GDT: PO Game 5: Columbus at Pittsburgh | 4/20 7PM

OnYourIgnoreList

Dec 21, 2006
I won't compare the two coaches, but Babcock is a HoF coach (as much as he turns me off). They both have done an outstanding job.

Honestly though I would have made a push for Tortz when he became available.

Agree - Babcock did a great job this year. But personally, I think Torts got more out of less or about-the-same, in terms of roster-wide talent level.

I sort of wanted Trotz too.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
For sure. I'd much rather have Korpi starting in goal than Forsberg.

Yeah, it's one of the reasons that we paid so much money to Bob in the first place. We have no depth and were dealing out a position of weakness.

A good team with options wouldn't have given Bob that contract.

The one contract that always has me scratching my head is Foligno. Love the guy, but wow... We have another 4 years with that NMC. We should have been able to expose him and should have considered it.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Agree - Babcock did a great job this year. But personally, I think Torts got more out of less or about-the-same, in terms of roster-wide talent level.

I tend to think that we underestimate the talent on this team. I will say that their young kids really produced. I'd say we have the edge on defense and they have the advantage with their young forwards at this point. They also have a lot of top 10 pick forwards that are all breaking out at the same time. I think a guy like OB is going to break out, he's just more a project.

They have nothing like a Jones/Werenski pairing. We have nothing like Matthews.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
The officials had a tough series. That goaltender interference call was poor and gave the Pens the opportunity they needed to finish us off.

As far as Bob, don't be unhappy. He's the player that he is. You have to take the good with the bad. I was really hoping that he was beyond the "spiraling out of control" portion of his career.

I'm not unhappy just a little disappointed that he couldn't prove me wrong.

Pretty fair assessment of Bob. Ebbs and flows. On one hand he carried the team to a regular season mark that we might not ever see again...on the other, he was mediocre goalie Bob in the playoffs.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Pretty fair assessment of Bob. Ebbs and flows. On one hand he carried the team to a regular season mark that we might not ever see again...on the other, he was mediocre goalie Bob in the playoffs.
Have said it elsewhere but will say it again here - if there's a way for Bob to improve his game in the playoffs, he'll find it. The guy obsesses over this stuff and there's no way this series is going to sit well with him.

Dunno if there actually is any way for him to get around it, but if there is one, I'm confident he'll find it.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Yeah, it's one of the reasons that we paid so much money to Bob in the first place. We have no depth and were dealing out a position of weakness.

A good team with options wouldn't have given Bob that contract.

The one contract that always has me scratching my head is Foligno. Love the guy, but wow... We have another 4 years with that NMC. We should have been able to expose him and should have considered it.

Really? Now we're back to the Foligno BS? He had a bounce back season. :facepalm:

You want to be worried about a contract? Look no further than #72, who now can be considered a playoff choker.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Bob had to have been hurt, right?

No. He loses his confidence that easily. He's gone on record saying he had "0 confidence" during the 8 game skid last year. I love Bob, but am beyond disappointed.

Torts wasn't going to call him out in the press, but reading between the lines I think he knows his team played well enough to at least make this series a whole lot closer if not win it, but Bob let his team down. He said twice "This was not a 4-1 series", and wouldn't say anymore about it.

Bob giveth the playoffs, and Bob taketh away playoffs. He has one more chance with this team and if he chokes it away again, I think he could be dealt the following season since he will only have one year left on his monster contract. Hopefully we have a goalie ready, not sold on Korpi either.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Torts wasn't going to call him out in the press, but reading between the lines I think he knows his team played well enough to at least make this series a whole lot closer if not win it, but Bob let his team down. He said twice "This was not a 4-1 series", and wouldn't say anymore about it.

Agree. He knows just as (better than, obviously) what so many have been saying, that Bob played a significant role in the team's success but that his play in the series was not good. But it doesn't do him or anyone any good to point that out in a presser.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
The thing is, everyone will remember Bob's play-off collapse, and few will remember his regular season brilliance.

Sadly, he did that to himself.

He can use the same rag he uses to polish his Vezina trophies to mop up our tears.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The thing is, everyone will remember Bob's play-off collapse, and few will remember his regular season brilliance.

Sadly, he did that to himself.
This would be why I think he'll want to focus on that in particular and find a way to fix it. It's the sort of person he's been. I wish him luck.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
The difference between the regular season Bob and the playoff Bob is striking.

Regular season save % since he's been a pro: 92.0%. Ranks T7 out of 34 goalies who played 10,000 minutes between 2010-2017.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?agg...2017&filter=timeOnIce,gte,10000&sort=savePctg

Playoff save % over same period: 88.7%. 26 out of 27 who have played 800 or more minutes. Exceeded in incompetence by only Ilya Bryzgalov. Maybe it's a Russian thing. j/k.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?agg...162017&filter=timeOnIce,gte,800&sort=savePctg

This roughly equates to him allowing 1 extra goal per game (roughly one goal per 30 shots).

It's a large sample. It's probably very fair to call him a playoff choke at this time. One more time and there's no room for debate.

I hope he gets a handle on this. It would be a shame if he can't. A probable two time Vezina winner whose playoff perfomances aren't even of NHL caliber isn't a very nice burden to have to bear. Next regular season is almost irrelevant for him. It's now gotten to the point where even his most stellar regular season play will be casually dismissed by the cynics. You guys, not me:)

Last edited:

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
xGA was 20 for the series -> Bob allowed 20. xGF was nearly 17 - the offense scored 13. That means the Pens got A LOT of quality looks (the most "high danger" chances BY FAR of any playoff team) and capitalized. Regular season Bob probably holds the Pens to 13-14ish goals.

The offense was a no-show on the road -> 4 goals in 3 road games. Was that Fleury playing out of his mind? Maybe in Game 5, but we didn't have a ton of great chances in Games 1-2, just a lot of shots from the half-wall and point that didn't have a prayer of going in.

Based on all that, CBJ probably should have won last night, and lost the only 50/50 game -> Game 3, and even then the Pens got more high danger looks. Other than that, the Jackets won the game they should have (Game 4) and lost the two where they didn't get quality looks (Games 1 and 2).

Want to blame Bob? Fine. Maybe Game 3 is on him. But the offense disappeared in Pittsburgh and the Pens were able to find ways to generate a bunch of shots from in tight.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
xGA was 20 for the series -> Bob allowed 20. xGF was nearly 17 - the offense scored 13. That means the Pens got A LOT of quality looks (the most "high danger" chances BY FAR of any playoff team) and capitalized. Regular season Bob probably holds the Pens to 13-14ish goals.

The offense was a no-show on the road -> 4 goals in 3 road games. Was that Fleury playing out of his mind? Maybe in Game 5, but we didn't have a ton of great chances in Games 1-2, just a lot of shots from the half-wall and point that didn't have a prayer of going in.

Based on all that, CBJ probably should have won last night, and lost the only 50/50 game -> Game 3, and even then the Pens got more high danger looks. Other than that, the Jackets won the game they should have (Game 4) and lost the two where they didn't get quality looks (Games 1 and 2).

Want to blame Bob? Fine. Maybe Game 3 is on him. But the offense disappeared in Pittsburgh and the Pens were able to find ways to generate a bunch of shots from in tight.

My post notwithstanding, Bob was only part of the issue. Fleury was Bob's equal for 2 of the games and the offense didn't get the job done.

This series was a lost cause unless Bob had stood on his head. An average regular season Bob would not have been enough. The Pens are/were the much better team.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Do you actually think they'd trade Jamie Benn or Tyler Seguin for Bobrovsky?

I doubt it but you never know. Dallas ain't going to win anything with crappy goaltending. If they think Bob can overcome his playoff blues why wouldn't they?

Are they a better team with Bob & one of the two you mentioned or with Lehtonen & both? I think you have to look at it that way versus the individual players.

Add one of those two & sign Scott Darling as a UFA and we're a hell of a better team imo.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
any trade with Dallas likely involves them moving a goalie. They need to unload one of Niemi (4.5M) or Lehtonen (5.9M) before they can add someone. Both have another year of contract.

Mind you, Spezza has a hit of 7.5M, Sequin 5.75M and Benn is at 9.5M

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad