Player Discussion Podkolzin (PbK) Thread Part 5

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Pod can be a useful player anywhere in the lineup. I wouldnt be surprised if we see him on the PK in Nov. Offensively I dont think he will get more then 30 points but I think he will be a staple on Bo or Millers lines.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Steamer

Jul 12, 2009
In the nosebleeds
Considering he's more of the hard-working, nose to the grindstone type guys (rather than a soft, flashy , perimeter player), i think he should 100% get a crack with the big club to start the season. Because hard working players get better ... and better...and work hard to improve... Its already showing through this preseason. Soft players who dont work as hard to me seem more likely to give up if things dont click for them right away. Podz is the type of guy YOU commit to as a Coach.. you give him slack and give him a chance to get better.
I think that by like game 30 of the regular season he'll be a VERY different player... Espeically if he gets some time playing with Petey as the 1LW or Jt. Miller as winger with him. Both Petey and Miller have lots he can learn from
I agree I think by 30 games he will be creeping into Calder mentions if he is brought along well. Podz could be as bigger a steal in the draft than Boeser, Hughes and Petey were.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Steamer

Jul 12, 2009
In the nosebleeds
He is a player who has spent parts of two seasons in the KHL, he has played against men. He is super competitive and everything indicates he is a quick learner and adaptor. I doubt he stays on the 3rd or 4th line long this season. He seems like a locomotive that is rearing to go and just needs the right guidance to allow him to quickly make his presence known in the league. I think he should be given lots of time on the top two lines to start the season.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
He is a player who has spent parts of two seasons in the KHL, he has played against men. He is super competitive and everything indicates he is a quick learner and adaptor. I doubt he stays on the 3rd or 4th line long this season. He seems like a locomotive that is rearing to go and just needs the right guidance to allow him to quickly make his presence known in the league. I think he should be given lots of time on the top two lines to start the season.

I think before he can take the step as a top 6 forward he’ll need to improve his skating.

lennor

Oct 15, 2019
Not exactly Pod hockey talk but I hope someone on the team is inviting Pod and his wife to thanksgiving dinner at their home. Would be nice.
They are definitely alienating pod and his wife because they don’t speak great English. He will be on the next plane to mother Russia before pumpkin pie.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
They are definitely alienating pod and his wife because they don’t speak great English. He will be on the next plane to mother Russia before pumpkin pie.
Tryamkin is DM'ing Pod as we speak. We might not make it to the turkey.

Ottobot

Aug 9, 2020
I like his playmaking quite a bit. Whatever line he’s on, if there’s someone who has some finish or can redirect while in front I think he’ll be alright.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
I agree I think by 30 games he will be creeping into Calder mentions if he is brought along well. Podz could be as bigger a steal in the draft than Boeser, Hughes and Petey were.

While I like this sentiment, to suggest that he will prove to be a better steal than a Calder winner and 2 other Calder finalists is kind of outrageous. He has a shot at the Calder; being a 20 yr old with seasons of pro experience should give him a better shot than any of the teenagers.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
lol has a player been given a tougher route for career progression than Podkolzin? Poor kid went from a few mins a game in various Russian leagues, few pro games... left for the NHL and now has Green and 7 mins/night.

If this kid gets 10/10 this year I would call that remarkable.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Travis Green needs to be fired out of a cannon for his treatment of Podkolzin. Dowling, Chaisson, and Pearson continue to get heavy minutes while Podkolzin can't even gain momentum after scoring his first NHL goal. Green also pointed fingers at Pods for the too many men penalty in game one, when realistically the too many men penalty has been a problem on this team for a few seasons now. Green should be the one who the fingers are pointed at. The Travis Green project is getting old really quick, he is just another amateur coach who is very similar to Willie D. Would love to see a new veteran coach brought in, one who doesn't hate rookies. Benching Pods after scoring his first goal in the NHL is a complete joke, and I really wish Green would take a hike. This team could surprise the league, especially with someone behind the bench who actually knows what they're doing.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Podkolzin is barely 20 years old and has played 2 games in the NHL. Green's "treatment" of Podkolzin is just fine and appropriate IMO. In anything, but especially (I imagine) in highest level pro sports, a big part of transitioning to that higher level is about gaining confidence. Gaining confidence comes through having success. Sure a lot of the learning will come through trying and initially failing but that has to be managed so as to not create potentially irreversible damage. I'm sure Podkolzin came away from that game feeling absolutely great about himself. If he had been on the ice for a Flyers GWG ,maybe not so much.

Reactions: sting101

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Podkolzin is barely 20 years old and has played 2 games in the NHL. Green's "treatment" of Podkolzin is just fine and appropriate IMO. In anything, but especially (I imagine) in highest level pro sports, a big part of transitioning to that higher level is about gaining confidence. Gaining confidence comes through having success. Sure a lot of the learning will come through trying and initially failing but that has to be managed so as to not create potentially irreversible damage. I'm sure Podkolzin came away from that game feeling absolutely great about himself. If he had been on the ice for a Flyers GWG ,maybe not so much.

IMO, you gain confidence with increased ice time, a longer leash, and being placed in positions to succeed. If the coach doesn't have confidence in you, it's harder to have confidence in yourself

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
IMO, you gain confidence with increased ice time, a longer leash, and being placed in positions to succeed
Absolutely. Over time. It's not about failing. It's about not failing so much that one turns into a quivering ball of goo.

I'm just a little surprised (maybe not really) at the overreaction after 2 games.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Absolutely. Over time. It's not about failing. It's about not failing so much that one turns into a quivering ball of goo.

I'm just a little surprised (maybe not really) at the overreaction after 2 games.

I just thought it a little odd that scoring a goal didn't even earn him a minute more of ice time than the previous game and he was effectively benched for the third period as if he had committed some egregious mistake. I've concluded that Green possesses an inherent distrust of younger players and their ability to defend leads. I suspect that younger players in his mind, need to prove themselves more than older players to earn his trust which isn't really that unusual among coaches but it's disappointing for fans who care more about developing a promising young rookie properly over wins and losses.

However, it's true that it's still very early in the season so there's no need to overreact. I take some solace in the fact that Pod is used to this treatment from coaches so he'll probably develop fine regardless. It will be interesting to see how long it will take for Pod to earn his trust.

Pacific Canuck

Oct 26, 2017
His goal was a great shot top shelf. Kid can shoot. Once Boeser is back, it will be interesting to see how Green deploys Podkolzin. Podz isnt your typical rookie as he has played several years in the KHL. I think he will stick on the team for the year. IMO, Another great pick by GMJB.

Ottobot

Aug 9, 2020
Despite the snipe which was great to see, he’s a playmaker first. Put him with one of Petey, Boeser, Horvat or Miller and he’s going to shine.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
IMO, you gain confidence with increased ice time, a longer leash, and being placed in positions to succeed. If the coach doesn't have confidence in you, it's harder to have confidence in yourself

Hes a Russian, playing on different sized ice for the first time. Giving him sheltered minutes for the first bit of his rookie season is perfectly reasonable and what any good coach would do.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
His shot looked like a muffin in the KHL. He really improved it over the summer I was thinking that it could be one of his weaknesses now it might possibly be a strength. Let's hope he can improve his skating next.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I just thought it a little odd that scoring a goal didn't even earn him a minute more of ice time than the previous game and he was effectively benched for the third period as if he had committed some egregious mistake. I've concluded that Green possesses an inherent distrust of younger players and their ability to defend leads. I suspect that younger players in his mind, need to prove themselves more than older players to earn his trust which isn't really that unusual among coaches but it's disappointing for fans who care more about developing a promising young rookie properly over wins and losses.

However, it's true that it's still very early in the season so there's no need to overreact. I take some solace in the fact that Pod is used to this treatment from coaches so he'll probably develop fine regardless. It will be interesting to see how long it will take for Pod to earn his trust.

I pretty much agree with you on young players who aren't superstars - Green defaults to veterans. It's frustrating when those veterans don't appear to be better options than the younger players.

Superstars in the making like Boeser, Hughes and Pettersson get opportunities pretty quickly though Hughes wasn't on the PP at first and Boeser sat out one game. I'm curious about what Podkolzin's deployment will be after 10 games.

All that said, I do give Green some credit for knowing what he's doing having been there as a player and having to adjust his game to get to and stay in the NHL.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad