Player Discussion Podkolzin (PbK) Thread Part 5

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
we all know he will be brought along slowly, unlike with Bragin we know that its in the organisation's best interests to see that he reaches his potential within a set window. be patient, dont expect calder chatter until final quarter of the season.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
In no way can I be convinced that Boeser sitting out a few games hurt his development. I could just as easily say it made him more hungry. But I also don't have a way to measure this. Today Boeser is a much better two way player than he was when he came into the league.

And Podkolzin was up to almost 10min on Saturday. I suspect that's where they will keep him for now. By the quarter mark he'll probably be at 12 min.

I'm not saying that it hurt his development it was just a shitty thing to do by Green who always has to ahve someone in his doghouse for some weird reason.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I'm not saying that it hurt his development it was just a shitty thing to do by Green who always has to ahve someone in his doghouse for some weird reason.
I've played for many coaches who play mind games. At the end of the day it didn't make me like them. But it made me play a whole lot better to prove them wrong. Soft gloves don't help anyone.

GranvilleIsland

Feb 26, 2013
Vancouver, B.C.
Didn't see a topic to post in.

Can they just send him down if they aren't going to play him? He needs to work on his foot speed and the time it takes to make a decision with the puck IMO. But I've seen some nice plays from him early on, until he gets stapled to the bench.

Podkolzin has lost a lot of development time already due to playing time. But Canucks are awful at developing players that aren't already good hockey players or have enough skill to overcome Ryan Johnson's development plan.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
This is the problem when a coach is still coaching for his job. Guys like Dowling, Chiasson and Highmore are in the lineup, while their best prospect sits, even after scoring his first goal in Philly.

I guess the coach has some warped idea that playing his plugs somehow gives them a better chance to win....or maybe having sat Podkolzin for a game and come out of it with a win, he's superstitious about changing the lineup. With Green who knows?

But it burns my butt that somehow a 31 year-old PTO like Chiasson, who wasn't even signed until after the season started, is somehow a better option up-front than Podkolzin.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I’m not sure how he’s going to get better positionally by watching. Practice time can only help so much. He already played limited minutes in the KHL. The kid needs ice time during these crucial development years.

Either play him or send him to the AHL and call up some vet PK’er to keep Green happy.

Reactions: Dr Good Vibes

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Seems I have a slightly different take on Podkolzin's deployment than most here. I believe they had a plan out of the gate to ease him onto the NHL roster. Unless his preseason was a disaster he was always going to "make the team". Having done that, the coaching staff implemented the next step of the ease in program by testing him in real games, first at 6 min, then at 9 minutes. Then, with the inevitable ups and downs in the first few games, it was time to watch a couple of games from upstairs to see the plays develop from a different perspective. This isn't unlike the Boeser treatment. I suspect by the 20 game mark he will be a staple on the 3rd line with some stints in the top 6. That is, unless his play dictates that he isn't ready for that.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Seems I have a slightly different take on Podkolzin's deployment than most here. I believe they had a plan out of the gate to ease him onto the NHL roster. Unless his preseason was a disaster he was always going to "make the team". Having done that, the coaching staff implemented the next step of the ease in program by testing him in real games, first at 6 min, then at 9 minutes. Then, with the inevitable ups and downs in the first few games, it was time to watch a couple of games from upstairs to see the plays develop from a different perspective. This isn't unlike the Boeser treatment. I suspect by the 20 game mark he will be a staple on the 3rd line with some stints in the top 6. That is, unless his play dictates that he isn't ready for that.
Agreed,...I don't think he's going to learn a whole in the AHL...other than to get his fitness up...His skating is better since the beginning of training camp, he's got a good release on his shot, and he has some physicality....Positioning is where he needs coaching.

On the other hand, they cant have him sitting in the press box..He's only going to learn by playing at the NHL level.

Reactions: Johnathon Tanner

Blob

Aug 22, 2007

I agree with you. This looks fine to me. Podkolzin will be full-time in the line-up this year unless he craters. I don't see that happening.

Angry Little Elf

My wife came back
Apr 9, 2012
Victoria B.C.

agree with this. Boeser sat in the pressbox a lot during his rookie season too.

Reactions: iceburg

JimmyJiveJones

Jan 28, 2019
Boeser sat alot? I thought Green didnt put him in the season opener AND the 2nd game then he played the 3rdd game and started scoring instantly. People bitched that he would neck and neck for the rookie scoring race if he played those 2 games

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
Agreed,...I don't think he's going to learn a whole in the AHL...other than to get his fitness up...His skating is better since the beginning of training camp, he's got a good release on his shot, and he has some physicality....Positioning is where he needs coaching.

On the other hand, they cant have him sitting in the press box..He's only going to learn by playing at the NHL level.
Because we all know the AHL is far super to the KHL right.

if sending people to the AHL fixes d and teaches the proper way to play we better send Green and Baumer asap

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Did he miss some defensive assignments or give the puck away or drive over Travis Greens pet boa constrictor wtf TG

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Boeser succeeded in spite of how Green treated him out of preseason in his rookie year by not playing him until the 3rd game for no particularly good reason.

As for Podkolzin 8:08 of ice time isn't development, hopefully they send him down after Boeser comes back to re can actually play and develop.

Brock is back. They sent down Petan.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Guess Green does not change line after a win? Dowling seems like a sit down candidate to me. I do not mind Chaisson on 4th with OP role. However Dowling on pp and 4th while Podz sits is a bit much.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010
Dowling is a 31 year old AHL plug. No different than your Chaput, Megna. Guy would not have gotten pick up on waivers but we prefer to wave players that other teams actually find value.

Reactions: cc

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015
Don't see any reason why he should sit for Chiasson besides Green being a conservative idiot

Laminko also looked very poor last night

Would be nice to have a young, playmaking rookie that could play up with Miller and Boeser instead of Dowling

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Don't see any reason why he should sit for Chiasson besides Green being a conservative idiot

Laminko also looked very poor last night

Would be nice to have a young, playmaking rookie that could play up with Miller and Boeser instead of Dowling

If we only had a prospect like that in our system....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad