Prospect Info: Poll: Stützle Vs Byfield

Who the Sens should draft

• Total voters

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
It would be very interesting indeed if LAK took Drysdale at #2 forcing the Senators to choose between Byfield and Stutzle, and then Detroit taking Perfetti, Rossi, Raymond or Sanderson, leaving one of Byfield and Stutzle for the Senators. Probably not going to happen.

I think it will be hard for LA to pass on Drysdale. He can easily be justified as BPA and LA has witnessed the value of Doughty. Doughty would also be a perfect mentor for Drysdale.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think it will be hard for LA to pass on Drysdale. He can easily be justified as BPA and LA has witnessed the value of Doughty. Doughty would also be a perfect mentor for Drysdale.
This was my thought process as well when LA was behind us in the draft until the lottery. But now with the 2nd OA pick they have some much needed analyses to do regarding what is the best thing for their team at this time during their own rebuild.

Let's not forget that Kopitar has been great for them as well & while Byfield might not be as good as Kopitar (I think he will), Drysdale might not ever be as great as Doughty either, but the potential is there. And then there is Stutzle who many think LA could take, it's going to be a tough choice but the good news is that all three could turn into NHL superstars.

Reactions: Sweatred

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
This was my thought process as well when LA was behind us in the draft until the lottery. But now with the 2nd OA pick they have some much needed analyses to do regarding what is the best thing for their team at this time during their own rebuild.

Let's not forget that Kopitar has been great for them as well & while Byfield might not be as good as Kopitar (I think he will), Drysdale might not ever be as great as Doughty either, but the potential is there. And then there is Stutzle who many think LA could take, it's going to be a tough choice but the good news is that all three could turn into NHL superstars.

Honestly, I see a higher probability of Byfield becoming the next Kopitar than Drysdale becoming the next Doughty. To be honest, I think Sanderson is more likely to replicate Doughty than Drysdale is. I just don't think Drysdale has the frame to play the hard nosed defense Doughty does. Drysdale has higher offensive upside, so he's more likely to replicate Doughty's offensive impact, but Doughty is more focused on the other side of the ice where Sanderson excels, and I think Sanderson's offense style would fit into LA's system really well. That's not to say LA will pick Sanderson (they won't and shouldn't at 2nd OA) but rather just to say he'd be a real gem in their system if they want a Doughty type.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Wouldn't be the first time a team goes against what some in their fan base (HF) wants, almost every draft a home team picks a player & gets booed for it. I always find that funny until Ottawa does it & I find myself screaming at the TV & my wife taking the baseball bat out of my hands.

Brave lady ! :)

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Totally unrelated to this topic but I just heard about Eddie Shack entering palliative care . . .
upload_2020-7-7_10-9-19.jpeg

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Honestly, I see a higher probability of Byfield becoming the next Kopitar than Drysdale becoming the next Doughty. To be honest, I think Sanderson is more likely to replicate Doughty than Drysdale is. I just don't think Drysdale has the frame to play the hard nosed defense Doughty does. Drysdale has higher offensive upside, so he's more likely to replicate Doughty's offensive impact, but Doughty is more focused on the other side of the ice where Sanderson excels, and I think Sanderson's offense style would fit into LA's system really well. That's not to say LA will pick Sanderson (they won't and shouldn't at 2nd OA) but rather just to say he'd be a real gem in their system if they want a Doughty type.
If either Drysdale or Sanderson were thought to be the next Doughty they would be fighting Laf for the #1 draft position and no lower than 2.

Reactions: Cosmix

otown

Sep 4, 2009
Eddie was truly an entertainer and a character in the game. Off hand I can't think of anyone like him in today's game. Clear the track!

Reactions: Ed Wood

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I was lucky enough to spend a night drinking with Eddie Shack. He was a very funny, genuine guy with absolutely no filter.

I've also been lucky enough to know a few x- NHLers who liked to drink & tell war stories. Those were always fun nights full of laughs.

Eddie was truly an entertainer and a character in the game. Off hand I can't think of anyone like him in today's game. Clear the track!

Brady Tkachuk is pretty entertaining to watch but there was only one Eddie Shack coming down the track.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Brave lady ! :)
She's also a great golfer & after seeing what Tiger Wood's ex-wife did to his car with a 5 iron, I sleep with one eye open. She's five foot nothing & I'm scared to death of her. hahaha

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Saw him live a couple times as a kid. He could really skate.
A few stories in here Toronto Maple Leafs Legends: Eddie The Entertainer
My favorite
One night Toronto was getting trounced 10-0 late in the third and Eddie had never left the bench. The fans, to fight boredom started the chant, "We want Shack !" Coach Punch Imlach finally relented and told Eddie, "Get on the damn ice." Eddie leaped over the boards, raced around the ice to warm up and he had the fans in hysterics. They lined up for the face-off then Eddie called time and hustled over to the bench. "Coach I forgot to ask, did you want me to go for a win or a tie?"

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I was lucky enough to spend a night drinking with Eddie Shack. He was a very funny, genuine guy with absolutely no filter.
Actually I had the same luck...and yes, no filter. A voice and laugh that can fill a bar for sure

Reactions: Ed Wood

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
To pick up on a discussion from the #5 pick thread... If the Kings take Byfield, I definitely hope the Sens take Stutzle. I wonder if the threat of him playing pro in Europe scares the Senators at all. I didn't listen to the 1200 interview of Stutzle. Did he show any inclination for that? Or is he gung-ho to play in the NHL next year?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
To pick up on a discussion from the #5 pick thread... If the Kings take Byfield, I definitely hope the Sens take Stutzle. I wonder if the threat of him playing pro in Europe scares the Senators at all. I didn't listen to the 1200 interview of Stutzle. Did he show any inclination for that? Or is he gung-ho to play in the NHL next year?
He was very clear that his contract has an out clause should he sign with an NHL team.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
1) We don’t get to decide, which is okay, because these guys are both going to be elite centers

2) Byfield is not a Logan Brown clone just because he’s tall. Look what Byfield did in his 17 year old season - 1.82 points per game. He dominated the OHL in his draft year while being relatively young.

If I got the choice, I’d go with Byfield. But I’ll gladly take either.
I wouldn’t say he dominated the OHL. A bunch of players had better OHL seasons such as Rossi, Robertson and Perfetti.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I wouldn’t say he dominated the OHL. A bunch of players had better OHL seasons such as Rossi, Robertson and Perfetti.
He was up there with those guys. He certainly had some dominant shifts
P1/e60 in the CHL
etoi/gpp1/e60
Quinton Byfield20.264.476
Seth Jarvis17.384.4036
Marco Rossi22.544.1828
Cole Perfetti20.324.1142
Alexis Lafreniere25.064.0059
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
For what it's worth. Here is Craig Button on some of the draft picks coming this year including Byfield.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
He was up there with those guys. He certainly had some dominant shifts
P1/e60 in the CHL
etoi/gpp1/e60
Quinton Byfield20.264.476
Seth Jarvis17.384.4036
Marco Rossi22.544.1828
Cole Perfetti20.324.1142
Alexis Lafreniere25.064.0059
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Impressive performances by Byfield and Jarvis.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Eddie is somewhat remembered by many as a sort of class clown, a fringe player and glove dropper, and yeah that was certainly part of who he was. He was so much more though, he was a true glue guy on those 60's cup teams, yeah he dropped the mitts when needed but he could score and broke 20 goals 5 times in his long career, he scored the winner in the 63 finals. He was one of the best skaters the Leafs had in those days and maybe ranked top 20 on the blades in the entire league. The guy came to play every night even the nights Imlach would bench him for clowning either on the bench or in the room before games or in between periods. If he was benched Eddie would come out early onto the freshly Zambonied ice and do a figure skating routine, this got him the moniker "The Entertainer," Imlach would be blowing a gasket at that stuff, the Gardens crowd would eventually start the "we want Shack" chant and wouldn't let up until Imlach relented and put Eddie in. The end result was almost always a goal and a Leafs team that suddenly came alive.

George Armstrong told a story of how it used to drive Imlach nut's that Eddie was a bit of a free wheeler when playing his regular shifts, coming off his wing to chase a puck carrier or crossing over to the opposite wing or centre postion on breakouts. So Imlach had a red line painted 12 feet off the boards for practice and told Eddie that he had to no matter the circumstances stay within that line. Eddie complied and did his best to give Punch what he wanted. After a week or so the coach finally put Eddie back in the starting line-up on his regular line with Army and Ron Stewart. On his first shift Eddie crossed the ice in the attacking zone to make a hit. Imlach was incensed and benched him for the rest of the period. During the intermission, Imlach still fuming tore a strip off of Eddie and demanded to know why he came off his wing, Eddie with a perfectly straight face looked up at Imlach and said "gee coach I didn't see any lines out there!" of course it cracked up the dressing room and kept the team loose.

Eddie couldn't sign his first pro contract nor his 2nd or 3rd, but eventually learned to both read and write and eventually became a staunch advocate for childhood literacy here in Canada.

I was lucky enough to meet him a few times and even have a pop or two with him, he was a really good guy and a lot of fun.

Back on Topic

Stutzle, you'd then have your own Mitch Marner but with elite speed​

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad