Poll: Are you willing to pay to move from #5 to #2?

Would you trade #5 and our 4 2nds to move up to #2

• Total voters

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
What about moving #3 + L. Brown +NYI 1st plus something else to go from 3 to 1?

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Asanine ? What do you think a team would give us for White and his cap hit ? What draft pick do you think a team would give us ? We can absolutely can shed salary, we just need to be compliant close to the start of the season.
the Senators are far below the cap floor. They need to spend the money so why not keep White around to see if he can get his game back.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
That's a move that could REALLY backfire on you.

For starters, it's not clear who the better guy is at 2. Secondly Brannstrom might very well establish himself as a legit top 4 guy.

Being wrong on the better player and throwing away a top 4 in the process....that's career damaging

I think the safest play is to let the 3 and 5 chips fall where they may and then look at creative opportunities with the Isles pick

I don't think so, I don't think a team can go wrong with Byfield who has already proven he is more than just big, he's very skilled, can score on his own or set up teammates & do a lot of things well. I'm quite sure Stutzle will also become a very good player & maybe outscore Byfield in the beginning. But I wouldn't ignore Byfield's size & skill package especially given Ottawa could dominate at centre with two big centremen.

I'm not a fan of Brannstrom at all & think replacing him with Sanderson would be much better for Ottawa in the long run. The Stone trade to me was a terrible deal with a bad return, I just don't get the hype around Brannstrom. Would much rather have Byfield & Sanderson than Stutzle & Brannstrom.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
If Ottawa drafts Sanderson or Guhle IMO that makes Brannstrom expendable. It's not a lot to me, it's moving a player that we replaced with a better player for another good player.

White was a 1st rd pick & you want to give him away for a 2nd rder plus the 5th OA? Does that make sense to you or did you mean something else? White plus the 5th OA should get us NJ's 10th & 17th OA imo.

I like Sanderson and Guhle - I just don’t want to pay two of NYI, LT, Brann, JBD, 33OA to get a guy like Guhle. I think we could get him at 15 or even 33.

The 5OA plus White was a sarcastic comment about what other GM’s would offer us for 5OA plus White.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I like Sanderson and Guhle - I just don’t want to pay two of NYI, LT, Brann, JBD, 33OA to get a guy like Guhle. I think we could get him at 15 or even 33.

The 5OA plus White was a sarcastic comment about what other GM’s would offer us for 5OA plus White.
If Ottawa takes Sanderson at 5OA they won't need Guhle & could look to draft a RD as a partner for Sanderson. If they miss out on Sanderson they might be able to draft Guhle at #21 or move up a little bit from there to get him at a much cheaper cost & look to add a RD partner for him at #33. I'm hoping they get one of Sanderson or Guhle which IMO should push Brannstrom out the door. If they decide on Drysdale at 5th OA than I would still try to draft Guhle at #21 or move up a little to get him as a partner for Drysdale.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
If Ottawa takes Sanderson at 5OA they won't need Guhle & could look to draft a RD as a partner for Sanderson. If they miss out on Sanderson they might be able to draft Guhle at #21 or move up a little bit from there to get him at a much cheaper cost & look to add a RD partner for him at #33. I'm hoping they get one of Sanderson or Guhle which IMO should push Brannstrom out the door. If they decide on Drysdale at 5th OA than I would still try to draft Guhle at #21 or move up a little to get him as a partner for Drysdale.

Sure - but Guhle could also be available at 33 ... or Baron ... or Schneider . My point Is I don’t want to throw away two assets like Brannstrom for one . Mostly because I’m not even sure Guhle will be better than Brann let alone worth two of a Brann. I like both Brann and Guhle.

Not to mention I hate UFA’s for this franchise and want a pipeline of prospects available to this org. I’m not worried about 6 dman , I want 12 dman prospects.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Sure - but Guhle could also be available at 33 ... or Baron ... or Schneider . My point Is I don’t want to throw away two assets like Brannstrom for one . Mostly because I’m not even sure Guhle will be better than Brann let alone worth two of a Brann. I like both Brann and Guhle.

Not to mention I hate UFA’s for this franchise and want a pipeline of prospects available to this org. I’m not worried about 6 dman , I want 12 dman prospects.
Yet you were prepared to give up two pretty big assets to get rid of White. You want to get rid of White as much as I want to get rid of Brannstrom. Brannstrom & our 3rd OA for Byfield is a much better deal than your deal to get rid of White & Ottawa would still have the 5th & 21st picks.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Yet you were prepared to give up two pretty big assets to get rid of White. You want to get rid of White as much as I want to get rid of Brannstrom. Brannstrom & our 3rd OA for Byfield is a much better deal than your deal to get rid of White & Ottawa would still have the 5th & 21st picks.

okay .. fair enough .. My biggest issue with White is the contract ... I see him as project like Brown , Norris and co.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
A lot of Ottawa Senator fans covet second round picks..... I think there would be an avalanche of negativity dumped on PD if he traded all the second rounders, disregardless if it meant acquiring the SOA ...... who remembers when former Senators second round pick Jonathan Dahlen was traded away ..... it was like the end of the world for some people.

So I would vote no.

It was not the trading of Dahlen that was critiqued; it was the return for him that many felt was not worth it at that point in time.

Reactions: DueDiligence

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
It was not the trading of Dahlen that was critiqued; it was the return for him that many felt was not worth it at that point in time.

Many felt that Jonathan Dahlen was the second coming of Alfie, and hammered PD for letting him go.

He's yet to play a shift in the NHL, and doubt he ever will.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Many felt that Jonathan Dahlen was the second coming of Alfie, and hammered PD for letting him go.

He's yet to play a shift in the NHL, and doubt he ever will.

I think the “second coming of Alfie” is an overstatement, but many felt he had good potential, including me. But I did not like the trade.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Change it to #5 + L. Brown + NYI 1st for the 1st Overall.

Honestly, I don't want to do that, either.

Laf is a really nice player, but he isn't the next Crosby or Matthews. And I really want to see what Logan can do with a few months in the NHL (hopefully) next season. The kid might bust, but we've put so much development time into him already, I'd hate for another team to be the beneficiaries of that (is that the gamblers fallacy?)

Let's just take who we take at 3 and 5. Chances are we'll have another good crack at #1 in 2021 anyways.

Reactions: Sweatred and Cosmix

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I think it would take NYI first

either way if we can get Byfield and Stuztle I would trade away any of the other picks

Reactions: Cosmix and aragorn

Oriole

Dec 28, 2018
I wonder if the Kings would be willing to move on the #2 pick. They really need help on defence. Maybe Dorion can offer them #5 and Brannstrom along with an early second rounder to get 2nd and 3rd. We could then select both Byfield and Stutzle. The Kings could take Drysdale at #5 and have Brannstrom to go along with him. They are well on their way to rebuilding that part of their roster.

Reactions: Cosmix and aragorn

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Honestly, I don't want to do that, either.

Laf is a really nice player, but he isn't the next Crosby or Matthews. And I really want to see what Logan can do with a few months in the NHL (hopefully) next season. The kid might bust, but we've put so much development time into him already, I'd hate for another team to be the beneficiaries of that (is that the gamblers fallacy?)

Let's just take who we take at 3 and 5. Chances are we'll have another good crack at #1 in 2021 anyways.

Getting Lafreniere would be better than having L. Brown, the 5th pick (Drysdale/Perfetti/Raymond/Rossi) and whoever might be available at the NYI pick.

Last edited:

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
I'd try to move up the NYI pick if there's someone they absolutely love but there's no point in moving 5 to 2; when in reality 1,2,3 are pretty much set.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->