Poll: Are you willing to pay to move from #5 to #2?

Would you trade #5 and our 4 2nds to move up to #2

• Total voters

Emerica

May 29, 2010
With how stacked our prospect pool already is, yes I'd be willing to. We'd still leave with 3 first round picks.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
With how stacked our prospect pool already is, yes I'd be willing to. We'd still leave with 3 first round picks.

Teams usually prefer to deal in picks though, and the price to move up pick by pick is more expensive higher in the draft.

I'd imagine it would cost 5+15+33 as a minimum. (That's obviously assuming NYI lose and we get 15). 5 to 2 is a pretty big jump. It is hard to evaluate though, because there aren't any recent historical examples. The only one I know about that is anywhere close would be in 2015 Toronto asking Columbus for 34, 38, and 58 in exchange to move down from 4 to 8. To me, 5 to 2 seems like it should cost more than 4 to 8, but it's not an apples to apples comparison.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
No for me. I don’t think Byfield is safe enough for me personally, though the Sens do have the prospect depth to do it.

I think the possibility that someone like Rossi, Raymond, Drysdale, etc. ends up almost as good as Byfield is too high of a possibility to risk 4 shots at getting multiple players of the top 6 / top 4 quality.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
No way I trade that. The 3 players picked at 5, NYI, and 33 may end up being as good as a top ten pick anyway.

I like Byfield and sorta hope we get him but there is a lot risk in his projection. I’m not giving up Drysdale/Raymond + Mercer/Quinn + Baron/Guhle to turn Drysdale into Byfield.

Reactions: derriko

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I'd do it, but obviously would prefer to not have to give up all our 2020 2nd rounders.

Getting Byfield and Stutzle would be incredible. We need to get better and we already have a solid prospect pool; we need another impact player ASAP more than we need more picks.

Maybe 5th + a good prospect (Brannstrom?) + one 2nd round pick is more palatable. We have a good success rate with 2nd round picks so I'd like to keep a few of them.

Last edited:

WaitingInVain

Jul 5, 2012
I'd do it, but obviously would prefer to not have to give up all our 2020 2nd rounders.

Getting Byfield and Stutzle would be incredible. We need to get better and we already have a solid prospect pool; we need another impact player ASAP more than we need more picks.

Maybe 5th + a good prospect (Brannstrom?) + one 2nd round pick is more palatable. We have a good success rate with 2nd round picks so I'd like to keep a few of them.

The four 2nds is what I can't get behind. But, I generally agree with the above.

Take the Isles pick, 2-3 seconds (not including 33), a talented prospect (Logan Brown) and see if you can get back into the top 10.

Getting:
Elite player in tier 2 (Stutzle)
Two Tier 3 (Raymond/Drysdale, Holtz/Quinn/Sanderson/Askarov)

You can remake your top 6 in one draft with three players of significance to go with Tkachuk, Batherson and Norris. Or, get two first line players and Drysdale/Sanderson or Askarov. Second option you'll have to look at trading Brannstrom, JBD or Thomson, or Gustavsson or Daccord. Not immediately, but within a couple of years and that could be a strong return.

Using the draft and prospect capital to move up in a strong draft is the best strategy. I think they'll stick with 3 and 5, looking at the other picks in the second and third round as ammunition to target certain players that can play early and save Melnyk money.

Last edited:

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
No for me. I don’t think Byfield is safe enough for me personally, though the Sens do have the prospect depth to do it.

I think the possibility that someone like Rossi, Raymond, Drysdale, etc. ends up almost as good as Byfield is too high of a possibility to risk 4 shots at getting multiple players of the top 6 / top 4 quality.
Not to mention the 4 boom or bust picks we could target if we want high end talent. Top 60 prospects are so fluid sinceTsince so much changes from 15yo togto 18yo one or two 2nd round picks that go in the top 3-5 almost every redraft. Factor in we missed half a year of observation and bunch of late bloomers might be missed in the back end of first round of the draft.

Give me Rossi + 4 young risers.

Reactions: Raze The Stray

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
I'd be okay with them using the basket of 2nd/3rd round picks to move up somewhere but I'd like to still have two top 5 picks and another 1st rounder, not a fan of packaging multiple 1st rounders. Given how deep this draft apparently is it would seem that having multiple shots is better than paying to take a higher shot.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
As much as I want to move up, the 5th plus the 4 2nd rders is too much IMO. I would much rather trade away a few prospects/players that I think are replaceable with a pick or two to move up rather than give away all those picks. I would consider moving prospects/players like Brannstrom, Balcers, Abramov, Tierny, Duclair, Reilly, Gustavsson, Tychonick, Davidsson & maybe even Thomson or White.

Ottawa would need a 2nd rder to draft a RWer to play with Byfield & Stutzle like William Dufour RW. Or target Dylan Guenther RW in 2021 draft, I like Owen Power LD in the 2021 draft too.

Reactions: Raze The Stray

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
As much as I want to move up, the 5th plus the 4 2nd rders is too much IMO. I would much rather trade away a few prospects/players that I think are replaceable with a pick or two to move up rather than give away all those picks. I would consider moving prospects/players like Brannstrom, Balcers, Abramov, Tierny, Duclair, Reilly, Gustavsson, Tychonick, Davidsson & maybe even Thomson or White.

Ottawa would need a 2nd rder to draft a RWer to play with Byfield & Stutzle like William Dufour RW. Or target Dylan Guenther RW in 2021 draft, I like Owen Power LD in the 2021 draft too.

Giving away Brann + 5th for 2ND OA is a lot IMO. I’m not sure anyone can prove Byfield projects that much better than Drysdale, Raymond, or Rossi. I’d prefer him to those players ... but I’m not sure he will be any better. I’m really inclined to let the cards fall. There is nothing wrong with Stutzle/Raymond at 3OA and I think Byfield falls anyway.

I think our 5th OA + White gets us NJ’s second round pick.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I’d do it. We walk away with Byfield, Stuzel +another 1st round pick (Jacobs Perrault, Tyson Forester at RW) that’s a top line drafted for the next 15 years. Easy decision for me

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
That's the question I ask.

#5 and all four of our 2nd rounders to move up to #2?

Walk away with the Stutzle and Byfield .

Sacrifice FOUR 2nd round picks (33rd OA and 33 more ~ top-50) to move up from 5th to 2nd? Which means those 4 picks + Drysdale/Raymond/Rossi (or whoever is our BPA when we pick) vs the one we would not get among Byfield/Stutzle?

Hmmm NO

5th + 4 x 2nd for 1st OA, I would do it for obvious marketing reasons, which is what this franchise needs

Last edited:

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I know you hate White but that's a little excessive no?

What do you think 5th plus White gets us ? He had the 28th best xGAR in our organization.

and I don’t hate him ... I just see him as a Chaplik type player who has a $4.75 cap hit.

Reactions: DJB

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
What do you think 5th plus White gets us ? He had the 28th best xGAR in our organization.

and I don’t hate him ... I just see him as a Chaplik type player who has a $4.75 cap hit.

You should reread what you typed

Jhero

Jun 29, 2007
Dorion clearly said he sees Laf, 2-3, and then 4-12 as the tiers. If there’s any remote possibility of a fair deal that moves our 5th + any combination of prospects/draft picks for 2nd, that has to be looked at with absolute seriousness. Grabbing two game breakers and franchise level talent in a 1-2 punch could set us up nicely for the next decade.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
With any luck we get our 1st line centre for the next decade + with 3OA and either a top pairing RD (Drysdale) or 1LRW (Raymond) I really want to add Quinn/Holtz but not at 5OA but we should have the ammo to move up with the Isles pick if it’s in the 15-21 range.

Assets I’d use to move up for Quinn/Holtz include combinations of:
A couple of 2nds
Logan Brown, Lassi T., Abramov, Balcers,
Tierney, Duclair, etc...

I would not move JBD, Brann, Norris, Forms, Batherson to move up.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
No.

But I would move all the 2nds to get another first rounder in this draft, or even next draft (but if it's 2021, I'd want it to be from a lower tier team). 2021 isn't that strong, but we also have to spread out the picks (and subsequent contracts) a little bit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad