Player Discussion Podkolzin (PbK) Thread Part 5

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Best thing is to leave him in Abbotsford for at least half the season. Scoring goals is 'fun' and if he keeps it up, his confidence will be soaring.

In a way, it's too bad that he and Hoglander spent so much time in Vancouver in their rookie seasons, where the coaching carousel and all the losing took its toll.

If both guys had been simply sent to the AHL to start with--they'd be farther further ahead by now.

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009
I've not given up on Pod. There is a player there if he remembers he's supposed to play, not think. It's easy to imagine that he's under an insane amount of pressure. Early twenties, white, male, Russian, ESL, unestablished career, living in a foreign country that is effectively at war with your homeland; all while trying to provide for his wife and newborn child. If he or his wife are at all religious then he'll have really ticked all the boxes for social pariah status. A single guy playing for the local beloved sports team chasing his dream is one thing. A 22yr old newlywed with a child NEEDS this to work. I hope we're patient with him.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam

When has Pod ever flashed such savviness to find a soft spot in the middle and absolutely snipe it? Kid has the ability but seems like it’s confidence in the NHL level. Keep it up

He looked shocked that it went in tbh. Needs to stay down there until he dominates with conviction.

Feb 19, 2018
Major injury tonight and it sounds bad. Was boarded from behind and after a few seconds started convulsing so it’s definitely a head injury.

Hope the best for Podz and a speedy recovery, he was playing great this year.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Am also curious how he's playing since coming back from injury. Anyone watching Abbotsford games that can weigh in on how he looks?
He was point per game coming back for the first 3 games after that I gave up on tracking it since life is quite busy for me and the ahl website sucks ass.

Reactions: Sonny A

Sonny A

Feb 6, 2023
He was point per game coming back for the first 3 games after that I gave up on tracking it since life is quite busy for me and the ahl website sucks ass.
Thank you lawrence. I see there is a game tonight. I'm on the east coast but I'll see if I can find a way to watch.

Really like Podz and want to see him do well. Just curious to see how he's looking with all the playing time he's been getting. Really want to see him back with the big club!

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Thank you lawrence. I see there is a game tonight. I'm on the east coast but I'll see if I can find a way to watch.

Really like Podz and want to see him do well. Just curious to see how he's looking with all the playing time he's been getting. Really want to see him back with the big club!
He is.

He’s also a former 1st rounder so he needs to succeed or else it sucks to see a 1st round pick not turn out.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Am also curious how he's playing since coming back from injury. Anyone watching Abbotsford games that can weigh in on how he looks?

He was doing really well before the concussion. First few games back were weak and tentative but he had a terrific B2B against Laval about 10 days ago. Games against Coachella this weekend weren’t quite as good but overall he looks much more confident and consistently dangerous than last year.

SOG/GP is basically doubled from last year.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
I'm cautiously optimistic with Pod, will need to be patient with him though.

In hindsight aside from being picked too high, his development path dating back to Russia has been far from ideal with a carousel of different coaches. I think having some consistency with Colliton and co developing him to play Canucks style hockey before making the jump will pay dividends.

While it's unlikely he'll become a top of the lineup player, I still think he'll become a useful player for us. Look at how useful Dakota Joshua has been for us right now after an inconsistent start to the season. I suspect Podkolzin can become a 20g/20a player that can use his size and power to provide value on the defensive side and down low.

I have to be optimistic as I firmly believe the development of some these prospects (Willander, Lekkerimaki, Raty, Pod) to become NHL contributers will make or break whether our group can take a step from playoff team to contender.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Just like Hoglander he will grow his game for awhile and then hit the ground running in Vancouver. Important player going forward.

While it's a tad disappointing he isn't a play driver and impact guy offensively from the 10 spot in the draft he has the type of complimentary hard nosed game, strength in possession and net drives that will be a big factor as he matures. Shot is a weapon as well.

He is what we covet for rounding our lineup going forward and he's now on a path where his cap hit may/should become value added when he breaks out

They are doing the right thing letting him marinate and growing his confidence

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
I cant help but think that the hard nosed style, in your face, puck chasing style of play would be so much better served if he were just a step or two faster. This and some confidence would take him REAL far in terms of like being an nhl regular

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Just like Hoglander he will grow his game for awhile and then hit the ground running in Vancouver. Important player going forward.

While it's a tad disappointing he isn't a play driver and impact guy offensively from the 10 spot in the draft he has the type of complimentary hard nosed game, strength in possession and net drives that will be a big factor as he matures. Shot is a weapon as well.

He is what we covet for rounding our lineup going forward and he's now on a path where his cap hit may/should become value added when he breaks out

They are doing the right thing letting him marinate and growing his confidence
Hoglander is ranked 11th in the 2019 draft for number of NHL points, and Podkolzin is 19th.

If you ignore which one was picked 10th and which one was picked 40th… the Canucks are doing okay from that draft.

Podkolzin is also half a year younger and has played 50 fewer NHL games than Hoglander. If you consider how far Hoglander has come in that time—I’m holding out a little hope that Podkolzin can still make a solid step towards being an impact player.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
It's all about perspective with Podkolzin. If your hoping he's going to be a first line winger that drives the play, then you're probably going to be disappointed. If you're looking at a possible great 3rd liner who plays aggressive and can chip in occasionally offensively then you might be content.
I see Pods as a top end 2nd liner at Best, but more likely a very good 3rd liner. I am no longer disappointed that he was the 10th overall pick "It's a crap shoot anyways" but hopeful that he can contribute soon to the core we already have.

He's 22 already, but hey I'm rooting for the kid. I think he has a future in the NHL. We just have to be patient.

Reactions: bh53

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
From the beginning everyone says he's an NHL player. His floor is really high, I am disappointed that he lacks offensive instinct. It's funny how I view Willander is kind of how I view Pod, in that he has a rare skillset that the team will definitely need down the road. If he chips in solid offense, its going to be a luxury, his game requires a lot of time to develop. I look at Byfield and I hope his heavy game will one day mature.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Hoglander is ranked 11th in the 2019 draft for number of NHL points, and Podkolzin is 19th.

If you ignore which one was picked 10th and which one was picked 40th… the Canucks are doing okay from that draft.

Podkolzin is also half a year younger and has played 50 fewer NHL games than Hoglander. If you consider how far Hoglander has come in that time—I’m holding out a little hope that Podkolzin can still make a solid step towards being an impact player.

I think the Podkolzin pick is always going to be judged by who went after who we reasonably could have picked and the Hoglander pick is always going to be judged by some for how Benning stripped Brackett of his authority and changed the draft list to select Hoglander. :sarcasm:

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
The Podkolzin we saw in his rookie season showed some pretty decent offensive instincts. My first impression was that he looked like more of a playmaking mucker than a goal scorer, but he also showed flashes of his heavy shot and willingness to drive th net. It's disappointing that he fell off last year but I've seen flashes that he can still be a good NHL regular. Especailly with Tocchet, I think Pod will find his way into the bottom six and then grow his game from there.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
He was doing really well before the concussion. First few games back were weak and tentative but he had a terrific B2B against Laval about 10 days ago. Games against Coachella this weekend weren’t quite as good but overall he looks much more confident and consistently dangerous than last year.

SOG/GP is basically doubled from last year.

Those SOG numbers are very very encouraging. He's averaging 4 shots per game which are big numbers - at a reasonable shooting percentage that's 35 goals / 82 games. I've felt for a long time that SOG are the most telling stat when it comes to a winger making the NHL. It's one of the few stats we can track at lower levels and indicates the player is getting open and driving to the net.

It's also why I'm bearish on Lekkerimaki despite his improvements. He's averaging just 2 shots / game which are not the numbers you need from him if he's going to make the NHL as a goal scorer. Having a good shot is great but you need to get in position to be able to utilize it and Lekkerimaki is not doing that.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Would a "poor-man Nichushkin" be a realistic expectation and comparison for Podkolzin at this point? That would be a good 3rd liner, or a complimentary winger for the top 2 lines, and a valuable piece going forward.

Reactions: Raistlin

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
I think most knew it would take Pod awhile to reach his potential.

With his style, typical to not break out until around mid-20's.

Give him another year or two, and that's when we should see the player he can really be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad