negative on the ice (at almost 3 times the cost).

I didn't see a lot from Chiasson either... but he'd also be better than Caggiula simply on cost and the fact he's just as good offensively and not as bad defensively.

Kassian I like but he's pretty much ineffective at the NHL level (and he's 3 times the cost of Aberg as well) if he can't play an aggressive role any longer. Effectively neutered into an AHL level player by the league/refs.

Last season he had 16 points in 53 games, that's not really half point.

Unless you consider his points on the Oliers, where he got 5 points in 2 games against OTT and CAr and 3 points in the other 13 games.. Which emphasizes what small sample 16 games is, 2 very good games and 13 bad games= half point a game.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Last season he had 16 points in 53 games, that's not really half point.

Unless you consider his points on the Oliers, where he got 5 points in 2 games against OTT and CAr and 3 points in the other 13 games.. Which emphasizes what small sample 16 games is, 2 very good games and 13 bad games= half point a game.

Yes... was just referring to his pts with the Oilers where he was half a point a game. Yep... 16 games is a small sample.

He had wheels and some decent offensive skills when played with other decent offensive players.

He's gone... so be it. He needed to be much better in camp to beat out Kassian/Caggiula who were pretty much locks on the rosters because... reasons.

I would make a guess as well that he'll have more points and a better +/- than all of Kassian/Caggiula/Chiasson will this season.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I didn't watch all the pre-season games, but I though Yamamoto was one of our better wingers.

He was. Aberg didn’t look bad out there, except for the times when he wouldn’t shoot, but I wouldn’t go as far to say he looked good. Definitely not as good as Yamamoto.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
He's gone... so be it. He needed to be much better in camp to beat out Kassian/Caggiula who were pretty much locks on the rosters because... reasons.

I would make a guess as well that he'll have more points and a better +/- than all of Kassian/Caggiula/Chiasson will this season.

The issue is that he is not a shutdown type of player. He cannot defend, he cannot kill penalties , he cannot hit.

He was not competing against those guys, and he was outplayed by everyone else...

Reactions: guymez

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Aberg was absolutely atrocious for us tonight, lol.

If he is to get things on track, it won't happen overnight. He's passable as a NHL player but should be better with his speed and shot. He's like Gilbert Brule except he shies from contact and the trenches.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Two straight two goal games and he's now the leading goalscorer for the Ducks.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
4 goals now for the Ducks and he’s on the top line, oh please don’t let this be another talent that slipped through the Oilers hands. I forgot, did we ever audition him next to McDavid in his short stint here?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Good for him, if he keeps it up it's even more ammunition not to trade Puljujarvi.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I was never really a big fan of letting Aberg go but once you get in Todd's shit book, you're never getting out. In general we need to stop putting so much stock into pre-season too.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
4 goals now for the Ducks and he’s on the top line, oh please don’t let this be another talent that slipped through the Oilers hands. I forgot, did we ever audition him next to McDavid in his short stint here?
Guys like him can succeed. Hard to judge. I seen a guy who worked his tail off. Hustles, etc. Not low on IQ. Just didn't see him long enough and he was eating pop corn and stuck down on the roster.. Kudos to him.

Will be funny if he turns into a nice good player. I swear more than half of these scouts and GM's just get lucky.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Aberg had 7 points in a 4 game stretch with us and then just one point in the other 12 games he suited up as an Oiler. When he's desperate and hungry to prove himself he can play well, it's just never seems to last for him and playing with Rakell and Getzlaf seems like a cushy assignment, those two do a ton of the hard work.

As Senor Catface pointed out we have Chiasson with 4 goals in 6 GP +/-= +5 compared to the 4 goals in 7 games played +/-= -1 for Aberg and I highly doubt we sign him Chiasson if we kept Aberg with the big club.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Lets also keep in mind they waived him as well.

He's played 7 of 13 games for him. He might be leading them in goals that's more to do with just how bad ANA's offense has been to start.

And hey, if he finally has it figured out, good for him. He's still young enough that he could be a player in this league, but a lot of why he's been waived is because he doesn't know what it means to be a NHL professional.

Reactions: TheNumber4

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Wish we kept Aberg over Caggs but what’s done is done.

But why? Because of 2 good games in Anaheim?

As has been mentioned, Chiasson has 4 goals anyway and I doubt he is signed if Aberg earned a spot so not a big deal. Good for him if he can turn his career around, it obviously wasn't happening here.

Reactions: Oilers in NS

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
But why? Because of 2 good games in Anaheim?

As has been mentioned, Chiasson has 4 goals anyway and I doubt he is signed if Aberg earned a spot so not a big deal. Good for him if he can turn his career around, it obviously wasn't happening here.

I wish I had of bought stock in Apple when it first came out. Hindsight is a great thing

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Wish we kept Aberg over Caggs but what’s done is done.

Why? Talk to us around Christmas about this and see if you still feel the same way. Aberg was garbage here. Typical HFB's garbage. Form opinions about players after a couple games of success or non-success.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Aberg won't keep it up. That said I didn't like getting rid of him. We needed his speed. At this point he looks better than Riedier and how much more are we paying him?

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Aberg won't keep it up. That said I didn't like getting rid of him. We needed his speed. At this point he looks better than Riedier and how much more are we paying him?

He might "look" better than Reider, but he isn't. Aside from goal scoring ability Reider is overall a better player. He plays hard almost every shift, PKs well, and has understated vision and playmaking ability. He's already one of our best wingers and probably our best natural winger at this time. Reider is an absolute steal at $2 million this year so far and I hope he gets extended. Aberg, while I like the player when he's "on" (which is hardly ever), is one or two more cold streaks from going back to Sweden.

JayE

Sep 24, 2016

Rieder has been a very solid two-way player so far and is definitely worth his contract.

Reactions: Blue line Howie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad