Speculation: Poll: Sneak into playoffs or 'tank' as much as possible

Playoffs or Tank

• Playoffs

• Tank

Results are only viewable after voting.

Rangers ftw

May 8, 2007
The player we pick will be a bust? Who are we taking? When are we picking? Oh and do you have the lotto numbers for this week too?
The post I quoted assumed that we will be eliminated in 4. That is not why you want to sneak into the playoff. Same as you don’t tank to get a player that will be a bust.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
My long-form thoughts on the matter:

A little piece of me dies every time someone refers to the playoffs dismissively, as if nothing could matter less. I haven't come close to forgetting what it was like to be a 17 year old who lived and breathed everything Rangers who hadn't seen the Rangers in the playoffs since he was 10 and counted down a magic number on his wall every March and April that never got to zero.

Besides respecting the memories of a hurt little boy, making the playoffs, and even playing meaningful games down the stretch gives some benefit to a team with young players who haven't experienced much of that at the NHL level. It can be debated how much of the young talent on and going to be on the roster, outside of Buchnevich, Andersson, Chytil, could realistically be a part of a core that's making future playoff runs with the team, but it's still disingenuous to say there's no value there.

It's pretty clear to me, however, that the future value that can be gained from dropping in the standings trumps the benefit of experience and all that. The difference between gaining 3 spots in the standings and dropping 2 more than doubles the chance of getting Dahlin to 7.6 percent and a top 3 pick to 23.4 percent. If you can easily dismiss that difference in the chances of getting top-end talent in the organization, you and I are not going to find a lot of common ground.

Lastly, any discussion of "honor" or what makes you a "true fan" arising because someone else has different opinions than you on the best course going forward should make you re-evaluate your life.

I didn’t find this funny.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
The Pens also had five straight years of lottery picks. The Hawks had quite of few also.

And if you were around in the lat 90s and early 2000s you would never have said that they had strong management.

And not only did they get lottery picks, they were gifted Crosby after the lockout season.

Reactions: KOVALEV022473

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
Because the cap is supposed to make it there really aren't big and small markets. The Flames are closer to the cap than the Rangers are. Does that make Calgary a big market and New York a small market?
There are exceptions to every rule but generally larger market teams have a larger revenue stream to draw from. This allows them to spend more. Ownership is also a factor. Do they put a higher value on profit vs. winning.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Sucks because realistically looking at Edmonton and Montreal I don't see them passing us.
I'm giving us 9-10 points the rest of the way. I don't see montreal getting 15 plus and edmonton even more than that. Hopefully Chicago and Detroit will play well enough but even thats not a given. So realistically if we don't get top 3 pick best we will be picking is 7th probably 8th.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
And if you were around in the lat 90s and early 2000s you would never have said that they had strong management.

And not only did they get lottery picks, they were gifted Crosby after the lockout season.

Crosby was basically payback to Lemieux for keeping the Pens afloat. People can deny it all they want. Nothing will change my mind about that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad