Pochettino Out, Mourinho In

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Mourinho will probably win a trophy for Spurs. He’ll do well there if he can handle some of the personalities. The team is well built for his style.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Read that Spurs wanted Rodgers but when asking Leicester about him they were firmly shut down.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I think short term this helps Tottenham but long term, it could get hairy

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Squad is perfect for Mourinho. Spurs have played slow and boring for over a year now.
Mourinho will probably win a trophy for Spurs. He’ll do well there if he can handle some of the personalities. The team is well built for his style.
You lot are going to have to explain it to me because lo Celso, Kane, Eriksen, Son, Winks, Moura, and perhaps Alli will suffer. His squad will centre around the likes of Ndombele, Wanyama, Dier, and especially Sissoko. He's probably going to make Sissoko captain, a perfect Moaninho type of player.

It lasted a lot longer. Almost six years in charge. Mourinho only needs two years to rip the whole club apart.
Yup, he's going to continue the along the same path where he's going to go after defensive players, not get the results, get fired, and Spurs will be stuck with all this park the bus players which will clash with the forward portion of their squad.
I mean, for a "blow hard", dude's smashed it everywhere he went. It's short term, 2-3 years, but I imagine Levy knows it.
I suggest you're living in the past with him, has attitude and lack of adjustmenst are beyond the past of modern football. There is a reason why everyone is laughing at this hire, he hasn't been able to get any results and even if they randomly win a trophy he's going to be gone in two years. Sure he was a winner, but that winner left a long-time ago...

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Why would he go to Arsenal over staying with Leicester?
Rodgers isn’t the most loyal guy. He will go to a more prestigious club if they show him the money. Arsenal will be desperate after missing Jose especially. Honestly I wouldn’t be shocked if he wound up with y’all.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Rodgers isn’t the most loyal guy. He will go to a more prestigious club if they show him the money. Arsenal will be desperate after missing Jose especially. Honestly I wouldn’t be shocked if he wound up with y’all.
I wouldn’t be happy if we got Rodgers. Especially with Poch and Blanc out there.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

I'm sorry, they are tired of demands and are now going to play for Mourinho? This is going to end very badly.

That is the most damning tweet I have seen in a very long time. I don't know if Jose is gonna last 2 years before he fizzles out. He might get Spurs to finish something like 3rd next year but by the end they're gonna wish Poch hadn't left

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Arsenal can do better than Rodgers. Poch is a world class manager. But even they can lose the room. The hell the king himself of losing the room just signed with Spurs.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
You lot are going to have to explain it to me because lo Celso, Kane, Eriksen, Son, Winks, Moura, and perhaps Alli will suffer. His squad will centre around the likes of Ndombele, Wanyama, Dier, and especially Sissoko. He's probably going to make Sissoko captain, a perfect Moaninho type of player.
Why would Son and Kane suffer? Both are hard workers that fit his style of play quite well, same with lo Celso. Eriksen is a little more iffy, but Ozil once flourished under Mourinho, too. Alli, Winks and Moura aren't special players and very replaceable so it's not like that's going to be a big deal if they don't adjust to Mourinho.
I suggest you're living in the past with him, has attitude and lack of adjustmenst are beyond the past of modern football. There is a reason why everyone is laughing at this hire, he hasn't been able to get any results and even if they randomly win a trophy he's going to be gone in two years. Sure he was a winner, but that winner left a long-time ago...
This seems revisionist given he wins trophies everywhere he goes, including with a mediocre United squad that he took to 2nd in the PL the season before he was sacked.

I wouldn’t be happy if we got Rodgers. Especially with Poch and Blanc out there.
I think I would take Rodgers over either of those currently, but I'll be happy not to have him go to United or Arsenal. He should stay right where he is with a better team, better project and better owners/upper management.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
It will be hilarious when Arsenal hires Pochettino in February.

This seems revisionist given he wins trophies everywhere he goes, including with a mediocre United squad that he took to 2nd in the PL the season before he was sacked.
I think you're giving him too much credit here, just because Solskjaer is a terrible manager doesn't mean that Mourinho is "amazing". And him taking United to 2nd is when there were no other teams. Perhaps this hire will get Spurs in the top 5, but he isn't going to far. He's been a failure during the last couple of his tenures, he's a dying dinosaur until proven otherwise.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
path where he's going to go after defensive players, not get the results, get fired, and Spurs will be stuck with all this park the bus players which will clash with the forward portion of their squad.

I don't see who's laughing at his hire...? People know he's a 2/3 year solution, not a project-builder for 5-7 years or something.

As for living in the past and him not getting results... I mean, he won 3 trophies with a dire United team and finished 2nd in his 2nd year ahead of Klopp and Poch who were getting bathed in praise by the media. In that 2nd season they had 82 points with their foot off the gas in the last 5-6 rounds, could've easily been a 90 points season if they actually tried in the end (were also in the Cup final, lost to Chelsea). And they beat every other top-6 team in the 2nd half of the season.

He will probably be gone in 2-3 years, that's his MO. But to suggest he doesn't get results is actually just denying the facts.

He got no support from his board (Perisic they passed on because he was "old" -at 28, they declined to go after Manolas and Alderweireld because they were "too similar to Smalling and Jones", Fred was bought basically just to spite City - certainly wasn't a Mou signing, fullbacks were untouched with again Young, injured Shaw, mediocre Darmian, etc... and by "they" I mean Woodward).
Not Pep, not Klopp, not Conte, not Rinus Michels nor Herrera, noone could've gotten more out of that United team with that front office at the helm.

The man is literally defined by winning trophies and being a serial winner. Everywhere he went, he won and got the most out of his teams - for a certain amount of time.

The park the bus meme also irks me. Yes, he parked the bus with United. But his RM team was absolutely astonishing in transition, as were his Porto and Inter squads. His Chelsea squads were quality two-way teams. Only with United (with a very mediocre roster) did he truly commit to some dire football to grind out wins - and apart from the last season, it worked.

Also, I think the time off might done him (Mou) a world of good. He seemed to be much more the sharp-witted yet charming Mou of 2006-2010, than the jaded and sarcastic Mou "I have nussing to say".

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Point is that you can selectively post a list of anyone and make it look good or bad. As we shall see, selectivity is not unique to me.

If you believe we are no better positioned as a team now than in 2001 so be it. And funny how Levy is to blame for everything and Pochettino (who was hired by Levy) is to take all the praise? Anyone who isn't in the straw man business will have noticed the post where I explicitly stated there was fault on all sides in Pochettino's departure. They may also have noticed my point alluding to the matter that Levy has now gone through Graham, Hoddle, Santini, Jol, Ramos, Redknapp, Villas Boas, Sherwood and Pochettino, as well as Pleat, Arnesen, Comolli and Baldini in the recruitment sphere.

Hoddle was the classic case of a playing legend brought in as a crowd-pleaser. Jol and Sherwood were assistants elevated after Levy ditched his own preferred choice. To secure Redknapp, Levy scrapped the director of football role he'd inherited from Alan Sugar but retained for seven years. Baldini was appointed at Villas-Boas' request, then eased out a little over a year after Pochettino arrived. And now, enter Mourinho.

To me, that list suggests one opportunistic, reactionary appointment being made after another rather than a stable vision. I'll freely confess, Levy isn't alone in that. But how many of the other reactionaries nab £6 million salaries, as Levy did while he was preaching budgetary restraint to his players and coach?

Maybe. My point was that Sherwood is seen as a joke while Pochettino is some sort of managerial god. Still the difference in results between the two for most apart from 2 seasons are not that different. Sherwood being the extreme example. Jol and Redknapp being better. Jol and Redknapp where "nobodies" when they took over at Spurs. Spurs where a proper mid-table team before Jol took them close to the CL (italian food etc.). Since 2004 the club has steadily improved with a couple of hick-ups. You might think I'm "diminishing" what Pochettino has done after 2017, but that really is nothing compared to how you are telling things. 1990 is the last time the club ended up above 7th before Levy. Then there was 10 years with around 50/50 and now no-one thinks anything less than 6th is a "disaster" for Spurs. Talk about diminishing someone's achievements.....

I specifically mentioned the league results have improved since 2001. So has Spurs' financial power. But is Levy withholding too much of that power and inhibiting the chance of even better results in both league and cups? Using the numbers crunched by our old friend the Swiss Rambler, it's manifest that during Pochettino's time, Levy's control of the wage bill went far beyond simple caution. Under Pochettino, Spurs spent a significantly lower proportion of its turnover on salaries than it did under Redknapp or Villas-Boas. A curious reward system, that.

Never said it did. But he took over a boring team that played very similar to how we played under Pochettino last season and made it exciting to watch taking a decent amount of points. Again - this is not me trying to make Sherwood better than he was. I wanted Sherwood gone that summer, but let us not pretend it is some sort of magical achievement for a manager taking 71 points with Spurs like Pochettino did last season.

I've added a few bolded replies to the quote above.

As for the last paragraph, it strikes me as the last word in selectivity to mention Pochettino's 71 point campaign while excluding the fact that Spurs reached the Champions League/European Cup final for their first time in their history, and that once the knockout stages kicked in they stuttered from 60 points in 26 games (why, a selective contrast can be made with Sherwood's 42 points in 22 games if you're feeling like comparing small samples) to 71 in 38. Correlation isn't necessarily causation, but to skate over it entirely and substitute another straw man is a revealing choice.

Spurs has managed six 70-point campaigns during the EPL era - four under Pochettino, three times while simultaneously competing in the Champions League. In 2009/10 they didn't have to play in Europe at all, though they did make domestic cup quarter and semi-final appearances. As to 2012/13: two early domestic cup exits and a Europa League quarter-final. If you look for me using the word 'magical' you'll do so in vain. But he's consistently competed at home and Europe at a level no Spurs predecessor in the modern era has replicated.

By way of comparison, in 2010/11 Redknapp's Spurs coupled their trip to the Champions League quarters with a 16 win, 62 point EPL campaign. They didn't hang around either domestic cup competition long. Now, I think that team wasn't as strong as Pochettino's, Modric and Bale's presences notwithstanding. It was their first CL campaign, not their third. Weighed against that, 2010/11 was, if memory serves, three TV deals ago when the middle reaches of the league had far less buying power. City had Mancini, not Guardiola. Liverpool had Hodgson, then Dalglish, not Klopp. Ancelotti, Ferguson and Wenger aside, the list of coaches was, to put it politely, uninspiring. I think Redknapp's Spurs faced less of a rough ride, all things considered.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad