Poll: Vote for your top 3 guys you feel can be moved for value at the next Trade deadline

3 guys you feel are not part of the 3+ year core while we rebuild and can be traded at the deadline?

• Total voters

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Kulak is not the type of D that team want to add before playoff though. He doesn't have a specific role on a team (PP/PK), he's not physical and he don't play big minutes. I think we can have a 4-5th round pick but I would be EXTREMELY surprise if we got a 2nd for him.
Someone will take Kulak easily at the deadline with 50percent retention. Teams need playoff depth for 900k for a 3 or 4th pick that's nothing. You see players like Kulak traded every single years at the tel for mid late picks

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Higher or lower value than Beaulieu? We got a 3rd for Beaulieu. Hard to say with Kulak and I would get 3rd - 5th range. Value and what is given year to year at deadlines are guesses.
Beaulieu was still young when that happen though, probably in the same range of Rielly/Morrow

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
Kulak is not the type of D that team want to add before playoff though. He doesn't have a specific role on a team (PP/PK), he's not physical and he don't play big minutes. I think we can have a 4-5th round pick but I would be EXTREMELY surprise if we got a 2nd for him.
I'm one of the biggest Kulak defender here, and I would also be surprised if he got more than a 4th. He's good in his role as a 3rd pairing guy, but it's true that not being a guy you can put on the PP (and ideally not on a PK) can hurt his value in the eyes of GMs. His "specific role" is being a defensive-minded transition d-man, so I could see teams that lack mobility on the back end being interested, or just teams that want a cheap insurance policy in case of injuries.

Reactions: Vachon23

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Began by Hoffman, Toffoli and Drouin, forgot Chiarot on the way and thought that most of them could be traded. I don't want them ALL traded, of course, but honestly most of them could.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I'm one of the biggest Kulak defender here, and I would also be surprised if he got more than a 4th. He's good in his role as a 3rd pairing guy, but it's true that not being a guy you can put on the PP (and ideally not on a PK) can hurt his value in the eyes of GMs. His "specific role" is being a defensive-minded transition d-man, so I could see teams that lack mobility on the back end being interested, or just teams that want a cheap insurance policy in case of injuries.
Maybe a 3rd

Reactions: Habs Halifax

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Picked Chiarot, Byron and Armia, but to be honest.... I dont see any of them being the key to a rebuild.

There are some that are more difficult to let go, simply because finding a replacement may be harder. Gally, Anderson, Petry are among these. And here I'm not speaking of contract situation but role in the roster.
Addition by subtraction…..you increase your chances of a high pick by dealing the aforementioned plus you’re getting picks and prospects for these players……we need to do this now.

Also…..sit Price for the entire season, let him get his head right and kick old habits

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Addition by subtraction…..you increase your chances of a high pick by dealing the aforementioned plus you’re getting picks and prospects for these players……we need to do this now.

Also…..sit Price for the entire season, let him get his head right and kick old habits

One area we were just talking about with Price at our work office is does he want to play in the Olympics? I would assume so and in that case, I think he personally gets himself setup to play games prior so he is ready. Habs won't be able to stop him unless he has medical issues with his knee.

Reactions: jaffy27

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Beaulieu was still young when that happen though, probably in the same range of Rielly/Morrow

Very fair so that's why I said 3rd-5th range. Just depends on the deadline and supply/demand. Kulak would be basically for a bottom pairing role or depth so yeah... it might be a 4th or 5th.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Higher or lower value than Beaulieu? We got a 3rd for Beaulieu. Hard to say with Kulak and I would get 3rd - 5th range. Value and what is given year to year at deadlines are guesses.

Lower. Beaulieu was coming off a good season where he had to replace an injured Markov and did well doing so. There was hope it was his breakout season since he was only 23.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Lower. Beaulieu was coming off a good season where he had to replace an injured Markov and did well doing so. There was hope it was his breakout season since he was only 23.

The reasons with Beaulieu are fair but it's not absolute in value cause it fluctuate and it's worse at the deadline. I would say 3rd - 5th range but probably 4th or 5th. A lot would matter on how he is trending right before the deadline too.

However, at the end of the day, anybody trading for Kulak is for a bottom pairing role or depth role. So a 3rd is very questionable

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
The reasons with Beaulieu are fair but it's not absolute in value cause it fluctuate and it's worse at the deadline. I would say 3rd - 5th range but probably 4th or 5th. A lot would matter on how he is trending right before the deadline too.

However, at the end of the day, anybody trading for Kulak is for a bottom pairing role or depth role. So a 3rd is very questionable

3rd is possible if it's a team almost sure to draft bottom 4. 2nd highly unlikely. 3rd from a team no sure to go far unlikely too.

angusyoung

Bersantai
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
WEMER.gif

Reactions: jaffy27

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
One area we were just talking about with Price at our work office is does he want to play in the Olympics? I would assume so and in that case, I think he personally gets himself setup to play games prior so he is ready. Habs won't be able to stop him unless he has medical issues with his knee.
Good point!!

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
You're not gonna trade everyone.
Petry, how good will he be 3 years from now if we aren't getting a top D over that span?

Everyone is fair game. Before moving people and rebuilding, a plan needs to be set in motion.
Then it can’t be MB in charge. He has been without a plan for a decade.

Reactions: amethyst

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
While Hoffman and Toffoli would net us value, it isn't the best move professionally as these were UFAs who signed on for relatively friendly contracts. Montreal isn't the most popular UFA destination, and jettisoning UFAs after they sign will raise red flags for the future. Of course, this is all moot if they request a trade or if we do trade them, we move them somewhere THEY want to go.

Chiarot is a no brainer, though if there was a way to keep him over Savard...

Anyways, Chiarot can probably get us something decent. I'd also look into moving Lehkonen also as he's a RFA and should net us a decent return.

Drouin and Byron won't be moved until this offseason at the earliest.

The issue is, unless we can find ways to move Gallagher and other large contracts, we can't rebuild. We're older than people seem to realize and it's not easy moving these.
I don’t think players really look at this that much tbh. Build a winner and they will come. You shouldn’t be trying to build your team through UFA’s anyway. They are either stopgaps or players that put you over the top. We need to build from within and for someone who has been building through the draft for 2/3 of his tenure, MB has surely sucked at it. I think we are the worst draft/development team over the past decade and it’s hard to find another team close.

webersshot

Jul 6, 2016
Nova Scotia
None of them. I like this team were just weak on D in the absence of Weber, Eddy, and no price. Keep everyone. Draft high, find a top D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad