Post-Game Talk: Plus/Minus or whatever: Islanders suck worse than Pens

TorstenFrings

lebenslang gruenweiss
Apr 25, 2012
Bremen
Every streak includes some dirty wins.

I don't even care that HF boards will always call those of the Hawks unreal and those of the Pens lucky.

PensFan68

May 6, 2003
Pittsburgh
Visit site
I come away impressed with only Vokoun and Despres in this one.

Good efforts by Martin, Vitale, Sutter, Cooke and Duper also. Sid of course is never bad, although their second goal is on him.

Two points. Wonder what that Isles dressing room is like now. Three home losses. Three games where they were tied or leading going into the third. 0 goals scored. 9 conceded. That says a lot of things and none of them flatttering.

IMO, Sid had a bad game, and he still came out of it with 2 points. He's just that good :yo: Honestly though, he just didn't have it tonight, and it's expected to happen. He can't play great every night.

As much as I worry about BB on the 2nd line in the playoffs, every time I watch him I wonder why. He's strong on the body, controls the puck, and smart in his own zone. He had a good game.

Vokoun may not have looked great, but he had a good game. Came up with some huge saves.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
You know I want to agree...but I can't. They'll just say no Malkin, no Letang. Which are valid points. But some of the issues tonight are issues even when those 2 are back.

Have you heard about the new broken record chain, the one that shows Pollyanna in a 24/7 loop? :D

IMO, Sid had a bad game, and he still came out of it with 2 points. He's just that good :yo: Honestly though, he just didn't have it tonight, and it's expected to happen. He can't play great every night.

As much as I worry about BB on the 2nd line in the playoffs, every time I watch him I wonder why. He's strong on the body, controls the puck, and smart in his own zone. He had a good game.

Vokoun may not have looked great, but he had a good game. Came up with some huge saves.

You worry about him for the same reason I do, I'd think. With Neal's consistency issues in terms of moving his feet, that means you're asking Bennett to be Geno's sole avenue of support for almost all of the little things out there. It's a tough thing to ask of anyone, especially a rookie. The regular season signs are absolutely encouraging with Bennett. BUT, the playoffs are a different animal, and the unknown is the great worry.

Me, I think Shero can address that with a top nine forward, a 2/3 tweener who can step up if Bennett hits the wall for whatever reason.

SteelFish87*

i didnt think Crosby had that bad of the game. He battled hard.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Have you heard about the new broken record chain, the one that shows Pollyanna in a 24/7 loop? :D

ya know, Pens aren't going to make any moves and win the cup and you and I will get ostracized.

..:)

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
ya know, Pens aren't going to make any moves and win the cup and you and I will get ostracized.

..:)

Or they won't, and the random excuse generator will be out in full force.

As I've said in the TDL thread, anything can happen in the playoffs. It's just the way it is. BUT, there are things Ray Shero can do to insure that the Pens are better positioned to go further. That's all I ask. Whatever happens thereafter is Vitale's will.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens need a top 6 winger RH shot to replace Kennedy. Also badly need a fourth line upgrade. Unfortunately the players I have in mind are with teams playing much better than a month ago.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
BUT, there are things Ray Shero can do to insure that the Pens are better positioned to go further. That's all I ask. Whatever happens thereafter is Vitale's will.

ya, we're in lockstep on that.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Just got done with the DVR and have to say 1 thing...

Vokoun was a ****ing monster. That's the only reason we won that game. We played like **** for the majority of it and TV was the man. Awesome stuff. This is why we paid for a backup and even though he struggled after that Flyers debacle.

Very happy for Vokoun!

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Just got done with the DVR and have to say 1 thing...

Vokoun was a ****ing monster. That's the only reason we won that game. We played like **** for the majority of it and TV was the man. Awesome stuff. This is why we paid for a backup and even though he struggled after that Flyers debacle.

Very happy for Vokoun!

A good (and under-stated) point here. Vokoun really needed to steal one after his last several outings.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Haven't seen anyone mention the 4th line. They were great tonight that shift at the end of the first period where they drew that penalty was the best shift they had all year. I haven't been a big fan of Vitale like some of you guys but hes played really good lately and deserves to play every game once Geno comes back.

KaylaJ

i bent my wookie
Mar 12, 2009
hell
-i missed much of the first doing something else
+ i missed much of the first
+ Vokoun, they interviewed him on NHLN and he said "fun" about 5 times in less than a minute
+ 11 wins, only 14 back from the Heat...
+Cooke's pass to Sutter was nice
+ been a rotten few days, so a win was definitely nicer than the opposite.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
They played like crap and all but you have to love how they just find ways to win games lately.

Vokoun was amazing tonight.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Sounds like a good game for me to have missed. I did hear that at one point, the Isles were outshooting the Pens 12-0 to start the game.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I agree with others saying Martin, Despres, and Vitale having good games. I also think Neal/Sutter work well together. They just have that chemistry right off the bat. I love watching them play together.

And Beau had one shift where he made two GREAT defensive plays. He wasn't great today, but that's because he was on a WBS line w/ two worthless players.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Sounds like a good game for me to have missed. I did hear that at one point, the Isles were outshooting the Pens 12-0 to start the game.

You missed the worst game ever. :laugh: It was sloppy, boring, and pathetic. TV was the main reason to watch the game. He was out of this world good. Huge saves. He won us this game.

And any time Vitale scores, I cheer my ass off. But yeah - you missed nothing. I would just watch extended recaps.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
My fun fact for the game:

Thomas Vokoun is now leading Tanner Glass in points.

:laugh: Glass is such a worthless player. He almost took 2 penalties late in the game. He deserved a penalty for hitting Nabby. That was 100% a penalty. Isles were cheated out of that one. Then Glass cheap shots someone else in the shift. What a jabroni.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
I agree with others saying Martin, Despres, and Vitale having good games. I also think Neal/Sutter work well together. They just have that chemistry right off the bat. I love watching them play together.

And Beau had one shift where he made two GREAT defensive plays. He wasn't great today, but that's because he was on a WBS line w/ two worthless players.

They were both on Tavares.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
:laugh: Glass is such a worthless player. He almost took 2 penalties late in the game. He deserved a penalty for hitting Nabby. That was 100% a penalty. Isles were cheated out of that one. Then Glass cheap shots someone else in the shift. What a jabroni.

Oh, I'm so glad you brought that up. I wonder if he'll get a call from the league over that one. I couldn't believe how he hit Nabby. I mean, he seemed to lean into it. I was shocked at the hit, shocked at the non-call. Dumb play.

ShatteredGlass

∞ Posts Deleted :)
Dec 19, 2011
Pittsburgh / Vegas
They were both on Tavares.

The fact that he was able to separate their best player from the puck twice in the same shift made me really proud of Beau. As Cole said, it wasn't his best game, but look who his linemates were. Putting Cooke on LW 2 while dropping Beau to RW 3 was definitely a head-scratcher.

Random Oracle

Aug 3, 2005
Oh, I'm so glad you brought that up. I wonder if he'll get a call from the league over that one. I couldn't believe how he hit Nabby. I mean, he seemed to lean into it. I was shocked at the hit, shocked at the non-call. Dumb play.

Maybe we could lobby for a suspension for Glass. The rest of the season, maybe?

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
So what was up with that last second empty net goal??? Did it count or not??? I rewound my DVR when that happened and after watching a second time, it really looked like the puck went in but went in like a split second after the clock hit 0.

Good goal or no?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
You missed the worst game ever. :laugh: It was sloppy, boring, and pathetic. TV was the main reason to watch the game. He was out of this world good. Huge saves. He won us this game.

And any time Vitale scores, I cheer my ass off. But yeah - you missed nothing. I would just watch extended recaps.

Hopefully this is a good sign that the Pens were able to win a game in which they were awful. Earlier in the season, this is the kind of game we lost to the Panthers. Something about good teams finding ways to win games they probably shouldn't?

Or maybe I'm just trying to find a silver lining where there isn't one. :laugh:

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Hopefully this is a good sign that the Pens were able to win a game in which they were awful. Earlier in the season, this is the kind of game we lost to the Panthers. Something about good teams finding ways to win games they probably shouldn't?

Or maybe I'm just trying to find a silver lining where there isn't one. :laugh:

You know my theory by now - getting beat is sometiems a good thing. And the Pens got their ***** WHIPPED in the first. It should have been 4-0. There was a time I think it was 12 shots to 0 for us. We didn't get our first shot forever. It was just an ass beating.

So maybe that sets a little fire? I'm not sure. Bylsma is stubborn at this point and guys like Glass will still see ice time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad