Prospect Info: Poll: Stützle Vs Byfield

Who the Sens should draft

• Total voters

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Picking 3rd OA removes all the pressure since we won't be able to second guess the choice made. It won't be possible to say "they should have taken this guy instead" because the Sens list won't ever be revealed, we won't know who they had at #2 and #3

But I don't think there's a wrong choice anyway between Stutzle and Byfield, both should become elite players if they remain healthy.

No pressure, just take "the other guy"... they are extremely close anyway in that 2nd tier.

What's funny is that the same "problem" might happen again in the next tier when choosing between Drysdale and Raymond, we could end up getting the "other guy" (Detroit or Ottawa could have other plans than these 2 though)

Really, this year drafting #3 and #5 is not much different than drafting #2 and #4 except that you don't have the pressure to choose. The downside is that you don't have the power to choose if you're clearly decided between 2 guys.

EDIT : everybody is entitled to their opinions but Senator is the most perplexing poster I have ever seen on this board. I often end up scratching my head reading his posts and at this point, I'm way too curious to not read them.

Last edited:

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Really pleased that either of them will be an Ottawa Senator. I like Stutzle, but I love Byfield and I think it’s a bit absurd the idea is out there that the Kings could pass on him. Could be smoke and mirrors to get some drama going heading into the draft.

Here’s to hoping it’s Byfield in a Sens jersey.

Dont get me wrong, I also believe that the idea that LA could pass on Byfield is pretty absurd just because I know how damn good he actually is - but there is more than enough info out there to suggest that its possible it happens....

Byfield is ranked #3 by several professional scouting outlets now. The majority of them if Im not mistaken. LA is picking at #2, so theres that...

And there are more than enough tangible sources out there now that can confirm for you that LA actually does have a huge German connection starting with their ownership group and its connections to the DEL, right down to Marco Sturm (German LA assistant coach and their assumed future head coach) - who has already talked about how special he thinks Tim Stutzle is going to be.

Last edited:

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
Really pleased that either of them will be an Ottawa Senator. I like Stutzle, but I love Byfield and I think it’s a bit absurd the idea is out there that the Kings could pass on him. Could be smoke and mirrors to get some drama going heading into the draft.

Here’s to hoping it’s Byfield in a Sens jersey.

I don't think so. If the Kings board has Stutzle and Byfield dead even for BPA, Stutzle being able to play the left side will probably be the difference maker.

Villardi and Turcotte down the middle with Kopitar locked in for another 4 years is a really strong centre core. Picking Stutzle gives them the flexibility if one of their C prospects doesn't pan out or fills a need where they have little depth at LW.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I don't think so. If the Kings board has Stutzle and Byfield dead even for BPA, Stutzle being able to play the left side will probably be the difference maker.

Gallardi and Turcotte down the middle with Kopitar locked in for another 4 years is a really strong centre core. Picking Stutzle gives them the flexibility if one of their C prospects doesn't pan out or fills a need where they have little depth at LW.
It will be a factor in their thought process.

OperationHotMother

Dec 22, 2006
So I was cross-referencing Bob Mckenzie's historical rankings vs the actual draft, and saw something interesting: Bob is almost always right about picks 1 and 2. The last time someone went outside of his projections was 2013 where Jones and Barkov swapped places. BUT the counterpoint to that is that Bob's projected player almost never goes third. Heiskanen is the only player that Bob projected third who ended up actually being drafted 3rd overall in the last 6 years (funny enough Drouin went third in 2013 despite Jones falling past him).

And you might be thinking that this year is different because Byfield/Stuetzle are so head-and-shoulders above the next tier. But wasn't that the case in 2019 with Byram? 2016 with Puljujarvi? In 2018 it was Brady and Zadina who made up the next tier after Svechnikov, but Jesperi Kotkaniemi jumped them both.

I guess what I'm saying is: prepare to be surprised and angry in mid October.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
So I was cross-referencing Bob Mckenzie's historical rankings vs the actual draft, and saw something interesting: Bob is almost always right about picks 1 and 2. The last time someone went outside of his projections was 2013 where Jones and Barkov swapped places. BUT the counterpoint to that is that Bob's projected player almost never goes third. Heiskanen is the only player that Bob projected third who ended up actually being drafted 3rd overall in the last 6 years (funny enough Drouin went third in 2013 despite Jones falling past him).

And you might be thinking that this year is different because Byfield/Stuetzle are so head-and-shoulders above the next tier. But wasn't that the case in 2019 with Byram? 2016 with Puljujarvi? In 2018 it was Brady and Zadina who made up the next tier after Svechnikov, but Jesperi Kotkaniemi jumped them both.

The only way i see that possibility is Drysdale

If it isn't one of the two centers it makes no sense to pick a winger.

You take the leftover centre. If Detroit takes Drysdale, you get your winger of choice. If Detroit takes a winger, you get the top ranked D in the draft.

The only way i see it is the risk of losing Drysdale

Reactions: bert and DJB

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Could be another Jones / Barkov as well.
I absolutely do not see Byfield slipping past 3 unless something really bad happens between now and then , which I would bet the farm against.
I think Dorion said it was #1, (2 and 3) (4- something I forget what exactly, maybe 12) ..
Stutzle... ranked #2 so you are saying according to history of Bob's rankings he is gone.. but 5 scouts had Stutzle 2 and 5 had Byfield at 2.. Byfield has 2 scouts rank him lower so Stutzle took the ranking. If Stutzle slips past #2 I am confident the Sens take him.

Now on being angry in October .. there is a chance but I don't think that will happen on who we take 3rd. The only way I think it deviates from Stutzle/Byfield at 3 is if the Sens want both Drysdale and Sanderson which would be questionable, but I don't see that happening.

Last edited:

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017

What would we be angry about?

xVolchenkov

Jun 21, 2011
Ottawa

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I see the the similarities but if you to think hes going to be Malkin with better D, don't you think he'd go number 1?

If there wasn't an Alexis Lafreniere going number #1 and/or if Byfield was older by 7-10 months maybe, but its prospect talk and most prospects player comparisons are their best case scenarios. Byfield has the potential to be a beast in this league and be the best player in this draft even tho AL is the safer pick to be the better player

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I see the the similarities but if you to think hes going to be Malkin with better D, don't you think he'd go number 1?

Well it could be for the exact same reasons that Malkin didnt go #1OV in 2004 (being late born in a draft that had a potential generational winger at the very top of it). Malkin and Byfield were bigger mystery boxes than Ovechkin and Laffreniere, who were both basically the oldest players in their draft and had a full extra year of development under their belts.

And much like Laffreniere was, Ovechkin was touted to go #1OV since well before his draft year. And then they both carried that massive hype and the momentum all the way through to the draft and never slowed down at all (it could be argued that Ovys hype train still hasnt stopped yet lol).

Last edited:
Reactions: bert

xVolchenkov

Jun 21, 2011
Ottawa
If there wasn't an Alexis Lafreniere going number #1 and/or if Byfield was older by 7-10 months maybe, but its prospect talk and most prospects player comparisons are their best case scenarios. Byfield has the potential to be a beast in this league and be the best player in this draft even tho AL is the safer pick to be the better player
Fair enough. Not trying to devalue your opinion. As someone who has only seen most of these guys through YT clips myself, I appreciate the feedback.

Well it could be for the exact same reasons that Malkin didnt go #1OV in 2004 (being late born in a draft that had a potential generational winger at the very top of it).

Much like Laffreniere, Ovechkin was touted to go #1OV since well before his draft year. And he carried that massive hype and the momentum all the way through to the draft (it could be argued that it still never stopped lol), sort of like Laffreniere did.
I can see that, but I don't think Laf is being touted as a generational player though (or undoubtedly going to be the best player of this draft) so I don't think him being bumped from #1 was out of the question. With the way that people value centers over wingers, I would think that with Byfields tools and potential upside would at least have made an argument for him to go first in some peoples minds (which I haven't really seen).

The way Bert talks so passionately about Byfield I'd be pretty happy with him at #3. Really feel like this is a can't lose situation. Thank god we got #3 over 4/5 or 5/6.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Villardi and Turcotte down the middle with Kopitar locked in for another 4 years is a really strong centre core. Picking Stutzle gives them the flexibility if one of their C prospects doesn't pan out or fills a need where they have little depth at LW.

Many players who played center in junior have played winger in the NHL. So it comes down to who their GM and scouts prefer.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Just checked the LAK. Forum and the votes for their #2 draft pick are:
Byfield 50
Stutzle 10
Trade Him 3

Quite a significant preference for a Byfield.

I was surprised that 3 voted to trade the pick.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Just checked the LAK. Forum and the votes for their #2 draft pick are:
Byfield 50
Stutzle 10
Trade Him 3

Quite a significant preference for a Byfield.

I was surprised that 3 voted to trade the pick.

They all wanted Drysdale before the lottery. Some still do

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Wouldn't be the first time a team goes against what some in their fan base (HF) wants, almost every draft a home team picks a player & gets booed for it. I always find that funny until Ottawa does it & I find myself screaming at the TV & my wife taking the baseball bat out of my hands.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Wouldn't be the first time a team goes against what some in their fan base (HF) wants, almost every draft a home team picks a player & gets booed for it. I always find that funny until Ottawa does it & I find myself screaming at the TV & my wife taking the baseball bat out of my hands.

Loooooooool, I would pay serious money to see you GoPro your reaction to us drafting Rossi.

Reactions: DrunkUncleDenis

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad