Pochettino Out, Mourinho In

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Why do you keep using the term straw man when you clearly do not understand the meaning of it?

I think it's your own ability to grasp definitions you need to worry about.

Sure the CL run was well done, but only a fool wouldn't acknowledge the randomness of such runs.

Well, here's a step in the right direction. As to 'randomness', that element plays a part in every single game of football ever played. Spurs beat Real Madrid and Dortmund in the 2017-18 Champions League and put themselves into a winning position against Juventus in the round of 16 before all went awry.

Spurs had two top four finishes before Pochettino and four with him. Call it whatever you want.

I'll call them one Champions League qualification without Pochettino and four with him, and the people who've put together the Champions League fixture lists and doled out the Champions League prize money in recent years would agree with me. Furthermore, Daniel Levy tends to notice the difference these things make to the accounts.

I am not arguing Pochettino didn't do better than Jol and Redlnapp. I'm arguing the difference isn't that big.

And to sustain the final line of your argument you have to ignore the sporting and economic outcomes. Which is some angle to take when discussing a professional sport.

In 2005-6 and 2006-7, Spurs finished fifth under Jol. Both seasons Arsenal finished in the fourth and final Champions League position.

In 2010-11, Spurs finished fifth under Redknapp, Arsenal finished in the fourth and final Champions League position.

2011-12 I touched upon, skating discreetly over the North London derby that Spurs led 2-0 after 34 minutes only to leak five in a 28-minute spell themselves that triggered a run of one win in eight thereafter from which Arsenal were the direct beneficiaries.

In 2016-17 under Pochettino, Spurs were one of four teams whose qualification for the Champions League caused fifth place Arsenal to fail to reach that competition for the first time since 1998.

In 2017-18, without Champions League football, Arsenal's revenue fell £35 million - a combination of prize money lost and penalty clauses to their commercial deals for failing to make the top European competition. Their operating profit of £52 million in 2016/17 turned to a £42 million operating loss. Only player sales allowed them to record a profit.

Finishing fourth last season under Pochettino meant Spurs returned to the Champions League, and Arsenal missed out for the third straight year. It's speculated that when the Gunners' financial results are published for 2018/19 they'll register their first loss since 2002.

The difference isn't that big, you say?

I'd be amazed if any Spurs fan agreed with you.
I'd be amazed if any Arsenal fan considered the various above campaigns 'about the same'.
Far worse, I'd be amazed if Daniel Levy agreed with you. And you wouldn't want to set yourself against him, would you?

Reactions: maclean

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
@Stray Wasp

So in your head a 4th place finish is less of an accomplishment when an English team wins then CL that same year?

Obviously not, but you are actually trying to argue that is the case.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Vertonghen never intended to leave. He has said so repeatedly in interviews before these last couple of months. That was the club not offering him a contract as far as I could understand.

Alderweireld might have realized that he can't get that enormous deal elsewhere? Not sure.

I hope they both stay, but I also hope they are not getting very long deals. They have both clearly started on their decline.

Eriksen can ¤%"%. Much rather play Lo Celso. Not sure why Eriksen came on instead of Lo Celso on Tuesday.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
@Stray Wasp

So in UEFA's head a 4th place finish by an EPL team is less of an accomplishment when an English team that finished lower than 4th in the league wins the CL that same year and causes the 4th placed EPL team to forfeit Champions League qualification, and any club with the ambition of qualifying for the Champions League should pay attention to UEFA's rules about how Champions League qualification is achieved?

Exactly. I couldn't have stated it any better myself.

Alas, you oblige me to repeat myself: to sustain your argument in earlier posts in this thread you have to ignore the sporting and economic outcomes.

Again, I refer you to the Swiss Ramble's stats:

European TV income in 2012/13:

Arsenal 31.4 million euros
Tottenham 5.4 million euros

This is the financial gulf that arose during one season in direct consequence of Spurs falling from third to fourth over a period of five games, then failing to catch up over the subsequent run-in to the season's end, thus causing them to fall foul of the rules of the competition they aspired to play in during the 2012/13 season.

And note, I've detailed TV income only, not all the associated add-ons of CL qualification.

I'd suggest that modern European football's business model is built on the assumption that qualifying for the Champions League carries extra prestige and the additional pulling power that (if wisely used) helps a club attract a higher quality of player, which in turn improves a club's prospects of sustained success on the pitch.

Would you agree with that suggestion? And if you disagree, what are your specific disagreements?

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
The Mourinho whitewashing and revisionism in this thread is entertaining.

Where? To me it seems like most have a healthy scepticism (in general) and that they are (me included) positively surprised by him so far.

When the facts change I change my mind - what do you do sir?

Things will change quickly enough if Mourinho turns grumpy old man again.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
I was carefully optimistic, considering that he pretty much was the best coach available for the clubs situation. And I still am.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
I for one would find it utterly hilarious if Arsenal changed managers after Spurs and signed the better manager.

The most spursy thing would be for Spurs to have sacked Pochettino to beat Arsenal to Mourinho only for Arsenal to get Pochettino. Sign me up.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I wonder if some of the people here commenting on Spurs even watch the team? How is that a loss for Spurs? Sacking Pochettino was 100% the correct decision. Maybe things could have been done differently earlier. I don´t know, but the way Pochettino behaved there was no way back. I would love it if Arsenal hired a still moaning Pochettino.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I wonder if some of the people here commenting on Spurs even watch the team? How is that a loss for Spurs? Sacking Pochettino was 100% the correct decision. Maybe things could have been done differently earlier. I don´t know, but the way Pochettino behaved there was no way back. I would love it if Arsenal hired a still moaning Pochettino.
Ppl don't want to admit that Poch has been trash for 2019.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Right now he is.
Based on what? Even Mourinho’s stint with United was ultimately more successful with a worse squad. People don’t like Mourinho but Poch hasn’t exactly lit the world on fire. He’s done well but he hasn’t done anything that puts him above Mou.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Two for two.

I find it a bit funny when people forget that Pochettino's second best season he ended up behind the washed up Mourinho.

Pochettino deserves a lot of credit for his first three years at Spurs. I doubt if Mourinho would have had the patience to build what Pochettino did build. I doubt he has that type of quality to build what Pochettino built at Spurs during those years. It was a team full of young and fairly cheap players (relatively speaking) that played fearless football that at times were very entertaining as well. Add to that his likeable personality and there is no wonder why pundits, fans etc. rate(d) and like Pochettino.

If he had continued a long that path I would have agreed that Pochettino could have been rated higher than Mourinho. If Spurs had developed from 2017 they would have been up there with Liverpool and Pochettino with Klopp. It never happened. And looking what Pochettino did since then I think it is just as likely that he had a Ranieri-run as him being that good of a manager. Some of his decision making was borderline absurd. Time will tell.

Mourinho is at times extremely unlikable. It hurts him on boards like this. Nothing other than the romantic dream of Pochettino suggests he is better than Mourinho at this point though.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Based on what? Even Mourinho’s stint with United was ultimately more successful with a worse squad. People don’t like Mourinho but Poch hasn’t exactly lit the world on fire. He’s done well but he hasn’t done anything that puts him above Mou.
We see

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
If Spurs had developed from 2017 they would have been up there with Liverpool and Pochettino with Klopp. It never happened.

No, they wouldn't. Their players are nowhere near as good, they didn't spend enough money to buy players as good as Liverpool's, and that is a proven fact.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
No, they wouldn't. Their players are nowhere near as good, they didn't spend enough money to buy players as good as Liverpool's, and that is a proven fact.

I agree that recruitment has been a factor and that Liverpool have been very good these last years at getting good value for their big signings. But you have already admitted being clueless about Spurs so I really don´t see why you keep on commenting on things you clearly don´t know much about. As Alli has been showing in the few days since Mourinho took over there is clearly quite some untapped potential in the Spurs squad. But it is difficult when Kane and Alli goes from close to 60 goals to less than half. That has nothing really to do with Liverpool having superior individual quality. Dier being hailed as the next proper DM for England to being overweight and so slow it looks like he is playing one of those games for players that retired 30 years ago. Again - really nothing to do with who Liverpool bought. The list goes on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad