Post-Game Talk: Plus/Minus: Pens vs. CBJ - Backs against the wall edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Only allowing 23 shots on goal? That's pretty impressive. A couple break downs but generally speaking better structure.

Yes.

And relatively speaking, they collapsed well.

And they clogged up the neutral zone well.

Hey @ColePens, @Scandale du Jour (or anyone else) . . . did it seem like they were playing that 1-2-2 back a little more than usual, like they did that game in Toronto last October? Again, with a few breakdowns, the gap in the neutral zone seemed really good and relatively speaking they were slowing the Jackets down coming through the neutral zone and forcing turnovers.

Reactions: Ryder71

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I like to think that won't happen, because Pettersson has been really good to me. I imagine the Penguins feel the same way. Whether they agree remains TBD, but I honestly can't imagine that they'll scratch Pettersson after how he has performed for them. He has been their 3rd best defenseman on the year overall.
so you think they sit Maatta, JJ, or Gudbranson?

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
We can't forget this one.

giphy.gif

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
I think the Horny on sids line is just Ok but it sets up the next two lines. I put Rust on the second and Phil with the florida boys on the third. McCann, can motor and create some pressure for Kessel to pick his spots. Bugstad played well on D and he just smothers guys on the boards with that size and reach. Yes his shot is slow at times but I like his game and smarts.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Yes.

And relatively speaking, they collapsed well.

And they clogged up the neutral zone well.

Hey @ColePens, @Scandale du Jour (or anyone else) . . . did it seem like they were playing that 1-2-2 back a little more than usual, like they did that game in Toronto last October? Again, with a few breakdowns, the gap in the neutral zone seemed really good and relatively speaking they were slowing the Jackets down coming through the neutral zone and forcing turnovers.

Someone in the GDT also made that observation. Helped transition as everyone was playing close to one another. Helped in our zone, obviously. Good way to hide our lack of talent on d... to a degree. Transition was still very "meh" as @ColePens said.

We still gave up a lot of odd-man rushes and quality chances. Jackets missed some, Murray saved some.

Lot of work to be done defensively, no matter the alignment. However, without Letang, playing deeper and counting on turnovers might be a good plan.

One thing I will say though, Geno looks great when he has to help down low.

Reactions: Andy99 and KIRK

Mrs Crosby's Dryer

Can we please fire idiot Sullivan now?
Dec 11, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa.
Solid win in a huge 4 point game

- really liking McCann’s all around game
- solid D by Schultz/JJ/Trotman/Derp
- Sid’s ENG was a nice “in your face” moment
- some really good and one great save by Murray

Reactions: wizmet12

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I was late to this one somehow, too. Me and my work buddies were passing it around a couple of weeks ago pissing ourselves with laughter.

No seriously, it was a problem. We were sent home. One dude got fired.

:laugh: how haven't I ever seen that before?

That was my favorite vine until I saw this one

I still cry of laughter whenever I see this. That first note in the harmonica kills me.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Very 2017 playoff vibe. Absolute struggle to transition but G was awesome and they made their opposition pay.

Boy, if Phil could just elevate his game a little, ZAR-Geno-Phil would've done a number on Columbus tonight on the scoreboard like Rust-Geno-Phil did in the 2017 playoffs.

And, the more I think on it, the more I think ZAR kind of reminds me of Malone with Geno. Not super fast, but the speed works with Geno, he knows how to support and when to give Geno a little space, he wins enough battles on the forecheck (or otherwise mucks it up so Geno can swoop in), and he's getting Geno the puck (a) when he wants it and (b) with that little bit of time and space that makes all the difference in the world.

Funny . . . I've lamented that the guy Geno's really missed all these years is Malone, and while still a little early, is it possible that of all people it sort of might be ZAR? :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->