Poll: Flames Midseason Prospect Pool Rankings

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I was simply rebutting his statements as to why he thought Poirier was better, I never criticized anyone. Obviously that's his opinion and that's fine, it's also fine to have a friendly debate over the matter. So interjecting to criticize me for (not) criticizing someone else seems kind of stupid to me. And yes Sven has proven more, he's proven he can play in the NHL, although not consistently at this point, but nonetheless he's more proven.

Well, you did infer that I had a made-up psychological disease you call "shiny toy syndrome", which suggests your opinion is somehow more rational. My compairson between Poirer and Baertschi is based on the only time we've seen playing on the same ice surface and that was during training camp, where Poirer demonstrated to being the better player.

Moreover, I'd argue that Baertschi hasn't proven he can play in the NHL? Otherwise he'd be playing in the NHL... Hell at this point, Baertschi is proving he can barely play in the AHL!

EDIT: Also Murfin, its easy to talk a big game when you're too yella' to make your own rankings available for criticism. :naughty:

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
..... but Poirer has been producing even though he's spent a significant more time in the penalty box. Thus far Poirer has 115 penalty minutes, whereas Baertschi had 36 that whole season.

79 more minutes in the penalty box won't make much difference in terms of point production. You're talking about 1 point.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
My 2 cents, I believe Sven has better offensive ability and as such will likely be a slightly more productive player. However, I think Poirier has other aspects to his game that Sven simply does not have. The good news here is that there is room for both in our top 6, and potentially even on the same line. Although I think Poirier is a better fit to play alongside JG. They are both close in terms of upside and ranking, however personally I give an edge to Sven. His offensive creativity and playmaking ability is so hard to find, although admittedly finding a player that can bang, PK, and score is really hard to find to.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
79 more minutes in the penalty box won't make much difference in terms of point production. You're talking about 1 point.

Arguable. Mainly, a player can be in the doghouse after taking a penalty and there for ice time gets reduced afterwards. Also, a hot hand usually tears it up in bundles, so time in the penalty box can take players off their groove for a shift or two.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Well, you did infer that I had a made-up psychological disease you call "shiny toy syndrome", which suggests your opinion is somehow more rational. My compairson between Poirer and Baertschi is based on the only time we've seen playing on the same ice surface and that was during training camp, where Poirer demonstrated to being the better player.

Moreover, I'd argue that Baertschi hasn't proven he can play in the NHL? Otherwise he'd be playing in the NHL... Hell at this point, Baertschi is proving he can barely play in the AHL!

EDIT: Also Murfin, its easy to talk a big game when you're too yella' to make your own rankings available for criticism. :naughty:

14 points in 23 gp is hardly "barely AHL" material. And you would notice I said not consistently this point, which is to say he has proven in he is capable of playing in the NHL. You could use the argument of a strong team for Sven while I will reply with Poirier being the only good player on a bad team, they have no choice but to play the kid in every instance of every game. No knock against him but I made sure to watch a lot of Baertschi in Portland when I could and he was downright dominant. And I don't take training camps all too seriously. Let's not forget the great James Martin getting "snubbed" after having a great training camp. At this point, Poirier hasn't played a pro game, so there's nothing here to say he's better or more ready. Different types of players so to compare their skills is like comparing Glencross to Tanguay, no point.. They could both succeed, they could both flop. But like I said, at this point, Baertschi>Poirier..

Also I've done the poll, barely finished mind you lol, but didn't realize I needed to post my list to have an opinion.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Flames fans bickering over who's the better prospect? #realproblems

I am neutral in this "argument". As long as the prospect makes some sort of impact in the NHL in the near future,then the flames have succeeded in producing an NHL player. That is the goal anyways right?

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I am neutral in this "argument". As long as the prospect makes some sort of impact in the NHL in the near future,then the flames have succeeded in producing an NHL player. That is the goal anyways right?

What are saying, huh??

That we should all be getting along!? Screw you buddy!! :sarcasm:

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010

You must pick a side. For all that is right in the world, for this boards sake, pick a ****ing side!!!!

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I feel like you are giving stats a little too much weight in your argument MarkGio.

I tried not to. I said Poirer has a better game, given his tool box. Baertschi doesn't check or grind and he doesn't shoot the puck enough. He's got soft, magical hands. But that alone wasn't good enough, and that argument gave me a condition called shiny boy syndrome or something. Apparently Baertschi is the better prospect because he "had a better Junior season", to which I find arguable and rebutted.

I think both players are great young talents. I'm the last person to hype a project, 5 year old player as a promising NHLer compared to a legit, NHLer. But I was the only person here that said Poirer would make the team after watching camp, despite never watching him play Junior before the draft.

So then Poirer shocks everyone else and tears up the Q. I only needed to see a few games to know he was a great talent. I've been on the Poirer train ever since.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
I first want to say I'm new to this site and I love talking Fla,es to someone that knows. I live in Toronto so I mention Tim Harrison and everyone looks confused

1-Monahan
2-Gaudreau
3-Baertschi
4-Gillies
5-Poirier
6-Gillies
7-Jankowski
8-Wotherspoon
9-Sieloff
10-Klimchuk
11-Knight
12-Ortio
13-Reinhart
14-Arnold
15-Hranlund
16-Agostino
17-Billins
18-Hanowski
19-Ferland
20-Ramage

I guess Blair Jones and Paul Byron aren't prospects any more. I love those two, I think they should be full time NHLers.

Another prospect I like is Lane MacDermid. He pretty much a new Tim Jackman.

And I think they sould bring up Sieloff or Cundari amd have them play with Wideman. Brodie and Russel had their breakout year when they got paired with Wideman.

Another Q:Who'd you rather have, Jankowski and Sieloff or Gergensons? Remeber the 2012 draft trade

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
Sven Baertschi was on pace for 43 points this year in the NHL. That's a good 2nd liner. He should be higher on peoples list. And Gillies should be high as well

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Tim Harrison

not.jpg

Just kidding, welcome!

I'm happy having Janks and Sieloff, to be honest, but I know that it's far from clear-cut.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Sven Baertschi was on pace for 43 points this year in the NHL. That's a good 2nd liner. He should be higher on peoples list. And Gillies should be high as well

He is also on pace for 35 points in a full year in the AHL. Much like his play his stats are also inconsistent. That being said I can't see him being lower than 4th.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I first want to say I'm new to this site and I love talking Fla,es to someone that knows. I live in Toronto so I mention Tim Harrison and everyone looks confused

1-Monahan
2-Gaudreau
3-Baertschi
4-Gillies
5-Poirier
6-Gillies
7-Jankowski
8-Wotherspoon
9-Sieloff
10-Klimchuk
11-Knight
12-Ortio
13-Reinhart
14-Arnold
15-Hranlund
16-Agostino
17-Billins
18-Hanowski
19-Ferland
20-Ramage

I guess Blair Jones and Paul Byron aren't prospects any more. I love those two, I think they should be full time NHLers.

Another prospect I like is Lane MacDermid. He pretty much a new Tim Jackman.

And I think they sould bring up Sieloff or Cundari amd have them play with Wideman. Brodie and Russel had their breakout year when they got paired with Wideman.

Another Q:Who'd you rather have, Jankowski and Sieloff or Gergensons? Remeber the 2012 draft trade

Welcome to the board KGL! Looks like you have Gillies in your list twice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad