Poll: Vote for your top 3 guys you feel can be moved for value at the next Trade deadline

3 guys you feel are not part of the 3+ year core while we rebuild and can be traded at the deadline?

• Total voters

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Honestly:

1) Petry
2) Gallagher
3) Price

However, these guys are pricey with long terms deals on the decline.

Drouin has negative value. Chiarot is likely to get the biggest return as a rental. Kulak gets you nothing.

Some team may give up a pick for Weber to reach the cap floor. Lek is a redundant player that no team would trade a pick for and Byron is an overly expensive injury prone player. Which team would really take Byron?

I would keep Toffoli because I rather build around him. Hoffman can be explosive with the right teammates. Anderson has a ridiculously crazy long deal.

So, don't see much there either than Chiarot and Toffoli getting good retuns.

Do they really want to trade Allen?

frenchcanayan

Jul 26, 2021
Everyone saying Toffoli and Hoffman are the same ones who would cry because we can’t sign UFA’s.

Show some respect to quality players that actually wants to play here…

this… is… not … EA sports (could drop this gem on almost any topic) lol let’s do some sign and trade for second round picks

Reactions: Maelpj93

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
Since we need to reach the cap floor, I would keep :

- Gallagher
- Anderson
- Byron
- Probably Petry
- Probably Toffoli

Reasoning : Their contract don't make them much attrative on the market (except for Toffoli). I feel like they are a good group of leaders, some with already long tenure with the Habs, The kind of guys who are happy to play in Montreal and that you can surround your youth with.

I may trade :

- Price, with retained salary
- Savard
- Drouin
- Allen (only if we keep Price)

Trading them or not depends of the value we can get for them.

I definitely try to trade :

- Dvorak
- Hoffman
- Chiarot
- Edmundson
- Lehkonen
- Armia
- Kulak

I definitely keep :

- Suzuki
- Caufield
- Evans
- Romanov
- Every other youngster

Reactions: dcyhabs

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
Everyone saying Toffoli and Hoffman are the same ones who would cry because we can’t sign UFA’s.

Show some respect to quality players that actually wants to play here…

this… is… not … EA sports (could drop this gem on almost any topic) lol let’s do some sign and trade for second round picks
Yeah I don't get the obsession with trading our newly signed UFA.

Montreal already isn't a favorite destination amongst NHLers, way to kill your chance of ever attracting quality UFAs in the long run if we plan to rebuild the proper way and hit a window for the cup eventually ( who the f am I kidding, it's obviously won't happen but still).

Reactions: frenchcanayan

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
The player who definitely needs to go is Chiarot. Big, tough D who is an excellent pker will be highly sought after for playoff teams.

He's top of the list.

After that, Drouin. He's off to a good start & only has one more year left. Hopefully, they'll be a market for him now, especially for teams requiring offense. Retain $2.5m (45%) and ask for a 1st or two 2nds. A team like the Caps might be interested and they have space.

3rd is Armia. This will be tough because he has 3 years left @ $3.4m. However, he had an excellent playoffs last year, brings size, forechecking & pk ability. I can see a team like Calgary being interested.

Even with the retention on Drouin, we save $5.9m against the cap next season.

Players we shouldn't trade, Edmundson, Petry, Evans, Anderson, anyone under 24.

I'm ok if we keep Toffoli and Hoffman.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
No, he had a plan in place when he first started. A very successful 5 year plan that even earned him an extension!!
Transition., character, no excuses, leadership is not a plan, it’s a bunch gibberish to lower expectations. I know you were being sarcastic, but the guy has been a complete failure. Building through the draft has us with one of the worst drsfting/development programs in the league. Along with poor pro results.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
No, he had a plan in place when he first started. A very successful 5 year plan that even earned him an extension!!

what success?

riding Hart level goalie in Price/and Norris caliber #1D in PK, both on RFA contracts, and league leading injury luck to a grand total of 3 playoff series wins in 5 years? While systematically dismantling the core he inherited to rebuild a team that is going through on of the worst 5-year stretches in franchise history?

you've got an odd definition of "successful" lol

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
what success?

riding Hart level goalie in Price/and Norris caliber #1D in PK, both on RFA contracts, and league leading injury luck to a grand total of 3 playoff series wins in 5 years? While systematically dismantling the core he inherited to rebuild a team that is going through on of the worst 5-year stretches in franchise history?

I think and hope he was joking. He’s been one of the worst gms in my lifetime. He’s ruined my passion for the team I followed my entire life. I know many fans feel the same.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
what success?

Dude, sarcasm lol !!

If you look back, I've been calling for Bergevin's head for 4 years now

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
It will a tough task to trade players with term. We were already headed towards a flat cap for a couple of years and now there are attendance issues in all the major rinks. Doesn't look like revenues will increase for a while.

And lol at trading Gallagher at 4M and Price at 6.5M. Molson won't pay over 6M per year for these guys to play elsewhere

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
Who would take Price with his contract?

When looking at who we can trade, we should take out who is nearly impossible to trade, and that would be Price and Gallagher. Were more likely to be able to trade Weber than either of those two, because at least he has value with cap hit vs salary.

Both Tiffoli and Hoffman have term, so they are definitely not rentals and would be harder to move. But, they could be moved.

Chiarot for sure.
Drouin if there are any takers.
Jake Allen could be moved if a team is willing to over pay, which typically doesn’t happen, but could happen if a team is desperate.

We should keep all our young guys unless there is an overpay situation.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
For years my nephew and I
Watched every Habs game, every season, win or lose, it’s what we did together. After MB was hired and then subsequently Michel Therrien our passion for the club has slowly diminished over time. We went from watching 82 games to roughly half to a handful and to this season where we haven’t watched a complete game.

They have done more damage than the product on the ice. I know many Habs fans that feel similarly. He has destroyed the culture and tradition in my family of what it use to mean to be a Habs fan. All the years of we’re a transition team, we’re lacking character bla bla. Trades are hard, no excuses for the players, but plenty of excuses for us mentality.

I’ve become more interested in the Raptors/Jays over the years and it’s largely because of their front offices. Masai/Webster/Shapiro/Atkins are what top front offices look like. When they say they plan to build from within, they do that. When it’s clear they don’t have the pieces they add or subtract and build like they promised. This is a club that supposedly prided itself on building through the draft (just a way to lower expectations) that produced one of the worst draft/development programs over the past decade. No accountability, no direction, no defence.

It’s mind blowing how the media and press have giving this management group a free pass.

Reactions: blarneylad

smarties 1

Mar 4, 2014
And lol at trading Gallagher at 4M and Price at 6.5M. Molson won't pay over 6M per year for these guys to play elsewhere

Why not ! Replace them with youngsters on cheep or entry level
contracts, Molson will save more than 6 M per year for these guys to play elsewhere.

IF you want to rebuilt, you don't need them.
The 6 M you save, trade that cap space for picks and prospects.
And for Gallagher Petry and Price give them a chance to win a cup with a good team..
Same applied for all vet's.

Create a new window around Suzuki.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
Why not ! Replace them with youngsters on cheep or entry level
contracts, Molson will save more than 6 M per year for these guys to play elsewhere.

IF you want to rebuilt, you don't need them.
The 6 M you save, trade that cap space for picks and prospects.
And for Gallagher Petry and Price give them a chance to win a cup with a good team..
Same applied for all vet's.

Create a new window around Suzuki.
If you think Molson would do that, you haven't been following the last 10 years

GammaAway

Jun 24, 2020
I wouldn't want to trade Lehkonen because of his age (and also being one of our rare natural left wings), if we imagine the young core needs leadership in say 5-6 years, he'll still be barely above 30 and unlikely to have declined too much. However, given the contract situation, if we are to try and maximize returns this year, he is one of the best trade options - I really struggle to believe he'd only fetch a 3rd like some people have suggested, specially if you can shed a bit of salary with the other trades and get creative - say, Lehkonen to Florida for Hornqvist, Noel & a 3rd.

Engelwood

Jul 1, 2018
Lehkonen - bottom 6 guy on many teams, plays solid D, fast and a pest to play against, good on the PK
Paquette - 4th liner that has winning experience just over vet min,
Chiarot - People saw what he did during the playoffs last year, was horrible to play against when it counts, great PK and playoff style hockey, even has picked up a few points this year
Perreault - Plays up and down the lineup, scores goals, solid player, low contract - teams will grab for depth
Byron - If he comes back and is healthy, a cup team will take him as he is pesky, kills penalties, fast skater. We may have to eat a bit of contract but get a higher return
Wideman/Niku - If one of them look decent PMD's always get value

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Yeah I don't get the obsession with trading our newly signed UFA.

Montreal already isn't a favorite destination amongst NHLers, way to kill your chance of ever attracting quality UFAs in the long run if we plan to rebuild the proper way and hit a window for the cup eventually ( who the f am I kidding, it's obviously won't happen but still).

Team balance. It was a bad idea to sign Hoffman, not because he is a bad player or a bad person or anything, just because he, Caufield, and Toffoli all have similar skill sets that only work if they are the only one on their line with that skillset, and they all have to play on one of the top two lines to be useful. We have one too many small sniper who likes to get lost in traffic.

Similarly Savard, though he's been a lot better lately, is yet another big D who doesn't want to carry the puck. MB signed guys they don't need and let guys they do need go. What do they need?

A true number one D. This isn't MB's fault, Weber is done, Petry is not playing well and may also be done. Getting a number one D is hard.

A second line center. MB lost two centers in the offseason.

A shutdown center. See last point, also looks like Bergevin underrated Danault, and I really wonder how much of it was ego. MB really doesn't like seeing his players have fun talking to the press. Poehling is great, but he doesn't seem like he'll shut down NHL first lines, at least not yet, Evans isn't doing it, maybe give Vejdemo a shot? He probably won't succeed but at least he's got the profile.

The habs really need to balance. What they needed was some planning years back to try to get a number one D who would be ready now. To trade one of their snipers for a player with a different skill set. To trade one of their big, physical, D for another D of similar level but different skills.

Or maybe MB is tanking masterfully.... Keeping the team unbalanced for 2 or 3 years and then making a couple of fairly even trades when the picks start being ready could set the team up for long term success. Price might lose the draft picks, I suppose...

Pavel_Bure

Oct 6, 2006
If you’re 25 and under (and not named Sami Niku) you should not be traded at the deadline

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad