Player Discussion Podkolzin (PbK) Thread Part 5

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Yes exactly. I’m very much on the keep Podkolzin camp.

I just don’t see how he doesn’t turn out to be at least a 3rd line guy. I mean he’s still 22. Maybe I’m just being hopeful, but he still has the necessary qualities you want out of a bottom 6 NHL’er. I don’t think he’s far away from being that.

A year in the AHL being the #1-3 forward should be good for him. Being put in all situations playing 18-20 minutes a night. Put him on the PP, PK, 3 on 3, 5 on 3, whatever it is. He’s been playing 10 minutes a night pretty much ever since he’s been 17 years old. He’s gone through 4-5 different coaches dating back to Russia. Too much learning and unlearning. I get why he’s super indecisive and scared to make plays. Poor kids been conditioned to play like that or risk getting benched.

I want to see him play. Just let the guy do his thing. Get him used to every single situation there is. Let him give the puck away 10 times if he has to make that 1 play that results in a goal. Obviously I’m exaggerating here, but I’m also kind of serious.

I'm also largely in the camp that it probably makes more sense to just keep him and see if he can get it figured out again, get out of his own head and just play like the "bull in a china shop" Ricky wants him to.

But if something comes up where you can swap a potential Top-9 complementary winger who is desperately struggling to get his game back in order...for say, a potential Top-4D? Or a Center? I do that easy.

It's a bit tough because we really need the sort of player Podkolzin is supposed to be, and briefly showed the potential to become. But we need a lot of things.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I'm also largely in the camp that it probably makes more sense to just keep him and see if he can get it figured out again, get out of his own head and just play like the "bull in a china shop" Ricky wants him to.

But if something comes up where you can swap a potential Top-9 complementary winger who is desperately struggling to get his game back in order...for say, a potential Top-4D? Or a Center? I do that easy.

It's a bit tough because we really need the sort of player Podkolzin is supposed to be, and briefly showed the potential to become. But we need a lot of things.
Yeah for sure, if there’s a trade to be made that easily betters our team and Podkolzin is part of the asking price, you do it. Some are suggesting doing a 1 for 1 trade for an equally struggling player or a player logged behind depth and to me it just doesn’t make sense to do that with someone like Podkolzin. I’m all for moving Hoglander for that kind of trade, just not Podkolzin.

Here’s a guy who has the tools necessary to become a top 9 complimentary player similar to a Jannik Hansen type. He’s got the speed, size, work ethic, and some forechecking ability. You can always work with those types of players. He may not have the overall skating or hands, but he has that north south style attitude that this team desperately lacks. He’s not your smartest player but he’s not totally dumb either. He needs to be instinctive and to stop trying to be a smart player when you’re not that type of player.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Where did this narrative that pod is just in his own head come from?
Based on anything actual or just some excuse someone wrote that got repeated?

The longer you wait the lower his value gets.
Hoglander has way more potential and you sell him too if it gets you an upgrade somewhere more important.

Reactions: credulous

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Where did this narrative that pod is just in his own head come from?
Based on anything actual or just some excuse someone wrote that got repeated?

The longer you wait the lower his value gets.
Hoglander has way more potential and you sell him too if it gets you an upgrade somewhere more important.

From...watching him play.

Thought also backed up by what Tocchet has effectively been saying about him.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Well he made the cap space olympics roster, can't say he made the opening night roster on merit.

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
Definitely doesn't deserve a spot, but they clearly have high hopes for him still. If he can become a middle 6 energy winger who plays with an edge, that would be a fantastic result at this point.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I realize that Podkolzin's recall to the NHL is more about cap gymnastics than performance.

But if he plays, I sure hope he's better than he was in his brief exhibition game appearance.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
We should have turned him into a crease clearing defender
I think thats what Myers was signed to do

And he might start thinking about doing it this season or next, so theres that

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
I think thats what Myers was signed to do

And he might start thinking about doing it this season or next, so theres that
You can keep the crease clear to at least some extent by leaving it, or never going there in the first place.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Pod appears to be a case of a player a team desperately needs but just can’t figure it out.

And he’s so far removed from his draft year, his value around the league cannot be high.

So the team keeps him hoping he figures it out.

He plods along for a couple more years, doesn’t figure it out, and then becomes waiver fodder.

Someone takes a gamble when he starts to hit his mid 20s.

Finally, after years of hoping, he turns into a decent NHL player but for another team.

It’s going to be very unfortunate because I really want Pod to succeed.

I just don’t think it’s in Van.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Oh wait, he is backeth! To the roster!

Obviously for cap manipulation purposes. But yay for him getting to collect some extra NHL paycheques despite clearly not earning it in camp. :laugh:

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
I'm looking forward to Podz, out of the blue, just killing it. lol. No expectations buddy, just rip it up. That would be such a great story. Who knows, stranger things have happened. Yeah, I know. That's not going to happen.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
I dont want this team to be the team to give up on a power forward too early. but I am quite down on his performance this camp. Even if he didnt rip it up on the scoreboard, I was expecting other aspects of his game to show more promise.

Its up to Colliton now, Pod has to produce in the AHL this year, thats all.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Said it in other thread already
My view on him is exactly the same as Hoglander, I gave up on hope of them becoming an offensive top 6 winger.
He might be able to carve out a grinder career if he’s willing to change his style

Reactions: DFAC

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
that is a weird move for a guy who struggles with decision making at the nhl pace as a winger. i'd focus on making a robot kiss winger out of him for now.

Reactions: Nucker101

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
He needs to read the Power of Habit and work with a sports psychologist. Removing some of the overthinking, creating habits that become instinctual, and playing the game with confidence are all things I think he needs right now.

Reactions: Raistlin

Tonystretcher

Oct 25, 2017
Abby Canucks are likely planning to try Podkolzin as a Centre during the season.

Who could have predicted this?

The way Faber quoted that is misleading. If you listen to the interview it didn’t sound like Colliton was all that interested in trying it. Personally I think it’s for the best, just let him play a straight line power game on the wing and build some confidence. Glad he’s off to a good start.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
that is a weird move for a guy who struggles with decision making at the nhl pace as a winger. i'd focus on making a robot kiss winger out of him for now.
It really isn’t. He’s a good enough skater and he will skate a hell of a lot more in the middle than he will on the wall. Give him the puck. Make him do it. Challenge the kid. I find it refreshing that they are open minded about exploring a players versatility. The Russian kids are interesting because almost every one of them can play their off side be it wing or D. He isnt dumb. He thinks the game well.

I can’t imagine playing the offside. Everything was strong RH. Hockey-D and wing, Baseball throwing and hitting, Golf. I had the versatility and wheels of a Dana Murzyn/Jim Sandlak hybrid just a bit less size and a lot less skill.

Reactions: Jay26

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad