Speculation: Poll: Sneak into playoffs or 'tank' as much as possible

Playoffs or Tank

• Playoffs

• Tank

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
We’re also not even really tanking. Buffalo stripped their entire organization bare to have a ton of picks, and Edmonton had no veterans in place and just handed 18 and 19 year olds the keys to the car. Our situations aren’t even remotely comparable since we already have good, young NHL pieces in place.

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
If I was running this team... All my top prospects would be in Hartford making a playoff push there...I'd have echlers and worthless guys like McLeod playing a ton.

I'm an unapologetic tanker...I'd have this team doing everything possible to finish with a top 4 pick.
This is the only year they get this high of a pick. Have to tank now.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Buffalo and Edmonton ae such wonderful examples of why tanking doesn't work. It's such a convincing argument using one franchise that thought Robin Lehner was worth a 1st round pick, while the other thought the same of Griffin Reinhart. One thought it was a good idea to trade for Evander Kane on a team without leadership, while the other thought Adam Larsson was fair value for Taylor Hall. Yeah, Buffalo and Edmonton, those are shining examples of tanking doesn't work. (Not the incompetent management running each franchise.)

It's not just those two teams and I used that argument for not trading away the likes of McDonagh, but now that that ship has sailed losing these games won't turn us into either franchise.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Imo there's not much that can be done to go either way. Can't tell the players to try to lose, and they wouldn't if you did.

I'd play George more than usual to see if we have a dependable back up in him or not, and potentially help even things out without Hank stealing as many games.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
My long-form thoughts on the matter:

A little piece of me dies every time someone refers to the playoffs dismissively, as if nothing could matter less. I haven't come close to forgetting what it was like to be a 17 year old who lived and breathed everything Rangers who hadn't seen the Rangers in the playoffs since he was 10 and counted down a magic number on his wall every March and April that never got to zero.

Besides respecting the memories of a hurt little boy, making the playoffs, and even playing meaningful games down the stretch gives some benefit to a team with young players who haven't experienced much of that at the NHL level. It can be debated how much of the young talent on and going to be on the roster, outside of Buchnevich, Andersson, Chytil, could realistically be a part of a core that's making future playoff runs with the team, but it's still disingenuous to say there's no value there.

It's pretty clear to me, however, that the future value that can be gained from dropping in the standings trumps the benefit of experience and all that. The difference between gaining 3 spots in the standings and dropping 2 more than doubles the chance of getting Dahlin to 7.6 percent and a top 3 pick to 23.4 percent. If you can easily dismiss that difference in the chances of getting top-end talent in the organization, you and I are not going to find a lot of common ground.

Lastly, any discussion of "honor" or what makes you a "true fan" arising because someone else has different opinions than you on the best course going forward should make you re-evaluate your life.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
I'm at the point in my life where I no longer care about playoffs. If we aren't winning a championship this year we should be trying to improve our team for next year. Thus, my preference would be for us to lose every game the rest of the way. Higher picks in every round and a better chance of winning the lottery is the best possible outcome at this point.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
I'll take the immediate probably shorter term pain thanks
I'm with you on this. I even changed my vote.

"Conventional wisdom" says you can't rebuild a team in New York city. So the Rangers always just signed a couple of big name players, plugged holes with plug players here and there and put patchwork type of teams together with no elite talent. We have had talented players but not the type to put us over the top long term.

Now we have a chance to have REAL talent on this team by drafting it young and developing it. We haven't seen this in a long time, if ever. I think Gorton will do a good job here with the scouts we have.

**FINGERS CROSSED**

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
This is the only year they get this high of a pick. Have to tank now.

I know that's the hope.

But I think next years team is going to be in the same predicament as now without the tank job.

In fact, we are probably going to be in worse shape next year than we are this year.

And I am fine with that as it continues to reset the Franchise.

I am under no illusion that we are a playoff team for at least 2 more years after this on at the earliest.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I'm very sceptical how much a team is helped by finishing badly for a season. Yeah, we might get a great player at pick 7 or 8, but then, we might at pick 16 or 17. The Pens and the Hawks (two of the teams used most to push for the tank) were atrocious for a good while, got superstars and other high picks to compliment them. Losing for years got them results. Losing for years is yet to get Edmonton or Buffalo results.
Other teams have maintained a place at the top of the standings for a long time (an obvious example having been Detroit). They found good players without tanking and continued to find success. Even teams who haven't been winning, like us or St Louis have had decent shots at it for many years.
It is my opinion that we could have steered ourselves through and maintained high standards for longer. It might turn out that a bad finish lands us the next Crosby. More likely, in 5 years we'll do a re-draft and find that some guys who went from 15 to 20 were better than guys who went 5-10. Barzal and Boeser for example went 16 and 23. They're the top two rookies this year in points and number 3 (Gourde) was undrafted. Keller 7th and De Brincat 39th rounds out the top 5 rookies this year.
I realise that losing gives us better chances, but people have to see that good drafting is what matters and oftentimes that doesn't require a low finish.
Whatever, we're so far down the road of being crap now that maybe tanking is best, but for a season? I think to become the Pens and Hawks we need to do our time at the bottom AND draft AND develop well.

I vote playoffs, but meh.

We will not pick at 16-17.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
My long-form thoughts on the matter:

A little piece of me dies every time someone refers to the playoffs dismissively, as if nothing could matter less. I haven't come close to forgetting what it was like to be a 17 year old who lived and breathed everything Rangers who hadn't seen the Rangers in the playoffs since he was 10 and counted down a magic number on his wall every March and April that never got to zero.

Besides respecting the memories of a hurt little boy, making the playoffs, and even playing meaningful games down the stretch gives some benefit to a team with young players who haven't experienced much of that at the NHL level. It can be debated how much of the young talent on and going to be on the roster, outside of Buchnevich, Andersson, Chytil, could realistically be a part of a core that's making future playoff runs with the team, but it's still disingenuous to say there's no value there.

It's pretty clear to me, however, that the future value that can be gained from dropping in the standings trumps the benefit of experience and all that. The difference between gaining 3 spots in the standings and dropping 2 more than doubles the chance of getting Dahlin to 7.6 percent and a top 3 pick to 23.4 percent. If you can easily dismiss that difference in the chances of getting top-end talent in the organization, you and I are not going to find a lot of common ground.

Lastly, any discussion of "honor" or what makes you a "true fan" arising because someone else has different opinions than you on the best course going forward should make you re-evaluate your life.

So if I read this right...

It's probably best to 'tank' or drop in the standings although a little taste of playoffs/meaningful games to get in wouldn't hurt either.

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
I know that's the hope.

But I think next years team is going to be in the same predicament as now without the tank job.

In fact, we are probably going to be in worse shape next year than we are this year.

And I am fine with that as it continues to reset the Franchise.

I am under no illusion that we are a playoff team for at least 2 more years after this on at the earliest.
Yeah I think there’s enough holes that they will delve into free agency to complete the roster.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Yeah I think there’s enough holes that they will delve into free agency to complete the roster.

I agree, but the players they are going to target will be of the variety that are cheap on dollars and easy to move.

What really good player is going to sign with a rebuilding team?

I'd expect players to sign 3 year deals for decent money that are easy to move should the need arise

Reactions: wafflepadsave

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
I think the value of losing exceeds the value of winning at this point, but if someone else finds winning more personally satisfying, knock yourself out.

Knock yourself out, even though the team will likely spend another decade mired in mediocrity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad