GDT: PO Game 1: Columbus at Pittsburgh | 4/16 7:30PM EDT

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Even if this is just a line to feed the media this still bothers me. After 5 games against this team you should know exactly what to expect before even showing up at the arena.

And as we all know, playoff hockey is exactly the same as regular season hockey.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Richie "I've seen Bob make that save a thousand times." regarding the fourth goal.

EdwardG

Let's Dance!
Mar 17, 2009
Columbus
Then please put it to some use. They lost by one. They played pretty well most of the night. Skille's shot is an inch lower its a tie. They held Crosby in check. Malkin played well but no goals. Lots of positives. They can't possibly feel worse about their ability to play with Pittsburgh after tonight even though they lost.

Spirited effort but they did enough to lose. If it wasn't the way they did it, they would've found another way to lose. They played great, got up by 2, then folded like a tent for a few minutes, treaded water for a period and then came the inevitable coup de grace. Watching the 3rd I felt like the Jackets could've played another 3 straight periods and they wouldn't have scored.

They haven't broken through the mental block. I'm a pessimist and expect to see three more of these, but I really hope I'm wrong and they can finally break through and take these $%$#!%$ out, especially in front of the local frontrunners.

LooseCannon

Mar 29, 2014
Columbus
Then please put it to some use. They lost by one. They played pretty well most of the night. Skille's shot is an inch lower its a tie. They held Crosby in check. Malkin played well but no goals. Lots of positives. They can't possibly feel worse about their ability to play with Pittsburgh after tonight even though they lost.

Yeah they looked great at first, I was even getting excited... But, as a fan, this is the toughest loss to the the penguins yet... And there have been several to choose from lol... they blew the lead by giving up 3 unanswered goals for the sixth straight loss against them just this year... I wouldnt feel 'better' about myself after that lol well, maybe I would because all NHL players are millionaires anyway when it's all said and done

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
I know it's game one - all I'm saying is that I haven't seen it yet. When I do, I'll be sure to point it out.

Fair enough. For what it's worth, I understood what you meant about intensity and that's what I meant as well. The 'gassed' part was from guys who, IMO, probably came out running at 150% and then just lost it because they couldn't sustain it mentally or physically. If they can balance it out to full go for 60, they'll have a better game. Joey in particular looked overwhelmed for most of the game. I expect him to be better in game 2, along with many others. Some guys just thrive on it, some guys have to learn.

One takeaway is that there is apparently no stage too big for Boone Jenner. He was amazing for longer, but again, like others, he seemed overwhelmed by the third period and had little to give. Not having the puck further hurt the cause.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
I picked the CBJ to win tonight 4-2.... they lost 4-3...

It was close, the Jackets played on emotion for the most part but listen up and listen well, emotion does not win Stanley Cup Series; talent, skill, and coaching wins..

The boys need to lick their wounds, learn and come back to win…. period!

The CBJ are a good team, if Bob plays better we can win this series..

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
good game...we played hard, even out playing them in first half of game...we stopped hitting and made mistakes that they took advantage of...fix it and move on...

EdwardG

Let's Dance!
Mar 17, 2009
Columbus
I honestly thought they'd be a deer in the headlights and lose 6-1 tonight, then be more competitive Saturday... so in that sense it was a victory that they were very competitive. I was just disappointed to see what I think is the mental stuff that we've seen against the Pens before. Sometimes though it only takes one win to turn it around against a team.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
Without having kept up with this thread:

The score would suggest there is a lot to like about this game, and there was until the third. That was a bad period. DMac's shorty was huge and then giving up two quickies to tie it was a big letdown.

The boys showed they can play with the Pens, for the most part. I was apprehensive about period one, but that was a heckuva period for the Jackets.

Strangely, after this game, I still don't know how this series plays out. It's like the game somehow reinforced all the storylines. Problem is, the game still counted and it's now 1-0 Pens. We need to disrupt the storyline and break serve.

I remain optmistic- but game 2 is big.

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
Tonight was definitely a missed opportunity. I'm certainly not happy about that.

However, we're definitely not out of our league against these guys; this is still a winnable series for our team.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
One takeaway is that there is apparently no stage too big for Boone Jenner. He was amazing for longer, but again, like others, he seemed overwhelmed by the third period and had little to give. Not having the puck further hurt the cause.

Biggest issue with Jenner. He has to realize he is more valuable dumping it in and getting on the forecheck than stick handling across the blueline - even if he has the chance and succeeds in skating the puck across the zone (unless it's an odd-man rush).

His best asset is getting the defender turned and pressuring the puck. Over the course of the game that wears the team down and makes the defense nervous. He also generates more chances that way.

When he tries to stick handle his way through a defender, he's playing into what the Pens want. They want to play him in the open ice - not along the boards.

I would tell him that he owes 100 push-ups every time (of whatever hockey equivalent they have) he tries to skate the puck into the zone if it's not on an odd-man rush.

He's a force, but we want his physical play after shift. Not a simple stick check and the puck moving the other direction.

Cash for Nash

May 13, 2012
Yep, he reacted too quickly and tried to make a far post save even though the puck was shot right at him.

It was similar to the last goal he gave up against his only action against Pitt earlier this year. Right under the armpit.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad