Poll: Are you willing to pay to move from #5 to #2?

Would you trade #5 and our 4 2nds to move up to #2

• Total voters

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
A lot of Ottawa Senator fans covet second round picks..... I think there would be an avalanche of negativity dumped on PD if he traded all the second rounders, disregardless if it meant acquiring the SOA ...... who remembers when former Senators second round pick Jonathan Dahlen was traded away ..... it was like the end of the world for some people.

So I would vote no.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
This is asinine. Colin white is young and coming off a sophomore slump. Also, we can't shed every salary over $3M, we have to hit the floor at some point.

Asanine ? What do you think a team would give us for White and his cap hit ? What draft pick do you think a team would give us ? We can absolutely can shed salary, we just need to be compliant close to the start of the season.

CornerStone61

Apr 13, 2015
Asanine ? What do you think a team would give us for White and his cap hit ? What draft pick do you think a team would give us ? We can absolutely can shed salary, we just need to be compliant close to the start of the season.

Why would we pay a top 5 pick to get out of his contract when our team is going to be bad for another few years? It literally makes no sense.

I've been lurking for a long time and really don't understand your obsession with dumping on White in literally all your posts. Yeah he was bad last year but our team isn't looking to compete yet anyway and I'm certainly not looking to mess up our rebuild by trading a top 5 pick to get out of his contract. Even with his perceived negative value, it would not take that much.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Why would we pay a top 5 pick to get out of his contract when our team is going to be bad for another few years? It literally makes no sense.

I've been lurking for a long time and really don't understand your obsession with dumping on White in literally all your posts. Yeah he was bad last year but our team isn't looking to compete yet anyway and I'm certainly not looking to mess up our rebuild by trading a top 5 pick to get out of his contract. Even with his perceived negative value, it would not take that much.

I was responding to the idea of packaging White with 5th to move up ... and my comment was sarcastically suggesting that no team would take White + 5OA for 2OA (which I believe is true).

White literally is not in all posts... you can check that yourself but nice meeting you. I won’t take any offence to your comment because I don’t understand why people defend him so much. It’s nice that people have compassion for the Colin White’s and Bobby Ryan’s of the world .

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
A lot of Ottawa Senator fans covet second round picks..... I think there would be an avalanche of negativity dumped on PD if he traded all the second rounders, disregardless if it meant acquiring the SOA ...... who remembers when former Senators second round pick Jonathan Dahlen was traded away ..... it was like the end of the world for some people.

So I would vote no.

The situations are not the same.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

He doesnt have negative value either. The block feature comes in handy to not derail conversations about relevant topics.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I did ? I think White has negative value and it would cost us to away from his contract.

What you said was

Our 5 overall pick plus Colin White to New Jersey for their 2nd round pick

So you're saying White's negative value is retreating about 30 spots in the draft

Sorry dude.... regardless of your thoughts on White... that's f***ing crazy

Reactions: Raze The Stray

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
What you said was

Our 5 overall pick plus Colin White to New Jersey for their 2nd round pick

So you're saying White's negative value is retreating about 30 spots in the draft

Sorry dude.... regardless of your thoughts on White... that's f***ing crazy

Maybe some hyperbole ... what do you think his negative value is worth (would cost us)? I’m not sure a team would take him if we added a late 2ND? Maybe Vegas would or the odd team around the league with tonnes go cap room ? Maybe Detroit ?

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I was responding to the idea of packaging White with 5th to move up ... and my comment was sarcastically suggesting that no team would take White + 5OA for 2OA (which I believe is true).

White literally is not in all posts... you can check that yourself but nice meeting you. I won’t take any offence to your comment because I don’t understand why people defend him so much. It’s nice that people have compassion for the Colin White’s and Bobby Ryan’s of the world .

Like i said....i think you need to slowly reread what you posted

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
Honestly, just go do some mock drafts and see the kids we could get in the 2nd.

They’re great prospects - but I’m still going for #2. It’s just too hard to acquire top level talent.

We’re getting close to the point where the system is full and guys might not be getting the proper ice time they need to develop.

But why are we aiming for two?

We could offer #1 four 2nds this year, two next, and take on at least one cap dump which could have cost them two assets. We could in theory extend a teams window to five to seven seasons instead of one or two.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Honestly, just go do some mock drafts and see the kids we could get in the 2nd.

They’re great prospects - but I’m still going for #2. It’s just too hard to acquire top level talent.

We’re getting close to the point where the system is full and guys might not be getting the proper ice time they need to develop.

But why are we aiming for two?

We could offer #1 four 2nds this year, two next, and take on at least one cap dump which could have cost them two assets. We could in theory extend a teams window to five to seven seasons instead of one or two.

Other reasons not to make the trade.

1. Our cupboard is full but we have a big hole at forward after Norris. There is a prospect gap between the end of Norris/Form/Bath and when we start to see these 2020 draft forwards contribute in the NHL.

2. I think our best chance of sustaining a competitive roster is recycling (most of our) 28+ Year old players for new prospects. To pull that off effectively we will need a zillion prospects to fill holes or use as capital for trades.

Assuming Stutzle goes to the NHL by at least 2021 we will only have Pinto in the AHL as a decent prospect. With our top 6 pics we will probably take at least 3-4 F and if one is Stutzle/Byfield we only have 2-3 of these guys developing in the AHL for 2021 ... thats is hardly “too many”.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Giving away Brann + 5th for 2ND OA is a lot IMO. I’m not sure anyone can prove Byfield projects that much better than Drysdale, Raymond, or Rossi. I’d prefer him to those players ... but I’m not sure he will be any better. I’m really inclined to let the cards fall. There is nothing wrong with Stutzle/Raymond at 3OA and I think Byfield falls anyway.

I think our 5th OA + White gets us NJ’s second round pick.
If Ottawa drafts Sanderson or Guhle IMO that makes Brannstrom expendable. It's not a lot to me, it's moving a player that we replaced with a better player for another good player.

White was a 1st rd pick & you want to give him away for a 2nd rder plus the 5th OA? Does that make sense to you or did you mean something else? White plus the 5th OA should get us NJ's 10th & 17th OA imo.

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
This is a tough call. I'm surprised at how much time I've had to think about it.

Ultimately, I think there are enough good players in Round 2 and the players in the 3rd tier (after Laf, Stutzle/Byfield) are good enough and have enough upside to justify keeping the picks.

It's a difficult decision because we already have a very deep prospect pool, and we can only put 18 skaters on the ice.

Yes, you can stagger their entrance into the league as much as you can, but it's easier when they aren't all drafted in the same year.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Wont let me change my vote accidentally voted Yes. Count me as a no, I think Drysdale if available is in the same tier as Stutzle and Byfield so if he is a possibility at 5 I dont want to make any moves.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Brannstrom might be expendable to another GM. Not to our current one. IMO.

Good point.

I'd trade the 3rd OA pick & Brannstrom for the 2nd OA just to get Byfield instead of Stutzle. That's not to say that I don't think Stutzle will be a great player & potentially a better scorer than Byfield. I just think that Byfield will be a dominating force at some point in the future & be able to do a lot more things better.

Than grab Sanderson at 5th OA & look to make another trade to acquire Askarov around 9th. I think NJ will grab Askarov at 10th given what is going on with Schneider & their goalie problems. Coming away from this draft with Byfield, Sanderson & Askarov would be amazing for this franchise. However, as you pointed out with this GM chances are slim that will happen.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Wont let me change my vote accidentally voted Yes. Count me as a no, I think Drysdale if available is in the same tier as Stutzle and Byfield so if he is a possibility at 5 I dont want to make any moves.
I don't buy it but I hope Rob Blake does and picks Drysdale at 2 and Yzerman picks Sanderson at 4, leaving the good ol' Sens with Byfield and Stutzle. Man what a twist that would be.

Unlikely - because I don't see a GM put Drysdale on the same tier as Byfield and Stutzle.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I don't buy it but I hope Rob Blake does and picks Drysdale at 2 and Yzerman picks Sanderson at 4, leaving the good ol' Sens with Byfield and Stutzle. Man what a twist that would be.

Unlikely - because I don't see a GM put Drysdale on the same tier as Byfield and Stutzle.
I am not trying to sell it. Drysdale has outplayed Byfield at pretty much every single international competition in which theyve been teamates. He has been captain of that age group and had an incredible season.

Seems like people around here just refuse to acknowledge how good he is for some strange reason.

Watch this video, may show you a little more about Drysdale. His skating is flat out phenomenal. So is his hockey IQ.

Reactions: armani

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Good point.

I'd trade the 3rd OA pick & Brannstrom for the 2nd OA just to get Byfield instead of Stutzle. That's not to say that I don't think Stutzle will be a great player & potentially a better scorer than Byfield. I just think that Byfield will be a dominating force at some point in the future & be able to do a lot more things better.

Than grab Sanderson at 5th OA & look to make another trade to acquire Askarov around 9th. I think NJ will grab Askarov at 10th given what is going on with Schneider & their goalie problems. Coming away from this draft with Byfield, Sanderson & Askarov would be amazing for this franchise. However, as you pointed out with this GM chances are slim that will happen.

That's a move that could REALLY backfire on you.

For starters, it's not clear who the better guy is at 2. Secondly Brannstrom might very well establish himself as a legit top 4 guy.

Being wrong on the better player and throwing away a top 4 in the process....that's career damaging

I think the safest play is to let the 3 and 5 chips fall where they may and then look at creative opportunities with the Isles pick

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
I am not trying to sell it. Drysdale has outplayed Byfield at pretty much every single international competition in which theyve been teamates. He has been captain of that age group and had an incredible season.

Seems like people around here just refuse to acknowledge how good he is for some strange reason.

Watch this video, may show you a little more about Drysdale. His skating is flat out phenomenal. So is his hockey IQ.

Seen. I understand it's your own opinion - I just don't see any list (scouting or internet) putting Drysdale on the same echelon. 2 out of 10 the scouts in Bob's list also saw Sanderson being preferred to Drysdale.

I would be FURIOUS if they picked Drysdale with #3. Would you be ok with that?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad