Speculation: Poll: Sneak into playoffs or 'tank' as much as possible

Playoffs or Tank

• Playoffs

• Tank

Results are only viewable after voting.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
If it's just those two choices I'd say tank. But there's the caveat--because I want to see the team compete. I don't want them dogging it.

I don't believe it's wise to be playing Henrik every night. I also don't think that if the Rangers miraculously were to make the playoffs they'd last more than 4 games and they'd get embarrassed as well. We don't have a for real NHL defense right now. Yeah, Pionk and Gilmour have looked good but they have almost no experience of big games at this level and Staal, Shattenkirk and Skjei are not going to be much help to them. To expect them to up their game to NHL playoff hockey is way too much. The burden's going to be absolutely and completely on Henrik if we make the playoffs and I'm sure we'll get murdered by the Lightning. I'd rather not watch that debacle.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
The poll options are not really symmetrical. The 'go for it' option has a (unlikely) result, where the tank option only gives the method, not the result. What's the tank result that's about as likely as the playoffs? Top 3 pick? Top pick?

Reactions: Siddi

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
The only 'tank' moves we can really do now are play Hank less and not bring back guys like Shattenkirk who have/are recovering from injury.
The players aren't going to take to the ice looking to lose.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
The poll options are not really symmetrical. The 'go for it' option has a (unlikely) result, where the tank option only gives the method, not the result. What's the tank result that's about as likely as the playoffs? Top 3 pick? Top pick?
Yeah was going to point this out.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
The only 'tank' moves we can really do now are play Hank less and not bring back guys like Shattenkirk who have/are recovering from injury.
The players aren't going to take to the ice looking to lose.

Deployment.

Starting guys like Sproul and ADA in the defensive zone much more. Asking them to PK. etc.

Reactions: mcdonagh4captain

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I like seeing the team win a heck of a lot more than I like seeing them lose.

But losing is a much better scenario for the future of the team than winning right now.

Sports fandom is really not as black and white as some might make it seem. Unless you're a super casual, I guess.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
inb4 "everyone who wants to tank is not a real Rangers/sports fan"
inb4 "everyone who wants to make the playoffs is delusional and doesn't really care about the team's future"

;)

In all honesty, I think we all know it would be best to lose out. Kind of hard to argue against that. Even if we somehow were able to sneak into the playoffs, we'd almost certainly get smashed in round one. We allow approximately 83 shots per game and our scoring is erratic. Rob O'Gara is on the team.

At the same time, playoff f***ing hockey. Count me in. :)

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Deployment.

Starting guys like Sproul and ADA in the defensive zone much more. Asking them to PK. etc.

We've got 4 rookies on defence. There's not much more they can do with deployment...
Yeah, technically we could roll the 4th line out for 22 mins a game, but that's just not going to happen (even in AV land). The team (and coaching staff) on the bench at game time will have a mindset of winning

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
We need another top 10 pick. Tank isn't the right word, but more like "miss the playoffs" would be ideal long term.

We don't need to be actively losing, with the current roster construction it isn't something they'll likely need to try and do. Play Georgiev after killing Hank for the first 60 games. Let them split time.

Anything close to a potential playoff spot, moving us away from the top 10 is not good. You can get good/elite players in the picks from 10-20, but being in the top 10 increases the likelyhood. I'd rather not have to trade up, losing valuable picks, to get into a spot we want.

End up with a top 10 pick, hopefully get a mid-20's pick and a from 27-31. Go from there. We're in a decent spot for that to happen, but we would need to fall in the standings some more.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
As much as it would be fun to troll the league by making the playoffs, it will be better for the organization to get a lottery pick.

If it wasn't for Florida, I'd say we actually have a good chance at making the playoffs, but I don't think we'll catch them the way they are playing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad