GDT: PO Game 1: Columbus at Pittsburgh | 4/16 7:30PM EDT

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Our best players were not our best players tonight as others have said. Bob was a little off and Joey aside from a few shifts here or there was in lala land. Wisniewski was also pretty horrible.

Dubinsky, Letestu, Calvert, Jenner, Dmac, and JJ were our best players tonight. Hope they keep it up. Our PK needs to improve as well. Too much watching, no reason there should be an unattended stick for the 2nd tip in goal.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
You guys have got to quit blaming Bob. You want Mason in there??? We need to quit deflecting pucks into our own net. The one goal went off of Savard.

We should probably avoid Bob homerism. He played ok, he didn't play like a Vezina caliber goalie. Saying he need to play better is not blaming him. Can't speak for anyone else, but that's what I'm going with.

ScreamingWild

Jobu Mojo
Oct 4, 2006
Ontario
I'm neither surprised or disappointed. Loved the way the guys didn't play as if they were in awe of either the Penguins or the playoffs. Yes, there were mental mistakes and probably more nerves in the third than in the first and second. That first game is out of the way now and I believe they will settle down, zero in on what they can improve from tonight and come out Saturday intent on winning.

Looking forward to Saturday!

gojacketsgo61

Fire the Refs!
Apr 27, 2009
If we want to have a chance at winning, we need Bobs to be lights out. 2nd goal should not have happened and the 4th goal was extremely questionable. That can't happen in a close game where CBJ is already getting outplayed.

Need a big bounce back game from Bobs. Hopefully he shakes it off, ignores the pressure and plays like the Vezina Bobs.

LooseCannon

Mar 29, 2014
Columbus
In the pregame Milbury said that the Jackets if they lose have to take something away from the game that convinces them that they can win against the Pens. I think they did that.

What is it that should convince them of that? Is it Bob giving up 8 goals in 2 games against them? How about them blowing the 3-1 lead in just a 45 second span... Don't forget that once the Penguins had the lead, the offense shriveled and died...

I love CBJ and I want to be hopeful too... But I also have a brain. This will not be the year but if Bob actually shows up on the same night the offense does maybe they can get their first postseason win... That would at least ease the pain slightly...

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Pittsburgh took control in period 2 and managed the game well the rest of the way. It was too easy for them in the third. There has to be another gear. It's not about being a defeatist; it's watching closely what was happening on the ice.

What I am waiting for is the Jackets to show me they can play to the playoff level. Didn't see it tonight. I thought we played a great first and the rest of the game we didn't manage it all that well.

The experience of the Pens as evident.

Yes, it absolutely is.

I'm not worried about the extra gear. The most concerning thing to me for most of the second half of the game was not having the puck. The first period was good because they won 70% of the faceoffs. I don't know the stats for the rest of the game, but the FO % couldn't be good. This team needs to get the puck on draws against good teams because they aren't often able to get it back easily. This was magnified today as it has been all season. Chasing the puck shift after shift and defending made everyone pucker that much more and when they did get the puck on their stick, they were only concerned with clearing or dumping the puck and getting off the ice. Win more draws, control the puck and the game becomes slower or more calm for them - which helps the inexperience. IMO, anyway

Regarding their extra gear, could we see more? Sure. Some guys looked really gassed in the third. Not surprising given it was their first game of the playoffs. One of the biggest things you hear from guys playing in big games is the need to 'pace' themselves and not blow their wad too early and until you've done it, you don't know how to do it, however many regular season games you've played. I expect this to get better as the series goes and as they gain experience.

JacketFanInFL

Brick by Brick
Mar 27, 2006
Central FL
What is it that should convince them of that? Is it Bob giving up 8 goals in 2 games against them? How about them blowing the 3-1 lead in just a 45 second span... Don't forget that once the Penguins had the lead, the offense shriveled and died...

I love CBJ and I want to be hopeful too... But I also have a brain. This will not be the year but if Bob actually shows up on the same night the offense does maybe they can get their first postseason win... That would at least ease the pain slightly...

That's the thing and usually the defense is to blame for these blow ups, but it was a turnover, penalties, and below average goaltending.

MFRONE

Feb 3, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
NHL Blue Jackets ‏@BlueJacketsNHL 1m
"We got our feet wet. We know what to expect, and we'll get focused for Saturday now." - Richards #CBJ #BattleOn
Even if this is just a line to feed the media this still bothers me. After 5 games against this team you should know exactly what to expect before even showing up at the arena.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009

Damn son, and I'm the pessimist.

Young team with very little playoff experience. Even our seasoned vet MacKenzie hasn't played in the playoffs, and Tyutin hasn't played in them since 08-09. They'll take it as a learning experience, and if they can play the exact same in the first for the rest of the game, they probably win.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Lestestu was our most consistent forward, outside of maybe Calvert. Not much from Atkinson. Dubinsky had that great play in the 1st, but otherwise most of his contributions were on the defensive end. Letestu should have played 18 minutes.

Richards has to to be a better job of recognizing who has it going. Letestu had a lot of chances.

Savard was not really for playoff hockey. I think he'll be our biggest liability this series. I think this stage is a bit too big for his current level of development. Should but Schultz in there - at least until a home game where we can control the match-ups better.

Crosby out there with Savard is just a bad, bad idea.

EdwardG

Let's Dance!
Mar 17, 2009
Columbus
Bob kind of stunk tonight. Do I prefer him to Mason? Of course. But he just has to be better the rest of the series.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Thing that will continue to bother me is if that Calvert 2 on 0 breakaway with Cam would have gone our way, if we ride that the rest of the way for a win. We would have gone up 4-3 latei n period 2, could have been a huge gut punch. If only he didn't lose balance and be able to get it to Cam.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

Then please put it to some use. They lost by one. They played pretty well most of the night. Skille's shot is an inch lower its a tie. They held Crosby in check. Malkin played well but no goals. Lots of positives. They can't possibly feel worse about their ability to play with Pittsburgh after tonight even though they lost.

MFRONE

Feb 3, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Jeff Rimer ‏@jrimercbj 3m
Look for adjustments Saturday for #CBJ in game 2 of the #NHLplayoffs as Umberger told me he will play vs the #Pens and maybe Foligno too

Bash him all we want, but RJ coming in would be huge on Saturday.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Bash him all we want, but RJ coming in would be huge on Saturday.

I would agree but I am afraid RJ is just pushing it to try to get in the game, I think if it was a regular season game he wouldn't play (maybe Foligno too). If RJ can play and play at 90% then great, but if he's anything less for the better of the team he should sit. Same with Foligno. We can't afford to lose two guys in the same game due to a reoccurring injury.

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
Thing that will continue to bother me is if that Calvert 2 on 0 breakaway with Cam would have gone our way, if we ride that the rest of the way for a win. We would have gone up 4-3 latei n period 2, could have been a huge gut punch. If only he didn't lose balance and be able to get it to Cam.

Pens hit a post Jackets hit a post. Thats the way it goes. Pens won Game 1. Jackets made a good showing and let them know its not going to be easy and they will be sore. Move on to Game 2 and lets steal one. If they go back to Nationwide 1-1 I would be ecstatic.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I had a bad connection the last two periods (dear god was that frustrating), so I mostly got to see the good Jackets. Close game, hopefully adding Foligno and a better game from Bob is enough to make the difference.

Bob blew it when it mattered most just like he always does (Olympics, Nash in nationwide, etc.)

\ But I also have a brain.

Don't compliment yourself. Bob had a .952 at the Olympics.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Your posts admonishing folks for posts are just as dumb, let people post what they want NOT what you want....

It was a tough night, lighten up Wooten...

Sorry Bob, dumb is dumb. Don't really care what you think.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Pens hit a post Jackets hit a post. Thats the way it goes. Pens won Game 1. Jackets made a good showing and let them know its not going to be easy and they will be sore. Move on to Game 2 and lets steal one. If they go back to Nationwide 1-1 I would be ecstatic.

If we can take game 2 and go home with a 1-1 series it would be a huge battle. I like our chances that way. That said, Game 2 is going to be absolutely huge. Going home 2-0 makes Game 3 a deathtrap of win or likely a sweep, and the Pens would be smelling blood.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Regarding their extra gear, could we see more? Sure. Some guys looked really gassed in the third.

Talking more about intensity than getting tired as the game goes on. Subtle different. MacKenzie, Letestu, Dubinsky, and Calvert have it.

Wiz, Savard, and Nikitin don't. It's to be seen if Johansen and Atkinson do. It's taking your game to another level. The knock on Wiz has always been that there really isn't another level to his game. We know JJ has one, it showed up in the first period but he lost it as the game went on. We know Bob has the potential for it, but we didn't see it.

It can be learned with experience. But as I said I didn't see evidence that we're anything more than a "close but no cigar" kind of playoff team.

I know it's game one - all I'm saying is that I haven't seen it yet. When I do, I'll be sure to point it out.

Another note - way too many odd man rushes and defensive zone mistakes. If Crosby keeps getting those type of chances, he is going to really make us pay.

MFRONE

Feb 3, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I would agree but I am afraid RJ is just pushing it to try to get in the game, I think if it was a regular season game he wouldn't play (maybe Foligno too). If RJ can play and play at 90% then great, but if he's anything less for the better of the team he should sit. Same with Foligno. We can't afford to lose two guys in the same game due to a reoccurring injury.
RJ at 10% would be better then Boll (or even Frattin).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad