Playoffs or Tank

• Playoffs

• Tank

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Sucks because realistically looking at Edmonton and Montreal I don't see them passing us.
I'm giving us 9-10 points the rest of the way. I don't see montreal getting 15 plus and edmonton even more than that. Hopefully Chicago and Detroit will play well enough but even thats not a given. So realistically if we don't get top 3 pick best we will be picking is 7th probably 8th.

Price will be back. Montreal could pass the Rangers.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Price will be back. Montreal could pass the Rangers.
I watch a lot of Canadien games. As crazy as it sounds they are not much better with price than without him. In fact lately before his injury he looked disinterested and out of it some games.
Montreal would have probably have to go about .500 or better rest of the way to pass us

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Crosby was basically payback to Lemieux for keeping the Pens afloat. People can deny it all they want. Nothing will change my mind about that.
Lemieux got majority control of the Penguins for $32.5M in back salary and now they're worth over $650M. The team thanked him enough

dumpin

Jul 6, 2010
I don't think you tank, but instead play your young players to see what you have and give an indication of what you need. When the kids play well its great and when they lose we are closer to the top lottery pick. Glass half full.

Reactions: eco's bones

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
We should started this rebuild after the 2014 season - we have mostly sneaked in the recent years.

Reactions: Stasis and hi

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
In their last 10 games Edmonton is 5-5-0 10 points, Chicago is 5-5-0 10 points, Montreal is 3-3-4 10 points, Vancouver 3-4-3 9 points, Detroit 3-5-2 8 points. They've all gained on us in the last 10 games.

The Rangers are 3-6-1 7 points. We have Tampa and Florida next. I expect us to lose those. Then Carolina at home--that could go either way. Pittsburgh we'll lose to. St. Louis away--I think we'll probably lose that though they're not playing that well. Columbus could go either way but I'd give Columbus the edge. They're still fighting for something. Philadelphia away--lose. Buffalo home--probably win. Washington home and then away--two losses. Tampa Bay home--lose again. Carolina away--could go either way. New Jersey away--I'd give the edge to the Devils. Islanders away--the Barzal factor but maybe we win--they're worse than we are lately. Philadelphia away--lose.

All in all we'll get 7 to 10 points in the last 15 games. Of course Henrik could steal a game. Some of these still don't seem within reach--Tampa twice, Washington twice, Pittsburgh that's 5 games right there we have no business winning.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
In their last 10 games Edmonton is 5-5-0 10 points, Chicago is 5-5-0 10 points, Montreal is 3-3-4 10 points, Vancouver 3-4-3 9 points, Detroit 3-5-2 8 points. They've all gained on us in the last 10 games.

The Rangers are 3-6-1 7 points. We have Tampa and Florida next. I expect us to lose those. Then Carolina at home--that could go either way. Pittsburgh we'll lose to. St. Louis away--I think we'll probably lose that though they're not playing that well. Columbus could go either way but I'd give Columbus the edge. They're still fighting for something. Philadelphia away--lose. Buffalo home--probably win. Washington home and then away--two losses. Tampa Bay home--lose again. Carolina away--could go either way. New Jersey away--I'd give the edge to the Devils. Islanders away--the Barzal factor but maybe we win--they're worse than we are lately. Philadelphia away--lose.

All in all we'll get 7 to 10 points in the last 15 games. Of course Henrik could steal a game. Some of these still don't seem within reach--Tampa twice, Washington twice, Pittsburgh that's 5 games right there we have no business winning.

Buffalo has played much better than the Rangers as of late. The Isles’ Cup will be sweeping the Rangers this year. I don’t see many wins on that schedule.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
i want the highest possible pick
and i want introduction to NHL for prospects
i'd rather they sit Holland, DesHarnais, Carey, McCleod every game
and get ice time for Lettieri, Nieves, Tambellini, Chytil, Andersson.
I know there are limits on non-emergency callups,
so maybe Holland<>McCleod, Desharnais<>Carey can violently collide like the Jets in 1st period Tuesday
once more kids are here, i'd be glad to see a bunch of 3-4 losses

Reactions: kovazub94

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
Back to the thing about the Pens, they are a small market team who is able to spend like a big market team because of their sustained success over the last decade. They 100% need to keep it up because as soon as they have an extended rebuild, they're toast. There is no money in the Pittsburgh market for a bad team.

The only thing that saved them the last time around was being gifted Crosby and Malkin.

I don't think the NHL will let a franchise with 5 cups go belly up, so something will be done if it ever comes to it, but the decline of the Steel industry in the US (and manufacturing in general) has made Pittsburgh a less than sustainable market from a money perspective. (unless there is perpetual success)

There are other markets that have been hit hard by this, namely Detroit, but the population of the Detroit metro area is about double that of Pittsburgh, and the team has fans with much deeper roots than Pittsburgh, being an O6 team and all.

Admittedly in my life there has never been a perpetually bad Red Wings team, so we may learn more about this in the coming years.

Reactions: eco's bones

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
What are you talking about? We won the Presidents' trophy in 2015 and made it to game 7 of the ECF. And who starts a rebuild after going to the final?
I`m fine with that, but this rebuild should started earlier for sure - not after christmas this season based on our injury situation. It kind of started when they moved Stepan, but they were not open about it at all.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Back to the thing about the Pens, they are a small market team who is able to spend like a big market team because of their sustained success over the last decade. They 100% need to keep it up because as soon as they have an extended rebuild, they're toast. There is no money in the Pittsburgh market for a bad team.

The only thing that saved them the last time around was being gifted Crosby and Malkin.

I don't think the NHL will let a franchise with 5 cups go belly up, so something will be done if it ever comes to it, but the decline of the Steel industry in the US (and manufacturing in general) has made Pittsburgh a less than sustainable market from a money perspective. (unless there is perpetual success)

There are other markets that have been hit hard by this, namely Detroit, but the population of the Detroit metro area is about double that of Pittsburgh, and the team has fans with much deeper roots than Pittsburgh, being an O6 team and all.

Admittedly in my life there has never been a perpetually bad Red Wings team, so we may learn more about this in the coming years.

Some good points here.

The Red Wings pretty much sucked throughout the 70's. They had Marcel Dionne and an aging Alex Delvecchio. Gary Bergman was one of their better d-men. It's hard to think of very many names from that ---they were kind of forgettable. Nick Libbett. Dan Maloney--no relation to Dave/Don---he could really fight. They were almost always out of the playoffs. 1983 is I think when they drafted Steve Yzerman--after that things turned around for them. After that there's Lidstrom, Chelios, Fedorov, the bruise brothers Probert and Kocur (and don't underestimate the impact those two had). But back in the 70's and 80's Detroit still had a thriving auto industry. That's pretty much a shell of what it was.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
so how will another "dead wings" era fare with the auto industry being a shell of its former self? Will be interesting to find out.

I think you're right about there being more population.....and there's a lot of money out in the suburbs there too and a much longer hockey tradition throughout Michigan than Pennsylvania. Windsor Ontario is quite near Detroit as well and that's a pretty hockey mad city. IMO it will take a lot more to uproot the Red Wings than the Penguins.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
i want the highest possible pick
and i want introduction to NHL for prospects
i'd rather they sit Holland, DesHarnais, Carey, McCleod every game
and get ice time for Lettieri, Nieves, Tambellini, Chytil, Andersson.
I know there are limits on non-emergency callups,
so maybe Holland<>McCleod, Desharnais<>Carey can violently collide like the Jets in 1st period Tuesday
once more kids are here, i'd be glad to see a bunch of 3-4 losses

For some unknown reason "push for playoffs" became some bad meme around here. In reality what most of us are saying is that we expect to see players playing hard (though ultimately their effort will fall short). And why not? There's a bunch of kids that are fighting for a roster spot next year, then newcomers and "holdover" RFAs that are fighting for their next contract. How do you realistically expect these guys not to give a full effort "because it is for the greater long-term good of a team"? I agree with @cwede - McCleod, DD should not be in the lineup at the expense of Nieves or Lettieri.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I don't care how get into the top-3 or top-5... losing, winning lottery, trading up.

I just DO NOT WANT to go through this sheet year (possibly next as well) and have ZERO ELITE talent at the end of it.

That cannot happen.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I don't care how get into the top-3 or top-5... losing, winning lottery, trading up.

I just DO NOT WANT to go through this sheet year (possibly next as well) and have ZERO ELITE talent at the end of it.

That cannot happen.

Is this a generational thing?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad