Post-Game Talk: Plus/Minus: Pens vs. CBJ - Backs against the wall edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Someone in the GDT also made that observation. Helped transition as everyone was playing close to one another. Helped in our zone, obviously. Good way to hide our lack of talent on d... to a degree. Transition was still very "meh" as @ColePens said.

We still gave up a lot of odd-man rushes and quality chances. Jackets missed some, Murray saved some.

Lot of work to be done defensively, no matter the alignment. However, without Letang, playing deeper and counting on turnovers might be a good plan.

One thing I will say though, Geno looks great when he has to help down low.

I've always said Geno was a better 200 foot player under Therrien and Johnson than under Bylsma and Sully. Support low, trap more in the neutral zone with less chasing hard all over the ice, and force turnovers in the neutral zone and counter always has been his strength as a 200 foot player.

I mean, when he's ON, he can play it any way, but the way we played it tonight plays to his 200 foot strengths.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Pettersson Letang - Pets is Dumo lite
JJ Schultz - seemed to work, don't mess with it
Riikola Gudbranson

I doubt wed ask Trotman or Gudbranson to play on their weak side

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
No, this guy is a winger. Not sure why people keep thinking he should be a pivot. Its not a coincidence he’s looking better now that he’s back at wing.

I 100% agree with this.
ATM let Bjugs, Cullen and Blueger figure out C.
And moving forward I'd tinker with him up in the top 6 if ZAR starts suckin'.

scrappylilnobody

Feb 11, 2006
Lots of under 25 guys contributing to a big win: ZAR, Guentzel. Murray, Pettersson, and McCann. That’s exciting for the Penguins future and important for a team with aging stars.

Reactions: StaalForOne

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Boy, if Phil could just elevate his game a little, ZAR-Geno-Phil would've done a number on Columbus tonight on the scoreboard like Rust-Geno-Phil did in the 2017 playoffs.

And, the more I think on it, the more I think ZAR kind of reminds me of Malone with Geno. Not super fast, but the speed works with Geno, he knows how to support and when to give Geno a little space, he wins enough battles on the forecheck (or otherwise mucks it up so Geno can swoop in), and he's getting Geno the puck (a) when he wants it and (b) with that little bit of time and space that makes all the difference in the world.

Funny . . . I've lamented that the guy Geno's really missed all these years is Malone, and while still a little early, is it possible that of all people it sort of might be ZAR? :laugh:
We've talked about it before but ZAR while unremarkable is a very solid and smart player. He plays heavy and is good low in the zone. I think Rust would be a great final piece to that line.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Hey JR take notes here.

Goals beat out hits, once again we proved it. Guessing JR is angry about the win because we did not hit enough! Now we need more hitters like Lucic, McQuaid, Kassian, etc etc. When we hit we win.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad