Poll: Pens playoff predictions

mikethelegacy

formerly mikelegacy
May 9, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa
I think East finals. I'm more optimistic than most about this playoff run. I think we will click at the right time. And we arguably have a deep forward lineup than 2012-2013.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
My prediction.. we'll make it past the first round and then lose in the divisional final.

Key reason: our defense is as soft as they come, Scuderi / Lovejoy have been liabilities in the past and will continue be, and the secondary scoring will dry up. Plus, Fleury will likely experience one of his typical post-season meltdowns.

ETA

Aug 8, 2008
Seems to me there are going to be a number of teams that the Pens will have trouble beating unless Fleury is lights-out or Sid / Geno are beasts.

Do people really feel that the Pens would be favored over any of Montreal, Isles, Rags, Caps?

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
It's hard to say without knowing who our opponents will be.

The way this team goes I think if we win one round we might go all the way to the finals, but we could also easily lose in the first round.

kodoshin

Mar 26, 2007
I think this team is starting to find itself. Not thrilled with the Despres trade, very upset actually, but I still feel this team, as far as its on ice performance is better than it has shown us thus far, and is starting to move in the right direction. I see us at least making round 2, but I wouldn't be shocked if we got to the finals. Normally not an optimistic person, but I guess this thread caught me at the right time. Finals.

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
We have a good team. We're just not playing good hockey.

If we gel before the playoffs - ECF with potential

If we play like we have been the last 2 months - 1st round exit easy

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
My prediction.. we'll make it past the first round and then lose in the divisional final.

Key reason: our defense is as soft as they come, Scuderi / Lovejoy have been liabilities in the past and will continue be, and the secondary scoring will dry up. Plus, Fleury will likely experience one of his typical post-season meltdowns.

I understand he has had his flounders in past postseasons, but he has been, by far, the most consistent pen this year. I get where you're coming from, but I think its a little unfair.

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
People forget that we are Bylsma free! This team is constructed to perform in the post season, so I wouldn't be shocked if we reach the Stanley Cup finals.

FRUSTRATEDPENFAN*

I think East finals. I'm more optimistic than most about this playoff run. I think we will click at the right time. And we arguably have a deep forward lineup than 2012-2013.

Who knows anyone in the east can win this year there isn't a dominant team

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Soft teams mentally and physically don't win the Cup. We have shown time and time again we are soft in both categories. Our D is going to get run over come playoff time.

Uemoda

Formerly OminousGrey
Jun 28, 2011
Pennsylvania
www.twitter.com
I say Eastern finals. As mad as I am about the Despres thing, we do have as good a chance as anyone in the Metro. Our roster is far better than last year's. Problem is, the other 3 teams improved even more.

I'm banking on Sid & Geno being difference makers. I still think Montreal is the team to beat in the East, though.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
in all seriousness, I'm very polarized on this team. They are, imo, either out quickly, or they are staying around til the end.

If they can get by the Islanders/Rangers/Caps in the first round, I think they'll have discovered how to play and will ride that wave to the finals.

Uemoda

Formerly OminousGrey
Jun 28, 2011
Pennsylvania
www.twitter.com
in all seriousness, I'm very polarized on this team. They are, imo, either out quickly, or they are staying around til the end.

If they can get by the Islanders/Rangers/Caps in the first round, I think they'll have discovered how to play and will ride that wave to the finals.

I tend to agree. It's a complete unknown how that first series is going to go, but on paper, I like this team.

Black Label

Aug 6, 2009
Amsterdam
It all depends on the matchup really. If we play a team like Florida in the first round somehow, we aren't going to lose. If we play Montreal/Tampa/NYI I could see us going out in the first round.

mikethelegacy

formerly mikelegacy
May 9, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa
It all depends on the matchup really. If we play a team like Florida in the first round somehow, we aren't going to lose. If we play Montreal/Tampa/NYI I could see us going out in the first round.

It would be VERY weird to play Florida in the first round. The playoffs are bracket style now and you stay in your conference for the first two rounds unless both the wild cards are from the opposite division, then one non-divisional team would be in our bracket.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
Honestly, only the rangers scare me. The islanders are still too inexperienced, Malkin owns tampa, and the pens will have a psychological advantage over the caps in a playoff series. Against montreal it's probably a coin toss.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Seems to me there are going to be a number of teams that the Pens will have trouble beating unless Fleury is lights-out or Sid / Geno are beasts.

Do people really feel that the Pens would be favored over any of Montreal, Isles, Rags, Caps?

We did win the last game against the Craps so we would have a chance against them.

The Isles lack playoffs experience and the only game we lost against the Habs was this ref. Joke where they scored after Gallagher pushed Fleury and when Downie was in the box after getting pushed on Price by Markov.

I do fear the Rags in the east but that's it.

Deutschland Dangler

Jun 17, 2014

No, they'd probably not be favored against a lot of those teams. And that's exactly why I have a pretty good feeling about this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad