Player Discussion Pontus Aberg

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
He looked great in the 2017 playoffs for Nashville. Hopefully he learns from last year's so-so performance at the NHL level and brings it for opening night. There are a lot of guys on this team who need to have a more consistent motor and I think he's one of them. This team should watch videos of the late 90's Oilers to cure that.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I agree with those saying he's a 13th/14th F. But I kind of like having an extra guy who can step into a top 6 role in a pinch. Much rather have someone like that than a Zach Stortini type player.

I don't have much hope that he's going to establish himself as a full time NHLer. But for 650K you literally can't get any cheaper.

Reactions: RebuildTheRebuild

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Someone within the management or coaching must really like this guy. He's a guy that pissed off the whole coaching staff and team last year, but is pretty much a depth player right now.

When's the last time a depth guy that pissed off everyone stuck around?

Unless they couldn't move him and plan on waiving him.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Someone within the management or coaching must really like this guy. He's a guy that pissed off the whole coaching staff and team last year, but is pretty much a depth player right now.

Chiarelli needs another middling trade to work, because he shits the bed on the big ones.

That and he has the talent and ability to play a top 6 role, on a league minimum contract which is what the next 8 years of the Oilers will look like with our top end contracts.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I agree with those saying he's a 13th/14th F. But I kind of like having an extra guy who can step into a top 6 role in a pinch. Much rather have someone like that than a Zach Stortini type player.

I don't have much hope that he's going to establish himself as a full time NHLer. But for 650K you literally can't get any cheaper.
I agree with this. He's a guy who could take a few games in the top 6 as an injury replacement and possibly go on a little streak. And you can do that without reshuffling all the lines. Having a replacement like Stortini means multiple players have to make adjustments because of one injury.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012

Who do they have to replace him?

The team lost a couple depth guys already and Aberg is both young and cheap there's no reason to throw him away over missing practice one time.

oilynutz

Dec 30, 2007
Young, Right handed, fast, has had good stats at every level he's played so far. Seems like he is a good darkhorse candidate to breakout next year. Excited to see how hungry he comes into camp.

Reactions: BoldNewLettuce

McDaddy

ruh roh
Jan 22, 2017
Edmonton
Young, Right handed, fast, has had good stats at every level he's played so far. Seems like he is a good darkhorse candidate to breakout next year. Excited to see how hungry he comes into camp.
Not only that, my girlfriend thinks he's damn sexy too. :thumbu:

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017

He seemed to remind me a little of Nylander. Aberg has the wheels and a wicked shot. I would like to see what we have here. Nashville was very deep. I would like to see what we have here. Rattie is another interesting one as well. He scored in junior and got buried in the depth chart in St. Louis

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I said it before... but the nice thing with Aberg is that he is theoretically in his prime now... 24 and about to turn 25 before the season starts, so you don't have to sit around wondering what you have with him. If he shows little to nothing in camp, you punt him to the AHL and his minimum salary has zero cap impact on the team.

Maybe he even has his contract mutually terminated at that point and he heads back to Europe... and the contract spot isn't even an issue.

Personally though I'm actually a little optimistic because he should be hungry as hell for a last kick at the can for an NHL job and with all the winger job positions open on this team, there's absolutely no reason he can't grab one if he uses his speed/skill to his fullest abilities.

These types of player acquisitions are potentially the best bang for the buck... minimum salary/cap hit for a player that should be very highly motivated to perform.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I don't know that he'll make it, but you have to think he would want to give it one last shot while he's young enough.
Best fwd on the championship team last season, player of the week in the final series, and off to 4 pts in 3 GP this season. He's doing alright :).

I hope he comes back over for another go, even if it turns out he cannot keep up I'd want to see him try again.

Back to Aberg, I loved that edm got him and still hold a bit of hope, but last season wasn't great imo and I don't know if there will be space for him this season. If he steps up great, but right now I don't know what he really adds to the team. Still young, cheap, fast and with good hands though so you never know if he'll manage to break out or not.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Best fwd on the championship team last season, player of the week in the final series, and off to 4 pts in 3 GP this season. He's doing alright :).

I hope he comes back over for another go, even if it turns out he cannot keep up I'd want to see him try again.

Back to Aberg, I loved that edm got him and still hold a bit of hope, but last season wasn't great imo and I don't know if there will be space for him this season. If he steps up great, but right now I don't know what he really adds to the team. Still young, cheap, fast and with good hands though so you never know if he'll manage to break out or not.
Spot is there for them he just has to step up and take it. Has the skill set to put up points and did actually have the 6th best PPG on the club last year up front. Like Rattie it was in very limited action, so he'll have to continue to show he can produce

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Spot is there for them he just has to step up and take it. Has the skill set to put up points and did actually have the 6th best PPG on the club last year up front. Like Rattie it was in very limited action, so he'll have to continue to show he can produce

Sometimes guys have bad years where things aren't clicking and the off-season break helps get them out of their funk and refocus. Hopefully that's the case for Aberg because he looked good in the 2017 playoffs for Nashville.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad