Pochettino Out, Mourinho In

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
The amount of positivity from the Spurs fans here is hilarious, I am confident enough that he has not changed and I will avatar bet anyone for an entire EPL season that they won't win anything this year with him.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
The amount of positivity from the Spurs fans here is hilarious, I am confident enough that he has not changed and I will avatar bet anyone for an entire EPL season that they won't win anything this year with him.

Who should they have hired then? Another "long-term project" manager? That wouldn't help their stars staying.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Mourinho talked about his admiration for Lucas Moura yesterday. Expect him to be involved a lot.

He also asked the real Dele Alli to please stand up.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Did someone say they’d win something with him this year?

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I missed Malaga in the semis. Which year was that? But let's not act like Ten Hag hasn't won stuff domestically
Quarter final point remains the same.... lets not act that its not a little different winning Eredivisie trophies opposed to EPL. Still not even sure what you are arguing. Since the original comment was about Pep not winning without money. So, again where are you going with this exactly. Make your point clear bud.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Quarter final point remains the same.... lets not act that its not a little different winning Eredivisie trophies opposed to EPL. Still not even sure what you are arguing. Since the original comment was about Pep not winning without money. So, again where are you going with this exactly. Make your point clear bud.
You asked for a coach who has won without spending big money. Ten Hag took Ajax to the CL semis without spending big money and consistently wins domestically. I don't know why you're not getting this to be honest

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
You asked for a coach who has won without spending big money. Ten Hag took Ajax to the CL semis without spending big money and consistently wins domestically. I don't know why you're not getting this to be honest
Because going to the semis isn't winning and winning in the dutch league is different to what Pep is tasked to do. Not sure why your not getting this tbh. BTW ten hag has one 1 league trophy in the dutch league. "consistently" lol.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Strange how managers that do well without money tend to end up in positions where they are allowed to spend.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Because going to the semis isn't winning and winning in the dutch league is different to what Pep is tasked to do. Not sure why your not getting this tbh. BTW ten hag has one 1 league trophy in the dutch league. "consistently" lol.
Sorry, consistently isn't fair, you're right. In his only full season with Ajax, he won the double. So far, he's 6 points up in the Eredivisie. Meanwhile, with Utrecht, he took them to 5th and 4th, 4th being their best league finish since 1990-91.

I don't get what you're not understanding. You asked for a coach who has won without spending money. Yes, Ten Hag didn't win the CL with Ajax, but he got closer than Pep has with City while spending significantly less and while winning domestically.

I guess I don't understand what your parameters are. Would Ranieiri at Leicester meet your qualifications?

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Sorry, consistently isn't fair, you're right. In his only full season with Ajax, he won the double. So far, he's 6 points up in the Eredivisie. Meanwhile, with Utrecht, he took them to 5th and 4th, 4th being their best league finish since 1990-91.

I don't get what you're not understanding. You asked for a coach who has won without spending money. Yes, Ten Hag didn't win the CL with Ajax, but he got closer than Pep has with City while spending significantly less and while winning domestically.

I guess I don't understand what your parameters are. Would Ranieiri at Leicester meet your qualifications?

Again it’s different winning the Dutch league than what pep is trying to accomplish. I can’t be certain of this but I’d wager that Ajax have spent more than their opposition too. He still didn’t win the CL and it’s an anomaly.

I was waiting for the ranieri example to show up it’s a much better example than Ten hag sadly it to is an anomaly. Soo yeah.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Again it’s different winning the Dutch league than what pep is trying to accomplish. I can’t be certain of this but I’d wager that Ajax have spent more than their opposition too. He still didn’t win the CL and it’s an anomaly.

I was waiting for the ranieri example to show up it’s a much better example than Ten hag sadly it to is an anomaly. Soo yeah.

Obviously no manager anywhere will consistently win with significantly less resources. Any manager capable of that will end up in a club with relatively speaking more resources.

As for Guardiola I find his reputation ridiculous. Certainly a good manager, but how he is considered anything more I don't know. Will be interesting to see how he rebuilds City without spending a lot more than anyone else. My guess he won't be able to.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Pochettino - if he had finished this year he would have had 4 out of 6 seasons (most likely) in the top 4. Really only that one season in 16/17 that stands out as significantly better than what Jol, Redknapp, AVB and Sherwood did before him.

If my analysis is Fox, Comical Ali would have been proud of the above. The quartet you mention put Spurs in the Champions League a grand total of one time between them, yet Pochettino qualifying for that competition four years in a row and reaching the final doesn't stand out as significantly better.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
If my analysis is Fox, Comical Ali would have been proud of the above. The quartet you mention put Spurs in the Champions League a grand total of one time between them, yet Pochettino qualifying for that competition four years in a row and reaching the final doesn't stand out as significantly better.

That is not an analysis. That Spurs ended up 4th and no CL hardly has much to do with the Spurs manager.

I always wanted us to replace Pochettino with Di Matteo.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis

Gotcha, every counter example is just an anomaly. That must be nice.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
That is not an analysis. That Spurs ended up 4th and no CL hardly has much to do with the Spurs manager.

I always wanted us to replace Pochettino with Di Matteo.

You compared Pochettino's seasons - which consistently qualified Spurs for the Champions League - with managers who had seasons that didn't qualify for the Champions League and said only one of those seasons stands out as significantly better.

From both a sporting and economic perspective, that's manifest nonsense. If Redknapp, Villa Boas and Sherwood weren't all sacked because Levy thought them incapable of putting Spurs into the Champions League, what was the reason?

Again the irony of you saying, 'no analysis', and chucking out the Di Matteo straw man, when in your defensive laziness you overlook that Spurs finished the 2011-12 season one point off third-placed Arsenal.

Spurs ended the season taking 23 points from their final 17 games.
Arsenal ended the season taking 34 points from the same stretch.

I'm sure none of that can be pinned on Harry Redknapp. Especially the three game run where Spurs took one point from sunderland away, Norwich at home, and QPR away.

And, lest we forget, in 2011-12 Spurs didn't have a run to the final of Europe's top club competition to distract them. Mind, they've never had that in their history, apart from last season under Pochettino.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
You compared Pochettino's seasons - which consistently qualified Spurs for the Champions League - with managers who had seasons that didn't qualify for the Champions League and said only one of those seasons stands out as significantly better.

From both a sporting and economic perspective, that's manifest nonsense. If Redknapp, Villa Boas and Sherwood weren't all sacked because Levy thought them incapable of putting Spurs into the Champions League, what was the reason?

Again the irony of you saying, 'no analysis', and chucking out the Di Matteo straw man, when in your defensive laziness you overlook that Spurs finished the 2011-12 season one point off third-placed Arsenal.

Spurs ended the season taking 23 points from their final 17 games.
Arsenal ended the season taking 34 points from the same stretch.

I'm sure none of that can be pinned on Harry Redknapp. Especially the three game run where Spurs took one point from sunderland away, Norwich at home, and QPR away.

And, lest we forget, in 2011-12 Spurs didn't have a run to the final of Europe's top club competition to distract them. Mind, they've never had that in their history, apart from last season under Pochettino.

Why do you keep using the term straw man when you clearly do not understand the meaning of it?

Sure the CL run was well done, but only a fool wouldn't acknowledge the randomness of such runs.

Spurs had two top four finishes before Pochettino and four with him. Call it whatever you want.

I am not arguing Pochettino didn't do better than Jol and Redlnapp. I'm arguing the difference isn't that big.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
He always had that in my opinion. The good mood Mourinho doesn't worry me - it is the bad mood Mourinho that does.

Trust is build in drops and lost in buckets kind of things. Players might feel the support from their manager building slowly (drops) until one day he loses it again (bucket). Not saying one incident is all it takes. I hope he can still have that "nastiness" about him, but it can't turn into just general bad mood (like it did with Pochettino). Ruthless energy to win players will respect, but not childish mood swings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad