Speculation: Poll: Who would you Fire, if anyone

Who needs to go

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Not sure if that was their choice. Bednar was offered a head coaching job in the NHL, Larsen has not been given that chance.
I mean if they would have offered him Assist. coach job for Jackets he would have refused it anyway? You just don't let a coach that just won a Calder Cup walk.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Torts is getting smoked. 26 out of 28 calling for his head.

JD only 4 of 28? You guys getting free tix from him or something?

Zarathustra

This is not my hat.
Nov 21, 2007
Salzburg
Almost every single one of our players is having a horrible year. I'm not sure you can look at that and say there isn't a coaching issue.

Jarmo signed some bad contracts early on, but he's also responsible for most of our defense (Jones, Nutivaara, Kukan, Werenski, Harrington, Carlsson, who he traded up to get) and he's not afraid to be aggressive in the trade market, bringing in Jones, and turning basically what was Anisimov and Dano into Panarin.

I also think Dubois is going to turn out to be a really good center. I don't like every move and Jarmo definitely has some legitimate criticisms, but considering how poorly pretty much every one of our players are playing under Torts, how bad our power play is, etc. I think there's a coaching issue. Had Jarmo not made the Panarin trade, we're likely looking at an even worse record as well.

That being said, I'm growing impatient with Jarmo too, but I'd rather see what we do with a new coach before we get a new GM.

JD I don't have much of an opinion on, but I think Torts was brought in largely because of JD, so take that for what it's worth.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Wouldn’t fire anybody. Last year’s team wildly overachieved. The front office has made a commitment to doing it the right way and building through the draft. Firing a coach, Gm, or President doesn’t change a roster full of grinders.

Well we have a lot of grinders but we also have some skill. Problem is grinders get way more ice time than the skilled guys. Second problem is that the two factions don't mix well. Coaching seems to ignore offense which seems to me to be a mistake. Can't fire the team but you can fire the coach(es).

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I need clarification before I can answer this question - although right now I'm on board for the Amalric-ian "Kill (Fire) em all and let God sort em out."

The team was better last year. Most of the season, even when it wasn't as successful, the players looked like they understood what they were doing and played in concert.

Offseason Brandon Saad is moved for Artemi Panarin.

This year the team looks totally out of sorts. But Panarin, supremely skilled, seems to be the only piece on offense that's working.

Conclusion, Panarin is great and rest of team sucks, must get rid of as much of rest of team as possible and remake team in Panarin's image.

Can someone explain this to me? If you've been paying attention, I'm pretty open minded, or at least willing to be convinced. I'll admit that the notion that Panarin being great shakes doesn't do it for me in this on-the-road-to-being-wasted season. But if we can allow for a moment that the above narrative is true, then why has that become the case? Why is a group of guys who played so well together last year now such a hot mess?

It took a while but I finally figured it out...the team has finally run out of whatever high they were on from Craig Hartsburg's last motivational, win one for JPM, speech. Guy was a firebrand.You could tell from the in game interviews. And don't forget some of the guys never heard him live. Have to watch the youtubes.

Inquiring Minds

Jul 12, 2007
Grandview, Ohio
I don't know, is it the amateur scouts? Is it the development staff? Is it the GM? The coaching staff (all of them)?

I'm probably going to vote with my wallet and feet. I went from going to 40 games per season for 10 years down to about 10 games per season and now about 4-5 per season. Next year maybe none. I don't find them entertaining any more.
This. I gave up my partial STO a couple years ago, and my attendance has fallen more and more.
I've decided that this year's CBJ have regressed to the point they are no longer even competitive on a night-to-night basis.
The only reason I would go to a game now is to watch Bob make a dozen saves, maybe 1-2 of them truly memorable, before he gives up a goal on a 2-0 rush, and the game is over.
Last game I went to, the other team got whistled for a hook, and I said "Yay, a power-play" Then, a second later I said "Oh no. A power-play" The guy in front of me, turned, and said, "True"

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Torts is getting smoked. 26 out of 28 calling for his head.

JD only 4 of 28? You guys getting free tix from him or something?
No, most of us are just rational enough to know you don't just clean house in one off season. Fire Torts, if the team doesn't improve or show any difference next season, you move on up the ladder.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Almost every single one of our players is having a horrible year. I'm not sure you can look at that and say there isn't a coaching issue.

Jarmo signed some bad contracts early on, but he's also responsible for most of our defense (Jones, Nutivaara, Kukan, Werenski, Harrington, Carlsson, who he traded up to get) and he's not afraid to be aggressive in the trade market, bringing in Jones, and turning basically what was Anisimov and Dano into Panarin.

I also think Dubois is going to turn out to be a really good center. I don't like every move and Jarmo definitely has some legitimate criticisms, but considering how poorly pretty much every one of our players are playing under Torts, how bad our power play is, etc. I think there's a coaching issue. Had Jarmo not made the Panarin trade, we're likely looking at an even worse record as well.

That being said, I'm growing impatient with Jarmo too, but I'd rather see what we do with a new coach before we get a new GM.

JD I don't have much of an opinion on, but I think Torts was brought in largely because of JD, so take that for what it's worth.
Pretty much spot on with how I feel

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
I mean if they would have offered him Assist. coach job for Jackets he would have refused it anyway? You just don't let a coach that just won a Calder Cup walk.
There's more money in a head coaching job. If Bednar had the choice between being an assistant here and being a head coach and making more money in Colorado, the decision was probably pretty easy for him.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Well I had a well thought out post that I somehow deleted instead of post..

The summary is, that you guys have become spoiled brats after the 1 good year last year. Those of you who claimed then (last year) and now (this year) that the team is a "wildcard" or bubble team, still aren't happy that the team is currently just that. Every year the NHL has teams and individual players that play good (above expectations) and bad (below expectations). The current fan favorites are just "at fault" as the current scapegoats are for where this team is at... in the playoffs. Those of you who want big player or coaching/front changes, have zero answers besides "better", as if there are better options out there.

Did the team have to get 110 points this year to show you guys adequate "continued growth"?

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Such lazy thinking. And a badly constructed poll at the top of it all.

The fourth option should be "fire no one" but that's not self-serving enough for much of this crowd.

The bottom line with this season (so far) is that players aren't playing up to their potential. Torts' 'system' doesn't suck and is perfect for the level of skill of the CBJ as a whole (see 2016-17). The problem is, it all starts with winning battles - and the CBJ forwards lose more than they win more often than not. Firing people and bitching about this or that system is the lazy way out. This is on the players - specifically the forwards. The good news is they have it within themselves to do it if they can put forth the effort.

JD brings credibility to the CBJ. You don't fire a guy like that - the very notion is silly.

Jarmo has had his good decisions, bad decisions and medium decisions - like every other GM in the league.

Organizations have to grow through this stuff. The mentality that you have to flush everyone out if there isn't a successful season is modern sports fan mania at it's worst. God forbid you let an organization mature and grow under one regime - one misstep and someone or everyone needs fired. Fire everyone, hope to catch lightning in a bottle, then if not, fire everyone again - wash, rinse, repeat. Stupid.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Such lazy thinking. And a badly constructed poll at the top of it all.

The fourth option should be "fire no one" but that's not self-serving enough for much of this crowd.

The bottom line with this season (so far) is that players aren't playing up to their potential. Torts' 'system' doesn't suck and is perfect for the level of skill of the CBJ as a whole (see 2016-17). The problem is, it all starts with winning battles - and the CBJ forwards lose more than they win more often than not. Firing people and *****ing about this or that system is the lazy way out. This is on the players - specifically the forwards. The good news is they have it within themselves to do it if they can put forth the effort.

JD brings credibility to the CBJ. You don't fire a guy like that - the very notion is silly.

Jarmo has had his good decisions, bad decisions and medium decisions - like every other GM in the league.

Organizations have to grow through this stuff. The mentality that you have to flush everyone out if there isn't a successful season is modern sports fan mania at it's worst. God forbid you let an organization mature and grow under one regime - one misstep and someone or everyone needs fired. Fire everyone, hope to catch lightning in a bottle, then if not, fire everyone again - wash, rinse, repeat. Stupid.

6 years of JD and 5 years of Jarmo has netted 3 playoff wins. 3.

The farm system is a joke. The long term contracts save for Jones and Bob are all either bad or mediocre.

No. It's not "stupid" to want to clean house. The notion that JD gives the franchise "credibility", that may be. There are plenty of known hockey people who I'm sure would be thrilled to death to be the TP of the CBJ. Dumping JD would hardly reduce the "credibility" of the franchise.

The PP is dead last. With Panarin, Z and Jones. The PK is the fourth worst in the league. The team averages about the 5th worst goal output per game in the league. If it weren't for Bobrovski-whom the GM didn't sign to a 7 year deal when he had the optimal chance to do it-this would be a lottery team. Tortorella has been dropped the ball with special teams and his personnel usage. Boone Jenner has averaged 17 minutes per game. Slow, 5 goal (or is it 6?) Boone Jenner.

A first time GM whose track record is mixed, at best, has been given ample time to succeed. He hasn't. The Team President has had plenty of time to build the franchise as well. If no playoff series victories is an adequate performance for JD by your measure, then your standards are very low. I doubt that CBJ team revenues are anything to write home about either. So he hasn't excelled in either the business side nor the on ice side. He's 64. The team faces at least a retooling. Letting it be guided by a 64 year old with JD's track record, is,well, stupid.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
More important than ALL of that, I'd fire the person who decides what concession stands we have at Nationwide Arena. Would it kill you to have a little variety?!? Of all the NHL arenas I've been to, we have the most uninspiring concession stands of them all.

I'd get rid of whomever decided the pizza is Papa John's. The only thing worse would be Little Ceasar's, even my dog won't eat that.

Reactions: SuperGenius

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Will be interesting to see how much the team is affected (points/wins) during the tail end off the year, as the PP and PK both "regress" towards the mean. Although they wont lead the league in either, last year showed that THEY CAN deliver on the PP at a very good rate. Any player that is not on the team now (Gagner/Hartnell) is trumped by Panarin. And we have the players to have a very good PK also. Would rather NOT see JJ, Anderson, Wennberg on the PK's at all, for different reasons, but we have plenty others. Having a hopefully healthy Atkinson in addition to Vanek will be a big spark on the PP. Also like that it seems to be a "set" thing now, that Jones gets the 1st look on the PP over Werenski.
"Coaching" hasn't been the issue. Its a matter of luck and "execution" (actual on-ice play).
Both will undoubtedly be better than what they have been so far this year. The question is HOW MUCH better?

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Also, really hope this thread can be morphed into the, "Crow Preparation" or at the very least the "17/18 CBJ Playoff" thread..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad