Speculation: POLL: Would you match the offer sheet on KK ?

Would you match the offer sheet ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

PuckNorris

Mar 11, 2008
Montreal
You gather all your guys in a room. Coaches, scouts, trainers. You ask yourself where you see Kotkaniemi in 2-3 years and the probability of him getting there. If the consensus is he's not likely (under 50% chance) to develop into a top 2 center, then you do not match. He's going into his 4th season in the NHL. If he puts up between 30-40 points, it will decrease his trade value below a 1st and a 3rd. Not to mention, the amount of fan attention he will get making $6.1m will be enormous.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I don't think it's Waddell. This is Dundon all the way. I actually like the Canes and think our Aho offersheet was a crock of shit and sleazy. While I respect some things about the way the Hurricanes handle their hockey, I think there's some major red flags around Dundon and I think he's got major power regarding personnel moves which I don't think looks great. On the surface, this is a contender that made itself worse because they lowballed Hamilton and Ned. Which they then replaced with Anderson and DeAngelo. And that's when they should be gunning for it!

And then overpay for KK. They were scared of Nedeljkovic's arbitration award & he ultimately signs in Detroit for $3m. Then they turn around and offer KK $6.1m. Yeah, ok.

Reactions: sandviper and Tyson

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Why would you assume KK wants out of Montreal. Lets be honest, in a career where one hit can end your career there is not a person here who would not have taken the offer. Anyone that says otherwise is either full of cow shit or a fool.

He agreed to that $20 bonus which everyone knows was a huge middle finger to the organisation. To me it shows he didn't mind embarrasing them.

Jul 6, 2016
Montreal will take the maximum 7 days to decide, as they should. They don't need to ham it up like Carolina does.
If Bergevin finds a dancing partner and get a #2 center man within the next 4-5 days, he will let KK go. But if he can't find anything valuable, then he should keep him.

Among center men of interest

JT Miller ( Vancouver needs money to re sign Patterson and Hughes)

Hertl.

Monahan

Strome. (Any of the two brothers)

Johannson

Dvorak

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
48 hours later and still no announcement?

The team has a week to decide, they will use all that time even if they have made their decision since there's nothing to gain by announcing before you are forced to.

Reactions: Kojo

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
Colorado, Carolina have matched the offersheets within hours. The Habs don't like KK if this decision is so hard to make.
Carolina didn't match the offer sheet within hours (mod)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Mandala

Mark9988

Aug 29, 2021
Suzuki, Danault, Armia, Anderson, Domi, etc.

those players have not improved the team one bit, and two of them are gone,

if MB wins all his trades, why has this team finished 18th and 24th the past two seasons?

you are what your record says you are

this team only won 24 out of 56 games last season

Reactions: PaulD

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
those players have not improved the team one bit, and two of them are gone,

if MB wins all his trades, why has this team finished 18th and 24th the past two seasons?

you are what your record says you are
So why did you mention Petry? Why did he improve the team, but all those other players make the team worse?

You make no sense. All the players I and others have listed as acquired in traded were clear wins. The only truly bad trade made by Bergevin was Drouin for Sergachev.

Reactions: dralaf and Gains

Mark9988

Aug 29, 2021
All the players I and others have listed as acquired in traded were clear wins.

a trade is only a win if it improves the team, if it doesn't improve the team, then its a sideways move at best

the team is no better since aquiring any of the players you listed

Reactions: PaulD

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Montreal will take the maximum 7 days to decide, as they should. They don't need to ham it up like Carolina does.
Carolina took seven days to match the crock of an offer sheet Bergevin penciled up for Aho. Great deal for Canes by the way. Point a game player.

NMacrules

May 30, 2021
I'd match, but he wouldn't see a minute of ice time out of spite. I'd ruin him. His skill level would start to suck and then he can go play in europe where they dont care about loyalty.

By signing, KK basically said "go eff yourself" to his organization and team mates. And he did it with that cringeworthy grin on his face.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
So why did you mention Petry? Why did he improve the team, but all those other players make the team worse?

You make no sense. All the players I and others have listed as acquired in traded were clear wins. The only truly bad trade made by Bergevin was Drouin for Sergachev.
That was a great trade trade! ....for Sergachev, his team mates and the fans of Tampa Bay.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Carolina took seven days to match the crock of an offer sheet Bergevin penciled up for Aho. Great deal for Canes by the way. Point a game player.
If it was such a great deal, Dundon wouldn't be nursing a grudge for two years. It was a great deal for Aho. For Carolina... not so much.

Reactions: dralaf

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
If it was such a great deal, Dundon wouldn't be nursing a grudge for two years. It was a great deal for Aho. For Carolina... not so much.
The grudge is for the intention. Makes Dundon vindictive I agree. But it doesn't change the fact the Canes got Aho signed to a great cap friendly deal.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Why would you assume KK wants out of Montreal. Lets be honest, in a career where one hit can end your career there is not a person here who would not have taken the offer. Anyone that says otherwise is either full of cow shit or a fool.
Agreed. People love adding their own storylines onto these things, but the reality is that KK was offered a massive overpayment – a bribe, basically – and he took it. Most players would. Like Aho did. Aho was happy to walk away from Carolina for a fair market price; Bergevin didn't even need to throw a ridiculous number at him, like Dundon did with Kotkaniemi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad