Poll; Buy, Sell, or Hold ?

What Do You Want Detroit to do at the Trade Deadline ?

• Buy

Votes: 39 37.5%
  • Sell

Votes: 13 12.5%
  • Stand Pat

Votes: 34 32.7%
  • Get Off my Lawn! I want whatever Yzerman wants.

Votes: 18 17.3%

• Total voters

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
March 8th trade Deadline is just 16 days away now.
I don’t see our circumstances changing much in the next two weeks from what they currently are (dead heat battle for a wild card).

Interested to hear what everyone thinks the Red Wings general mentality/approach should be towards trades this deadline?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think we should look at some combo of buying and selling.

I would try to move one of Ghost or Maatta, if possible.

If I get the sense that Sprong may want to hit the market and not re-sign, I think you have to move him.

Then I’d be looking at the players that are surefire upgrades to the roster and kicking tires and seeing what the asking price is.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
No rentals
Would "buy" a player with long-term aspirations
Agree with Frk it in I would move one of Ghost or Maatta
Would be fine with doing nothing/selling minor pieces
Hopefully we make the playoffs and resign Kane for 2 seasons.

Reactions: Holden Caufield

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
I just want to see all the players I don’t like fired into the sun.
we aren't going to be that lucky. perron will still be here

Stand pat, either we make the playoffs or we don't but if we make it, thats more valuable than a extra 3rd and 5th round picks what Perron and Ghost can fetch us.
I think ghost could get us a good second rounder without retention...

stillwater

cellar door
Mar 17, 2011
There could be more options. Like to see them buy to get someone they can sign and keep for 4-8 years, like the DeBrincat. If that's what they're buying, then fine.

Really don't want to pay for someone who's significantly past their prime years. So, if that's a vote for "buy", it doesn't work for me.

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
Given no combo option, I chose get off my lawn.

The only young player of value, that people discuss as trade bait, is Berggren. The vets coming off contract this season are either flops or essential runs for a playoff spot.

UFA

Kane
Perron
Sprong
Fischer
Ghost
Reimer

Contract dumps discussed at one time or another.

Holl
Petry
Chiarot

This is a team struggling to get into a final playoff spot. Yzerman has said they are building for a sustained future in the post season. That leads one to conclude younger players on the upside of development will not be moved UNLESS the return is a young player that fits a different need.

In the UFA group, some would certainly bring a nice return, but it sends a white flag notice to the players.

In the contract dump section, no one is taking Holl (even if waived). Petry likely has a NTC in his deal and like it or not Chiarot is the #2 D'man on this roster.

IF the Wings thought Edvinsson could backfill, thye might move a D man, but I don't see it. Ghost is barely functional in his own end, but he is producing on the PP.

A surprise move could involved Veleno, who is an RFA this off season.

Like last season, the big decision will come at the deadline. Barring injuries and/or a losing streak, does Yzerman pull the plug on a potentional playoff spot? I say no. Any post season play helps the kids develop and does put a few more bucks in the bank. Will he consider a move to make the team better over the short and long haul? Yes.
In summary, stay off my lawn.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
I went with the get off my lawn answer, just because there’s no hard answer to buy, hold, or sell. It all depends on various factors. So I trust whatever Yzerman does.

What I would like to see is a few minor moves at least. With Edvinsson, AlJo, Berggren, and even Mazur/Kasper waiting in the wings to get some NHL reps in, we have NHL depth we can afford to ship out because it’s holding deserving prospects back. One of Fabbri and Sprong, and one of Holl, Petry and Maatta could easily be moved with little to no effect on the team’s playoff chances. The 2nd/3rd rd picks they would bring back are just more kicks at the can at the draft, or capital for other trades.

I would love to see a Hanifin acquisition, but only if the trade cost is reasonable, and if he’ll sign a reasonable extension. If Hanifin is acquired, ship out 2 of the above-named dmen, assuming they weren’t included in the Hanifin trade.

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
I’m firmly in the buy category.
But our situation is complicated. We actually have good depth on the roster already. So the typical (and easy) ‘let’s grab a depth defenseman and a checking forward for a couple mid round picks’ approach doesn’t really help us at all.

We would need to grab a legitimate top 4 Defenseman or a true top 6 winger to actually improve the outlook of this team. That would require a real hockey trade and those are very difficult to find and complete against a deadline.
So I would also understand standing Pat.

At this point I would be disappointed with even a ‘soft sell’.
You are shooting yourself in the foot twice.
i) It hurts our chances to make the playoffs
ii) It could also hurt our chances to resign Kane

Resigning Kane is worth a lot more than whatever 2nd and 4th round picks you might fetch selling off a couple vets. He came here with the goal to win. I doubt he would be happy to find out the organizations is more focused on acquiring mid round picks.

Last edited:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Given no combo option, I chose get off my lawn.

The only young player of value, that people discuss as trade bait, is Berggren. The vets coming off contract this season are either flops or essential runs for a playoff spot.

UFA

Kane
Perron
Sprong
Fischer
Ghost
Reimer

Contract dumps discussed at one time or another.

Holl
Petry
Chiarot

This is a team struggling to get into a final playoff spot. Yzerman has said they are building for a sustained future in the post season. That leads one to conclude younger players on the upside of development will not be moved UNLESS the return is a young player that fits a different need.

In the UFA group, some would certainly bring a nice return, but it sends a white flag notice to the players.

In the contract dump section, no one is taking Holl (even if waived). Petry likely has a NTC in his deal and like it or not Chiarot is the #2 D'man on this roster.

IF the Wings thought Edvinsson could backfill, thye might move a D man, but I don't see it. Ghost is barely functional in his own end, but he is producing on the PP.

A surprise move could involved Veleno, who is an RFA this off season.

Like last season, the big decision will come at the deadline. Barring injuries and/or a losing streak, does Yzerman pull the plug on a potentional playoff spot? I say no. Any post season play helps the kids develop and does put a few more bucks in the bank. Will he consider a move to make the team better over the short and long haul? Yes.
In summary, stay off my lawn.

Petry and Chiarot aren't getting dumped. Winning teams don't dump their second pair D. Nobody will take Holl, but if there's a taker without retention, Stevie would be wise to trade him for future considerations.

There's no roster limit after the deadline, that will allow Stevie to evaluate Ed and Burger towards the end of the season, especially if the team either locks into a playoff spot or gets eliminated. Any trade involving Maatta/Holl probably happens during the summer.

Ghost won't return enough to make it worthwhile to sell him. He fetched a 3rd last season. Draper takes extra second round picks and uses them for players like Cleveland, what's the point of getting another 3rd rounder? Draft his daughter?

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
As several people have mentioned, buy if they opportunity is there but only for the long term good of the team. Not just for this season.

I don't know that anyone we'd want to get rid of would bring enough in return to make it worthwhile (I'm looking at you Holl).

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
I am mostly in the hold area. As currently constructed, this team is good enough to make the playoffs, and I think they will barring major injuries.

But we don't know what kind of playoff team this will be yet, a lot of unproven playoff pieces on this roster. They could rise up, or they could shrink. Who knows.

Getting a long term piece wouldn't be bad, but price dependent for sure. Hanifin extended, maybe? I wouldn't want to touch a Jake Guentzel extension at all. Maybe Steve could rip off his buddy Doug Armstrong one more time, but right now, I don't see STL selling.

We won't sell, everyone might as well get on board with that right now. The idea of a playoff team selling off vets to make room for rookies for a playoff push is something GMs don't do and coaches don't trust. I would bet dollars to donuts Yzerman and Lalonde feel the same way.

So barring injury, don't get your hopes up for Ed, Burgers or anyone else from GR getting a roster spot, it ain't happening.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I chose hold but like most people, it's an "it depends."

Ideally, we can move at least one more defenseman than we bring in so that Edvinsson can have a spot.

Ideally, we move any of our UFAs that aren't going to resign and find suitable replacements either in GR (Berggren, Ed, AlJo) or on the market.

Ideally, we can add a signed top 4 young defenseman like Noah Hanifin without giving up anything too important (multiple 1sts, Ed, Kasper, Danielson).

Ideally we can replace Husso with a decent backup for cheap (3rd round pick)

If we can't do those things, just hold. I'd rather make no move than the wrong move and most moves are the wrong ones.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Buy if we can get a legit top four defenseman who will stay with the team.

Sell Maatta and Ghost.

See if someone will take Holl for a second.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Sell Maata, Ghost, Holl, Fabbri , Perron
Buy : #1 ld, top 6 power forward .
We probably going to lose Ghost and Perron for nothing if not going to trade them in couple of weeks

I'd rather see the team make the playoffs than worry about getting a 3rd round pick for Ghost and a 5th for Peron. No roster limit means extra bodies in case of injuries.

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
I will add, if Arizona wanted to cough up Lawson Crouse for a not to bad price, I would do that. Put him with Kane Larkin, put Ras back down with the Copp Fischer line. That top 9 would be pretty nice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad