Post-Game Talk: Plus/Minus: Pens vs. CBJ - Backs against the wall edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
What a take the good with the bad, turn it into good again, win.

4.gif

Reactions: Zirakzigil and KIRK

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Huge win, pluses for everyone, even JJ. Having an actual forecheck and neutral zone defence makes a world of difference. Geno has great hop in his step, Sid is, well, Sid, Jake is a Jackets killer and McCann is like Sutter but with actual good defence in addition to his surprisingly wicked shots. If we had blown it after that short-handed chance in the end I would have probably broken something, thankfully we didn't.

But why do we play such determined hockey only with our back to the wall? On the bright side, being in CBJ's heads is all kind of glorious, especially after they loaded up and we struggled.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
well very good game for just about entire 60 min utes snase some of the PK and occasional blurs....I said during the game the defense was humming...and Petterson with his best game of the season, we got better when Ruhwedel was injured....
i did not like that Sid's line was not good...Hornquist is killing that line with the possession, they can't circle, they can't have a clean breakout...I am trying to jinx Horny into playing better...
geno was solid tonight he and ZAR need Rust to dominate....

speaking of Rust this will be a huge loss they won't be able to afford...maybe Teddy can bring a little bit there cause Simon is who he is - one speed careless hockey player....no need for him there

McCann is good, Bjugs carries the puck sometimes well but not much of possession there, still don't see a fit for him anywhere here on the roster, third line center?

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
+++++++ Geno/ZAR = Much as it pains me to admit @ColePens was right about his boy, these two really have something cooking.

Want to know what Sully thought of Geno's game tonight? He was on the ice with the EN on Sid's wing. And, yes, his 200 foot game was that good. And, ZAR is winning battles, mucking it up like Malone, Talbot, Kunitz used to. Getting Geno some time and space with the puck, and weird thing is Geno is 100% trusting him out there.

I do think it's weird how quickly Malkin has meshed with ZAR. He usually does NOT trust young guys or guys he perceives as pluggers. Something tells me ZAR has shown a lot in practice and camps so that Malkin understands he can trust him with the puck.

And I also noticed Malkin out there for the EN, which is not common. I still think he and JJ should get helpers on that EN, the way I saw it.

I just knew they'd take this one. The dynamic felt exactly right for a win, here. Dunno about the rest of the season... their weaknesses are still very, very evident. But... c'mon... all those moves the Jackets made at the TDL? All the doom and gloom surrounding the Penguins (on a national level) and their much ballyhooed decline? This was practically a gimmie.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Character win. Long time between drinks. Pens actually handled the adversity well vs the Flyers as well. I think Geno, Sid, just won;t allow this team to go south. Now get back Dumo, Letang, Rust and play with this urgency and heart and I finally have some hope here.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Whoa there...don’t count your chickens...he hasn’t even appeared on the ice yet to suck...
I'm not trying to make the Gudbranson trade to be anything but abysmal. Trust me. I just think we struck gold with McCann; he's 22 and looks to be a stud middle-6 guy for this team well into Sid and Geno's decline. That, coupled with the potential for Bjugstad to (hopefully) find his game and you've got a fantastic trade.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Funny that you pick a thread that is actually positive for that gif

To be fair, that's an amazing gif :laugh:

I really can't emphasize enough how good of a win this is to me. It's not because it's Columbus and it's not because they didn't have Letang or Dumoulin. It's because for the first time I can remember this year, this team looked like a cohesive unit. That means way more to me than the performances of any individual player. You can win with players like Johnson and Gudbranson if you're playing as a complete team playing responsible hockey, I truly believe that. Getting this team to play as 1 complete unit is way bigger than any trade deadline acquisition that they can make. It's only 1 game, but I'm encouraged by what I saw.

And I'm also drunk, so don't take my word for it. Blame the guy who said the "Jabranson" pair would look good for that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad