Player Discussion Podkolzin (PbK) Thread Part 5

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Last thread was WAY over 1000 posts so lets continue the Podz love. Here are the KEY posts from the LAST Podz thread, after the link to last one and previous ones

Confirmed with Link: - Canucks sign F Vasili Podkolzin to ELC
Prospect Info: - Vasili Podkolzin Pt. IIII
Prospect Info: - Vasili Podkolzin, Pt. III
Prospect Info: - Vasili Podkolzin, Pt. II
Prospect Info: - Vasili Podkolzin
Prospect Info: - 10th overall: Vancouver selects Vasili Podkolzin (RW, SKA St. Petersburg)

i like how you used three stacked negatives to say that.
It’s in the blood.
You’re right. Toronto needs more Mitch Marners. As many as they can fit on their roster. Instant Cup.
Why would you wanna trade miller?
Thanks, dad.
I ran out of tears from Loui Ericsson
Which part are you Lolol'ing at?

Pettersson has the right skillset to score 50 goals. Is that what you are disagreeing with?
Big gloves!

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
I'd say he's earned his 9 games at least. Clearly has high level skills and a crazy motor, just needs some time to adjust to NHL pace.

That move he pulled vs. Seattle was insane, looked like Malkin in his prime. That alone is enough for me to justify giving him a spot.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
He's a lock to start the season with the big club at this point. Roster spot was his to lose, and the improvement he's shown game to game cements it.

Looks okay with Miller, but I'd like to see him beside EP for the final preseason game.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Apparently, before the Seattle game, Green told Podz to go out there, skate, and not worry about the rest (positioning)..It obviously liberated the kid...Thats one thing I like about Green, he doesn't stifle creative players.

Reactions: Johnathon Tanner

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Considering he's more of the hard-working, nose to the grindstone type guys (rather than a soft, flashy , perimeter player), i think he should 100% get a crack with the big club to start the season. Because hard working players get better ... and better...and work hard to improve... Its already showing through this preseason. Soft players who dont work as hard to me seem more likely to give up if things dont click for them right away. Podz is the type of guy YOU commit to as a Coach.. you give him slack and give him a chance to get better.
I think that by like game 30 of the regular season he'll be a VERY different player... Espeically if he gets some time playing with Petey as the 1LW or Jt. Miller as winger with him. Both Petey and Miller have lots he can learn from

Reactions: Steamer and MarkMM

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I'd say he's earned his 9 games at least. Clearly has high level skills and a crazy motor, just needs some time to adjust to NHL pace.

That move he pulled vs. Seattle was insane, looked like Malkin in his prime. That alone is enough for me to justify giving him a spot.

9 games have no impact on this player.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
A lot of young players need more time because they fall into two broad categories. They've been top-six scoring forwards for their entire amateur careers, but can't adjust to the defensive responsibilities required of all forwards in the NHL. Or they're bottom of the roster guys who need to go to the minors to work on things--usually skating and positioning.

But with Podkolzin, the good thing is that he can play up and down the lineup and be effective. Green could just as easily use him on the third and fourth lines, and he'd be better than anyone they currently have in that role.

Will be really interesting to see where he is at by the 10-game mark.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It's laudable that Green doesn't 'stifle' creative players. But when your team is consistently in the bottom 10 teams in the league in virtually every defensive category that matters year after year, then maybe a little more 'stifling' is what this team needs from behind the bench.

Reactions: Nucker101

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
Without even getting into Green and his "system", Pod is not NHL ready imo.

I fear they'll try and throw him into this years team anyway when he needs to build confidence and tune up his game.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Without even getting into Green and his "system", Pod is not NHL ready imo.

I fear they'll try and throw him into this years team anyway when he needs to build confidence and tune up his game.
On a top NHL team, you might be right about Podkolzin not being ready. But the Canucks completely revamped their bottom-six forwards this off-season and still ended up signing a collection of journeymen who've been fighting for a sport.

So the bar is set so low, that Podkolzin makes it almost by default. Would you prefer to see Podkolzin farmed out at the expense of the likes of Di Guiseppe, Highmore, Chiasson, Dowling, Petan, MacEwen etc...etc.?

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad