Prospect Info: Poll: Stützle Vs Byfield

Who the Sens should draft

• Total voters

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
Lol hes played more in the AHL than in the NHL. Look's like we got lucky with our german strudel.
Still think Byfield is an elite prospect. He's not really off course from his expected development path. But Stutzle is the clear choice the way he's looked, it's a sure thing vs the mystery box now. And I can vote now and make myself look smart all along.

Lafreniere is the big surprise. I know his deployment isn't ideal. But I figured worst case he'd be a 60-65 point winger by now. And that was before these past 2 higher scoring seasons.

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
Byfield will be fine. He is just taking a longer slower path to the NHL. I've watched Kings games with him in the lineup and he looks smooth and smart. He'll get there. I originally wanted Byfield and I'm glad I was wrong. I also wanted Rossi. He hasn't been near what I though but he'll eventually get there too. Point per game in the AHL. Too much talent for him not to make it.

Reactions: bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Byfield will be fine. He is just taking a longer slower path to the NHL. I've watched Kings games with him in the lineup and he looks smooth and smart. He'll get there. I originally wanted Byfield and I'm glad I was wrong. I also wanted Rossi. He hasn't been near what I though but he'll eventually get there too. Point per game in the AHL. Too much talent for him not to make it.
I agree about Byfield, his raw tools are incredibly unique. The power and speed is still coming and visually improving from the eye test. Being a late August birthday with the weird covid years right in the middle of this development for a guy that was always going to take longer under normal circumstances probably has delayed things a bit. He's also been hurt but he is a bit of a unicorn. Similar in some ways to Tage Thompson. I think he does get there just way later than most top prospects.

I was honestly happy with either him or Stutzle and feel lucky the sens got the german but I wouldnt rule out Byfield having a similar impact at some point.

As for Rossi, I am unfortunately not suprised. He is kind of the opposite of Byfield, his physical limitations really limit his upside. His skating just has never been that great from an explosive and top speed stand point. When you are that small you have to be a very special talent to beat NHL d men. I hope he gets there but I am not sure he ever does. I watched alot of the 67's that year, Quinn was quite clearly the prospect with the higher upside. I think Quinn will look like a top 5 pick when its all said and done. Stutzle is the class of that group but wouldnt surprise me if Quinn ends up as the second best forward. I am very confident had Sanderson been picked at 4 the sens would have taken Quinn at 5.

Reactions: Berri UQAM

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Well, glad I got to vote in this poll that I never saw before. I didn't realize it, but Quinton Byfield isn't even currently playing in the NHL. Therefore, Stützle was the correct draft option. This is a little simplistic I realize. But Stützle is that it player for our team

Last edited:
Reactions: Norris4Norris

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Plus Ridley Greig at 28th overall may be in the top 5 when it is all said and done. What a 1st round we had in 2020.
There is next to no chance this happens. That draft is incredibly deep, in a redraft when this is all said and done he probalby gets picked again where the sens picked. Still cant believe the sens passed on Peterka twice. Was in disbelief. How a team scouted Stutzle that much would pass on him was shocking.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
There is next to no chance this happens. That draft is incredibly deep, in a redraft when this is all said and done he probalby gets picked again where the sens picked. Still cant believe the sens passed on Peterka twice. Was in disbelief. How a team scouted Stutzle that much would pass on him was shocking.

While I was (and still am) OK with who we picked this struck me as strange. It's almost like they over thought it, instead of making the obvious pick.

I still have high hopes for Greig and Jarventie though.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
While I was (and still am) OK with who we picked this struck me as strange. It's almost like they over thought it, instead of making the obvious pick.

Yeah? I dunno I think they really screwed up that draft after the first two picks. Dont really like any of them from there on out. Stutzle was a no brainer, glad they went with Sanderson though. I was ok with about 7 different guys at that point, sure looks like they picked right so they deserve credit for that one. I saw lots of Quinn so I was ok with him, didnt want anything to do with Rossi.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Yeah? I dunno I think they really screwed up that draft after the first two picks. Dont really like any of them from there on out. Stutzle was a no brainer, glad they went with Sanderson though. I was ok with about 7 different guys at that point, sure looks like they picked right so they deserve credit for that one. I saw lots of Quinn so I was ok with him, didnt want anything to do with Rossi.

I'm not saying they picked exactly who I would have liked. lol. I would have probably gone Khusnutdinov (I'm a fan) with one of them and Peterka, Jarventie or Grans (I loved his size and skating at RD) with the other. I obviously didn't mind Jarventie and didn't know Greig all that well. I'm OK with both of them now; I think they've showed some promise.

I really didn't like the way the rest of that draft played out.

Norris4Norris

Jul 13, 2022
That must have been a deep draft then, yeesh. I am glad we hit on our three picks.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Sens scouting staff loves to overthink their picks. They are overconfident in their ability to identify undervalued talent.

Sometimes it works out (Pinto, Ostapchuk) but more often it doesn't (Boucher, Thomson, JBD, Jarventie, Roger).

Obviously still early for a lot of these guys, but the obvious pick would have paid off much better in almost every case.

I'm perfectly fine with them going off the board for guys they think have potential in 3rd-7th rounds when you're almost certainly drafting longshots, but it's obvious they should have more humility and tend closer to the consensus in the 1st/2nd.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Kinda weird to bump a two year old poll, isn't it?
Did you not find it interesting to see how some people thought one player, or the other would have been the better selection…. And now 2 years later to compare with how these two players have progressed?

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
This is the year that Byfield should have taken a huge step forward. He's 20 now, an age when most top offensive producers in the NHL start to assert themselves. Instead of being in LA's top six, though, he's in the AHL. People are looking hard for "flashes" from him, some signs that he might become that dominant player, but they just aren't appearing. To me he has bust written all over him, and I am so grateful that LA took him. Had we been second overall, we may well have done the same...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad