Poll: Pens playoff predictions

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Not how it works. It will likely be Isles, Rags, or Caps. Metro division semis then metro finals, then conference finals, then cup finals. So we have to beat 2 of Isles, Caps, Rags...

Sucks because I'd put us up against any of the NE group. But we won't see them until ECF.

Isn't that only the case if the standings stay the same in terms of 1-2 and 7-8? IOW, if we finish 8 and the 1st seed is Montreal, we end up in the atlantic bracket, not the metro.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Not how it works. It will likely be Isles, Rags, or Caps. Metro division semis then metro finals, then conference finals, then cup finals. So we have to beat 2 of Isles, Caps, Rags...

Sucks because I'd put us up against any of the NE group. But we won't see them until ECF.

Aw crap. Thats right. I thought the 1st seed in the conference plays the lowest wildcard. 1st seed in the other division plays the 2nd lowest wildcard.

I gotta get more sleep. Again.

deathtouchtrample

May 5, 2014
Isn't that only the case if the standings stay the same in terms of 1-2 and 7-8? IOW, if we finish 8 and the 1st seed is Montreal, we end up in the atlantic bracket, not the metro.

Yep. Or if either of the new york teams get hot and end up catching mtl and we're #7. Seems more likely as we're 10 points up on the Bruins so it'd be hard to drop to 8. Honestly getting the wildcard and getting switched is probably the only realistic shot at the cup, certainly the best anyway. Thought it seems as if 871 are finding their games again and we'll probably finish solidly in the 2-3 matchup. In that case I'd go 2nd round exit but I don't think it's a shut case and I'm surprised to see 1st round exit winning over 2nd. Top 7 in the east is very close IMO. Should be a great spring.

I also just want to to see the wild cards get switched in general to see fan/league reaction cause not everyone realizes that can happen, and sort of throws the whole divisional thing outta whack.

Last edited:

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Yep. Or if either of the new york teams get hot and end up catching mtl and we're #7. Seems more likely as we're 10 points up on the Bruins so it'd be hard to drop to 8. Honestly getting the wildcard and getting switched is probably the only realistic shot at cup, certainly the best anyway. Thought it seems and if 871 are finding their games again and we'll probably finish solidly in the 2-3 matchup.

I also just want to to see the wild cards get switched in general to see fan/league reaction cause not everyone realizes that can happen, and sort of throws the whole divisional thing outta whack.

I really question how "hot" Malkin and Crosby would have to be for them to carry the team to the Cup.

In my mind, if this team is going to the Cup, it's the bottom-6 that needs to start scoring. Asking Sid and Geno to average 1.5 goals-produced (EACH) 4 games out of 7 over 24 games... is kind of nuts.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
If the Pens make it our of the 2nd round I wouldn't be surprised to see them win the Cup. Their terrible-ness against the Metro will be their undoing.

kodoshin

Mar 26, 2007
The key thing about this team that worries me the most, has hurt us this season and several before is our lack of discipline. Especially if Sid or Geno lose their cool, it seems like the whole lineup gets out of sorts. At that point we are done. The stars absolutely have to keep their cool.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
The key thing about this team that worries me the most, has hurt us this season and several before is our lack of discipline. Especially if Sid or Geno lose their cool, it seems like the whole lineup gets out of sorts. At that point we are done. The stars absolutely have to keep their cool.

Depends on what you mean by that...

If you mean retaliating, then maybe Downie or Lapierre need to make themselves useful by issuing some type of response. That stuff shouldn't be on Sid and Geno. They shouldn't have to entertain the schtick of some third liner. If they do, it's understandable, but also wrong.

If it is losing their focus when things aren't going right, then you're right. They need to maintain their composure and play through it.

Last edited:

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
i dont seen any metric that suggests the pens should be a good playoff team.

they are pretty much the anti-thesis of a playoff club. weak d, mediocre bottom six, poor scoring depth, one of the worst playoff goalies in the league, undisciplined, small, soft, mentally weak. if you were to design an ideal playoff team, the penguins would be the opposite of that team in every area, except top two centers.

random chance is really all they have going for them.

rightwinglock

Feb 9, 2015
If we can get through Isles and/or Rangers I like our chances against the rest of the field. So, I guess I'm going with the Stanley Cup Finals.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
They'd beat anybody in the east except NYR. Sadly that will be the first or second round matchup.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
They'd beat anybody in the east except NYR. Sadly that will be the first or second round matchup.

Yeah. They have beaten the Capitals and Isles over the course of the season. The Rangers though... The only win they have against them (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) was in a shootout, and even that involved a strange set of circumstances. I would be sincerely surprised if they beat AV and co.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
With the Rags winning a huge game at Long Island yesterday, it looks like they are gonna win the Metro. That means we will probably face the Islanders in R1. I think that there´s a slight chance that the Caps rally through the Isles to the 3rd place OR that we somehow rally through the Rags for the 1st place but it´s 90% Pens vs Isles in R1. Home ice is still wide open there, we are 4 pts behind them but we have a better TB and 3 games in hand. I think we will get that home ice, but that´s just me.

THat said, NYR as a divisional winner will probably face the Bruins/Caps in R1, far from a cakewalk. Anything can happen.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
With the Rags winning a huge game at Long Island yesterday, it looks like they are gonna win the Metro. That means we will probably face the Islanders in R1. I think that there´s a slight chance that the Caps rally through the Isles to the 3rd place OR that we somehow rally through the Rags for the 1st place but it´s 90% Pens vs Isles in R1. Home ice is still wide open there, we are 4 pts behind them but we have a better TB and 3 games in hand. I think we will get that home ice, but that´s just me.

THat said, NYR as a divisional winner will probably face the Bruins/Caps in R1, far from a cakewalk. Anything can happen.

I'm almost hoping they don't get home ice. Change it up make them feel like the underdog for a change. Although Johnston actually has the mental capacity to utilize home ice advantage a little as opposed to bylsma who let the other team have the advantage 100% of the time.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004

Islanders are a bad matchup - I could see them demolishing the Pens

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Islanders are a bad matchup - I could see them demolishing the Pens
They´re not ideal but that series would be wide-open. Would you prefer the Rangers?? Or the Capitals or Bruins? Because those are our only realistic possibilities now. Isles are not built for the playoffs longrun imo, but they could certainly trouble the Pens. In this case, it´s all about lesser evils, though.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
I'm almost hoping they don't get home ice. Change it up make them feel like the underdog for a change. Although Johnston actually has the mental capacity to utilize home ice advantage a little as opposed to bylsma who let the other team have the advantage 100% of the time.

No way do I want NYI getting home ice their last year in Long Island, it will be a hostile environment.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
i dont seen any metric that suggests the pens should be a good playoff team.

they are pretty much the anti-thesis of a playoff club. weak d, mediocre bottom six, poor scoring depth, one of the worst playoff goalies in the league, undisciplined, small, soft, mentally weak. if you were to design an ideal playoff team, the penguins would be the opposite of that team in every area, except top two centers.

random chance is really all they have going for them.

nhchancelp

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
No way do I want NYI getting home ice their last year in Long Island, it will be a hostile environment.
There are some matchups where I wouldn´t mind starting on the road (like the Habs who are really excelling on the road with their defensive style) but the Isles are not one of those. Home ice vs them would be nice to have. Nassau is gonna be a tough building these playoffs.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
There are some real issues.

And even bigger questions. MAF in the playoffs, with MJ is a moron or not being the biggest among many. And the justifiable skepticism. Well earned skepticism about this team.

That said, judging by the main boards and comments I hear elsewhere this team is very close to being not taken seriously at other team's peril. On paper, as in previous years, this team should scare the **** out of every other team in the league. But I hear Flyer fans saying how the Flyers would sweep this team in four if only they made the playoffs. Little better from anyone else.

That usually is a recipe for disaster. We have only seen this from the other side of the fence. Maybe for once it can work in the Pens' favor as other teams go into a series against us wondering only if they win in 4 or 5 games and by how many dozen goals each game.

NastyNick

Sep 7, 2007
Pittsburgh
Being underrated in the playoffs is a good place to be. I'm very happy with where this team is right now. They are playing good hockey. Fleury doesn't look like hes ready to collapse. Their talent is fully capable of getting them to the finals. Its just a matter of getting the right momentum at the right time. The Isles have already peaked and are cooling off considerably. The Rangers are peaking right now. I could see both of those teams getting favored in a series vs the Pens. Heck.. even the Capitals might be favored.

Being the underdog and on the road would be a great thing for this team.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
It's hard to say without knowing who our opponents will be.

The way this team goes I think if we win one round we might go all the way to the finals, but we could also easily lose in the first round.

Agreed.

Although, with more meat up front (Lapierre instead of Goc; Winnik instead of Ebbett/Arco), I like our chances against the Metro a Hell of a lot better than I did in January.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad