Poll: Pens playoff predictions

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Can beat the Isles in 7. Even shot against the Habs in 7. Can't beat the Rags or Caps in 7. Most likely first round exit until opponent becomes clear.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
First round exit. 4-1, 4-2 if we are lucky. Washington, Islanders, and the Rangers will eat our lunch. They will have the drive and passion to bury us. We won't.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Can beat the Isles in 7. Even shot against the Habs in 7. Can't beat the Rags or Caps in 7. Most likely first round exit until opponent becomes clear.

Old style format, we may have a chance. New style, no way.

I believe we have a shot against Montreal, Detroit, and Boston. Maybe Tampa although I wouldn't bet on it. We just don't match up against the Rags, Isles, or Caps anymore. They are too big, too fast, too deep for us to handle any more.

Rags defense will shut us down, if they don't - Lundqvist will.

Isles just have the offense to keep us pinned too long.

Caps are a new team that has size and skill and a defensive minded system.

here's what we have to hope for:

Against the Rags: Their offense turns anemic like its known to do. Lunqvist struggle.

Caps: Their defense breaks down and Holtby struggles.

Isles: Halak and their defense struggle.

With that:

Sid and Geno come to play, MAF turns in a Conn Smyth performance and steals games (he HAS to make those 1 or 2 saves a game that save us), and we get contributions throughout the line up. Mostly meaning we run Bennett instead of Adams.

I believe we have to hope teams lose to us rather than us winning over them. And yes, there is a difference.

Contender

Sep 22, 2014
I'm trying not to have expectations this year as I'm incredibly tired of constantly being let down by this team. With that said, if the Penguins can somehow make it out of the first two rounds I can definitely see them making to the Stanley Cup finals. They might even have a shot against a Western team seeing as they play well against the West. Still, those Metro teams will be difficult to defeat.

Nashville/Pittsburgh SCF so we can have more endless debates about the Neal/Hornqvist and Spaling trade.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I'm trying not to have expectations this year as I'm incredibly tired of constantly being let down by this team. With that said, if the Penguins can somehow make it out of the first two rounds I can definitely see them making to the Stanley Cup finals. They might even have a shot against a Western team seeing as they play well against the West. Still, those Metro teams will be difficult to defeat.

Nashville/Pittsburgh SCF so we can have more endless debates about the Neal/Hornqvist and Spaling trade.

I would love a Chicago vs Pittsburgh match up. That's what I want. I want Sid vs Toews.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
Tampa and Detroit are the only ones I'd feel confident against.
NYI, NYR, Caps and have potential for debacle....

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Honestly, only the rangers scare me. The islanders are still too inexperienced, Malkin owns tampa, and the pens will have a psychological advantage over the caps in a playoff series. Against montreal it's probably a coin toss.

Agreed, I don't like our chance's against the Rangers, I hope we either win the division or see them win it. I like our chances against the NYI even if we've struggled at times against them.

YinzAintBurgh*

Without Silicone Despres we are bound for a first round exit

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Despite the up and down season, this is probably the best roster on paper that the crosby/malkin era pens have had. Tough to predict how it'll shake out, but if i had to guess i'd say loss to NYR in the second round.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Despite the up and down season, this is probably the best roster on paper that the crosby/malkin era pens have had. Tough to predict how it'll shake out, but if i had to guess i'd say loss to NYR in the second round.

I think at the end of the day, it's going to be the same question we've had since the Habs series in 2010. Which MAF will show up come playoff time?

If he can keep playing the way he has this year, I think we can take handle the rangers with our depth now compared to previous seasons.

ETA

Aug 8, 2008
A wild card in all of this is how the refs are going to call the playoffs.

If they call penalties the way they should, that will help the Pens a lot.

If they let the hooking and shots to the back of Crosby's head go then it's gonna be a lot harder.

I'm definitely rooting for them but I think the odds will be against them every step of the way except maybe against Detroit / Tampa / Boston. This is assuming Ottawa / Florida / Flyers don't get in which is a big assumption at this point.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Nothing would surprise me, from first round loss to getting to the Cup finals. The East is that wide open.

Koempel

Mar 8, 2010
Leuven
Realistically, I do not see us beating a healthy, firing-on-all-cylinders NYR team. Prefer meeting them in the conference finals, where they hopefully arrive bruised and battered. Capitals/Islanders are beatable, but against this Pens team I give them a slight advantage. The other teams we should beat. On paper, I think this is the best Pens team in the Crosby/Malkin era, unfortunately the rest of our conference/division finally got their heads out of their *****. Looking forward to seeing Fleury redeeming himself. Who knows what that will lead to...

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
*rubbing my magic 8 ball* Check again later.

IF the Pens can manage to continue the play of the last 3-4 games until the rest of the season, I can see a berth in the ECF or Finals.

If they revert to the play from mid-December until recently (which, imo, is much more likely with this group), 1st round exit. Without any doubt.

EDIT: If the Pens fall into the last wildcard and can somehow manage to play Mtl or TB, MAYBE they can win a round. Maybe.

Last edited:

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
I see them losing in the first or second round before I see them losing the ECF.

If they make it that far I think they win the ECF.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Nothing would surprise me, from first round loss to getting to the Cup finals. The East is that wide open.

Wide open for a couple teams.

Tampa, Montreal, Isles, Caps, Rags, yes.

Detroit, Pens, Boston, less so.

Anyone of Detroit, Pens, or Boston, IMHO...have quite the hill to climb.

Here's the thing, if we are going to do anything, we need to get hot at the right time. We can have a nice easy glide into the post season. We need to be ready to play during like games 78 to 82 in preparation. The lackadaisical approach where we don't gear up until game 3-4 when we realize its an actual series...can't do it. Too even this year. I'm not yet convinced they have that attitude yet.

I'm hoping they lose some games 70 to 78 that really start to get their heads on straight and playing well. 5-3 to Columbus...that ain't gonna cut it. We should be winning those 5-1 or 5-0.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
*rubbing my magic 8 ball* Check again later.

IF the Pens can manage to continue the play of the last 3-4 games until the rest of the season, I can see a berth in the ECF or Finals.

If they revert to the play from mid-December until recently (which, imo, is much more likely with this group), 1st round exit. Without any doubt.

EDIT: If the Pens fall into the last wildcard and can somehow manage to play Mtl or TB, MAYBE they can win a round. Maybe.

Not how it works. It will likely be Isles, Rags, or Caps. Metro division semis then metro finals, then conference finals, then cup finals. So we have to beat 2 of Isles, Caps, Rags...

Sucks because I'd put us up against any of the NE group. But we won't see them until ECF.

specialized

Jan 24, 2013
I do not think this team is soft at all, Winnik,Downie and Lappy will help remedy that, plus Hornqvist goes to the net and will cause trouble for opposing goalies.

As always it will come down to how Crosby, Malkin, Fluery and Letang.

Im not buying the argument that trading Bort and Despres will be the reason we will have a first round exit, We had those guys for the last two years and we know how well that ended.

This is the best Penguin team we have had in a long time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad