Player Discussion Pontus Aberg

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
What are your expectations on Aberg's upcoming season?

In 2016-17 he has 31 goals in 56 games in the AHL.

Could we see him get some time in the top 6?

in the AHL? of course he will.

on the Oilers, likely not.
Unless he has a training camp that blows people away, I think he'll just remain a fringe player.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
What are your expectations on Aberg's upcoming season?

In 2016-17 he has 31 goals in 56 games in the AHL.

Could we see him get some time in the top 6?

He lost the coaches trust last year and Todd looks like a guy who you don't get too many chances with. He is the 13th forward right now imo. I don't mind him and Cagguila being those in and out guys, but I'd be shocked if he saw any top 6 minutes unless some injuries occur.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
8 points in 16 games to finish the year is solid. For whatever reason his goal scoring at every other level doesn’t seem to translate to the NHL.

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
As long as we keep expectations reasonable he could be a good little player. He is like Omark--but with better people skills.

I think he could be a good sliding player who can move up and down the roster when needed

For me our whole right side (-Kassian) are players who can slip in and out of spots when called upon

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I'm not sure what type of player Aberg will be at this stage... and I don't think many others do either as he's only played 68 games.

He's greener than JP in terms of NHL experience so I'd actually like to see more from him before coming to any conclusion.

He has some decent speed and at least some offensive ability and appears to not be a black hole defensively so he has some arrows pointing in the right direction at least.

On a team with plenty of holes on the wings up and down the lineup he likely won't get a better opportunity to crack an NHL roster than here in Edmonton. If he doesn't pan out... my guess is he likely goes back to Europe as he's 25 shortly... and that's a make or break type age for a forward at the NHL level.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
RW Depth entering the season:
Puljujarvi, Rattie, Yamamoto, Aberg, Kassian

IMO Aberg will be on the team because of his cheap cap hit. His playing time however is TBD by what the 3 guys that I listed in front of him does and what does. I'm hoping that Rattie picks up where he left off and that Puljujarvi and Yamamoto take big steps forward.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
It'll frankly surprise me if Aberg is still playing in North America by the time I flip my calendar to January 2019.

He'll need to come into camp in the best shape of his life and completely wow the coaching staff in order for McLellan to deign to give him a fighting chance. Like other have stated, this coach's doghouse is not easy to escape from.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
It'll frankly surprise me if Aberg is still playing in North America by the time I flip my calendar to January 2019.

He'll need to come into camp in the best shape of his life and completely wow the coaching staff in order for McLellan to deign to give him a fighting chance. Like other have stated, this coach's doghouse is not easy to escape from.

He'll have to play somebody, keep Pontus around just so that Jesse gets chances!

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
The very small chance that he breaks out is worth keeping him on as a 13th forward.
But I think what you see is what you get. What we see is someone who can score the odd goal with top six forwards but can’t be relied upon to be there routinely. That’s fine by me. Anything he can produce is a bonus when you’re not on the roster every game

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The very small chance that he breaks out is worth keeping him on as a 13th forward.
But I think what you see is what you get. What we see is someone who can score the odd goal with top six forwards but can’t be relied upon to be there routinely. That’s fine by me. Anything he can produce is a bonus when you’re not on the roster every game

He's making $650K next season so that also helps considering our cap crunch.

Reactions: Pointteen

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I think he's going to be good for us. Just needs some confidence. Definitely deserves a shot after going 0.5 PPG on a brand new team and new system. He's going to surprise a lot of you.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I think he's going to be good for us. Just needs some confidence. Definitely deserves a shot after going 0.5 PPG on a brand new team and new system. He's going to surprise a lot of you.

I’m hoping so. He’s one of the guys I’ll be watching closely in camp. Could see him going to a team like Pittsburgh and getting a top 6 Chance and breaking out if we waive him.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Realistically he hasn't had much chance to show success in the NHL. 68 games in an unsteady environment of call-up isn't always telling. Maybe he can succeed given a stable spot in the lineup.

But I really have no expectation for Aberg, outside of being a guy you can sort of remember playing for the Oilers when you're looking at the internet in ten years.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Gun to my head if I had to pick Aberg or Caggiula I'd take Aberg.

So he's got that going for him, not that being better than Caggiula says much.

I agree. He kinda reminds me of Nylander a little. I would like to see what we have with him. He has a shot and some wheels

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I kinda wish we had Lander instead of him.

Lander was defensively alright, and was a PK beast (McDavid of the AHL).

Do we still own Lander's rights?

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
My personal opinion. He is an Ahl player. Or Khl player. I dont think he will ever do anything in the Nhl.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I like the player, not sure what he'll be though. I have time for him as the extra forward this season with potential to move up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->