Pokemon Thread #24 - UltraPokemon UltraThread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
So... I kept closing the game, hoping for a good Charmander nature. I got a Jolly one. Cool.

I just looked, and Charizard doesn't get Dragon Dance. Wtf...

What kind of base stats did that Jolly nature Charmander have though? Did you judge it? My entire team has 3 star stats (amazing) but some of the natures aren't the best. I feel like getting the base stats is more important than the nature, no?

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Are the best IVs/natures all that important? I don't have time to grind for that stuff for more than a couple of my main Pokemon.

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
Are the best IVs/natures all that important? I don't have time to grind for that stuff for more than a couple of my main Pokemon.
Matters more for the post game stuff and whatever the competitive scene is, but for the main game there is no reason to be worried about it.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Randomly found a shiny Koffing. Didn't have any lures or catch combos or anything.

Which means that its IVs are godawful, but it's neat to beat the odds of randomly finding one

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

Unless you're planning on playing competitively, thankfully not.

I don't think I've ever paid attention to a Pokemon's nature, nor do I even know how to check IVs, and it's never hurt me in the games because I don't play competitively.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
So, I've had the game for about a week now. I managed to get the game+pokeball for about $30 after trading in a few old games I'll never play before.

My overall reaction, is that I really like it. A few musings from a late 20s fan:

- The overworld catching mechanic is much better than I expected. I'm on the fence if I'd like it see this in the new main game next year. It definitely feels refreshing, but I also feel less attached to the pokemon I do catch as when I want a Growlithe, I'm now catching 20+ of them in a row and tossing 19 away.
- I boxed the starter pokemon at the very start of the game, because of how disgustingly overpowered it is, and I wanted at least a bit of a challenge.
- The Pokeball+ feels pretty good. My only complaint is that I often find myself pushing the joystick in a direction as I try to click it resulting in me using the wrong ability or item on the wrong pokemon. It is very likely just an issue with me having giant hands
- Having Pokemon follow you and riding them is awesome, and one of the best features in the game
- Not a big fan of some of the things removed from the game (Game Corner Gambling, Safari Zone mini-game, fishing), as they always felt like a nice mixup at those points in the game when you unlocked them. No access to fishing means you are very limited in having water-type pokemon in your team until late in the game
- Going to have to buy Nintendo online to complete the game, as I don't know anyone who bought the game in real life.

I'm 4/8 badges in and so far I'd give the game an 8.5/10. Really solid remake.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
God damn they really gutted the movepool in this.

Most stat boosting moves that aren't get 1 are gone; Rock Polish, Dragon Dance, stuff like that. Shell Smash seems to be the only one that survived from what i can tell.

All weather setting moves are gone

Stealth rock is here, but anything to clear it (Rapid Spin, Defog) aren't. I get that it wasn't meant to be a competitive type game but man that's a huge oversight.

I'm probably still gonna build a team to see how online is but the pickings are slim. lol.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Well, I beat the Elite 4 and got a chance to do some shiny hunting. First choice was the Ponyta, because blue flames is pretty lit. And the lavender Rapidash isn't too shabby either.

Dunno who to go after next. Most of them are either a worse color scheme or barely noticeable from the original. Maybe Horsea?

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
I don't like that traded pokemon gain XP faster then regular ones. I was using Alohan Sandslash in my party, but it was outlevelling everyone else by 5-6 levels just by passively gaining XP from battles/catching. It kills my OCD to not have everyone in my party in the same range, so I had to swap it out.

Tonneau

May 15, 2017
Montreal
I don't know how people have the patience for shiny chaining. I'm off from work tonight, so I thought I'd give it a shot. 122 Zubats in, and I'm so ****ing bored.

After catching 31, you don't get any additional benefit from extending your catch combo. Just run away if you get in an encounter (that won't break the combo).

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
Approximately how long did that take? I tried to get a shiny Nidoran but gave up after an hour. I'm sure I must have seen 50+ after I finished the 31 catch combo.

You can see they are shiny in the overworld, correct?
Your odds are still only ~ 1/300, and even seeing 300 of them there is only ~60% chance (if I remember correctly) that by the time you get to 300 you'll have encountered your shiny. It took me around 3 hours to get my shiny, but it can definitely take a lot longer than that. Generally, I just do shiny hunting as a secondary task so it isn't so tedious. I'll turn the sound down and watch TV or something at the same time, while keeping an eye on the device.

You can see the colour difference in the overworld, and they will have a sparkle aura. It's pretty obvious when one pops up.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Approximately how long did that take? I tried to get a shiny Nidoran but gave up after an hour. I'm sure I must have seen 50+ after I finished the 31 catch combo.

You can see they are shiny in the overworld, correct?

I wasn't keeping track. It took awhile, though. I only did Zubat because there is a free Poke Ball guy in Mt. Moon, and they are easy to catch.

And yeah, you can see them in the overworld.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
The problem with Shiny hunting is there's no guarantee you'll find the shiny you want.

Went hunting for a shiny Bulbasaur, got the 31 catches, everything set up. But quickly realized the odds that I find a shiny Bulbasaur are far lower than the odds that a shiny Caterpie/Weedle/Bellsprout/Pikachu/etc show up instead.

Realized I didn't have the patience for it and simply used the chain to catch a high potential Dragonite instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad