Player Discussion Pontus Aberg

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Half a point a game last season and didn't bleed goals against.

Much better than Caggiula for example who is a negative on the ice (at almost 3 times the cost).

I didn't see a lot from Chiasson either... but he'd also be better than Caggiula simply on cost and the fact he's just as good offensively and not as bad defensively.

Kassian I like but he's pretty much ineffective at the NHL level (and he's 3 times the cost of Aberg as well) if he can't play an aggressive role any longer. Effectively neutered into an AHL level player by the league/refs.

Reactions: ujju2 and nabob

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Doubt it. If a guy can't make an impression on team that's already super weak on the wing, then I doubt he'll generate much interest around the league.
I am not sure that this narrative holds right now. Rattie, Yamamoto and Puljujarvi have really stepped up in the preseason. Nuge is a lock. Khaira has also been very good and Reider has come on. And finally that leaves Lucic to fill out the top 9 plus 1. That leaves Aberg competing with Kassian, Caggiula, and Chaisson for one bottom six slot and two pb seats.

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014
Too bad Eh-berg (should be Ahberg) didn't pan out. Hopefully he will pass through waivers and be able get something going in Bakersfield.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Just wasn't very smart this pre-season and wasn't effective because of that. Twice in a game I saw him receive a tough to get through cross ice pass, and he elects to pass it instead of rip it. When you are gifted with a pass that somehow makes it through the oppositions' legs and sticks and makes the opposing goaltender have to quicky reset you shoot the damn thing. Aside from that blunder he was just overall ineffective. I think with Aberg, there's enough speed and skill there to be an NHLer, but the instincts are off. Maybe sometime in the AHL to build his confidence and hunger will do him good.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Half a point a game last season and didn't bleed goals against.

Much better than Caggiula for example who is a negative on the ice (at almost 3 times the cost).

I didn't see a lot from Chiasson either... but he'd also be better than Caggiula simply on cost and the fact he's just as good offensively and not as bad defensively.

Kassian I like but he's pretty much ineffective at the NHL level (and he's 3 times the cost of Aberg as well) if he can't play an aggressive role any longer. Effectively neutered into an AHL level player by the league/refs.

Chiasson and Kassian are bottom-6 PK types. Aberg doesn't fit that role. Between him and Caggiula... I couldn't care less. Neither are overly effective. Sadly, Drake is making $$$$ so that's why we are keeping him up.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I will defend Caggiula from time to time, but I never understood the player. If he did reach max potential, what NHL comparable would he be?

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
Claimed by Anaheim, i'm kinda disappointed how this played out. Thought he'd secure a place in the middle 6, guess I was wrong.

Now who's going to be the #1 RW on the Condors? Aberg could've been important in Bakersfield..

Reactions: Aerrol

FanOfSadTeam

Dec 12, 2010
He must be elated. I never got the sense he wanted to be here. Didn't look too happy when he was traded here.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
So with hindsight would have been better to go for the 4th rounder then.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
He was better than Cagguila (sp?), Kassian, and Yamamoto.
Maybe he was poor offensively, but he was was good on defence and could hang on to the puck. Wish him success on the Ducks, but not against us!

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I also liked the pickup even if it didn't play out well. I definitely thought more of him as a fit next to McDavid than Rattie, given the wheels. I have many complaints about Chia but this isn't one of them.

Good gamble, didn't pay off, oh well. The fact that Anaheim picked him up shows at least one other pretty good GM sees a potential NHL player in him.

Reactions: PulYou

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
He was better than Cagguila (sp?), Kassian, and Yamamoto.
Maybe he was poor offensively, but he was was good on defence and could hang on to the puck. Wish him success on the Ducks, but not against us!

I didn't watch all the pre-season games, but I though Yamamoto was one of our better wingers.

Reactions: nabob and ujju2

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I could see him fitting in well with Anaheim. I'm sure he knows Rakell and Lindholm.

Reactions: ujju2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad