Post-Game Talk: Plus/Minus - Game 3

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
I just watched the game because I could not watch it livew tonight because I had one of my final exams in school today. May I ask when the refs will start to call ****ing interference penalties against the Rangers? How can a Team like the Rangers win the Presidents Trophy? They look really weak compared to some of the other teams I saw so far. I still think we would have had a really solid chance if healthly. Dont know about the series now, doesnt look like we dont have a chance but its hard to believe in a team like that.

Speaks volumes as to how weak the East has become.

SidDidNothingWrong

Beau's IcedCapp
Jan 2, 2014
Look for a repeat of game 2 Wenesday. Those arrogant ****** looked at that game last night and said "Alright boys, **** it, no practice today." God, **** them. Please even this series up.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I just watched the game because I could not watch it livew tonight because I had one of my final exams in school today. May I ask when the refs will start to call ****ing interference penalties against the Rangers?

http://dkonpittsburghsports.com/2015/04/20/column-stripes-have-penguins-seeing-stars/

Never

How can a Team like the Rangers win the Presidents Trophy? They look really weak compared to some of the other teams I saw so far. I still think we would have had a really solid chance if healthly. Dont know about the series now, doesnt look like we dont have a chance but its hard to believe in a team like that.

When they play the Islanders next round, they're dead.

SidDidNothingWrong

Beau's IcedCapp
Jan 2, 2014
The one thing I have seen from this team for the first time in 5 years was continuity. Before, we gave up at every turn, there was simply no point in trying at the end of games. Now, even if we are losing, we play for momentum. Take game 1, it was a game very similar to game 3. In fact, the Penguins took many more penalties. They played hard until the end and that continued over to game 2. The God's honest truth is, neither of these teams can play with a lead and we will see that tomorrow when the Pens tie it up. The Rangers looked at that 3rd period yesterday and said it was good enough for a day off. I feel a blowout tomorrow.

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
impressive efforts from fleur, kunitz, lapierre, and crosby, several of which i was surprised by because i consider most of those players slugs.

it seems like the pens really do have some nice pieces for a cup run, but so much of the roster is trash that its just not meant to be.

SidDidNothingWrong

Beau's IcedCapp
Jan 2, 2014
Yeah let's read way too much into every thing. By the way I believe we took the day off after game 1.

Our team is the walking dead. Malkin can barely skate. Our reasons for a day of rest are different then theirs. They seem to be pretty confident they have us in the bag, I think because personally, if I was the Rangers, I would be scared ****less at the almost choke in game 1 and last night. Bylsma-esque. I may be wrong, just an inference.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
The one thing I have seen from this team for the first time in 5 years was continuity. Before, we gave up at every turn, there was simply no point in trying at the end of games. Now, even if we are losing, we play for momentum. Take game 1, it was a game very similar to game 3. In fact, the Penguins took many more penalties. They played hard until the end and that continued over to game 2. The God's honest truth is, neither of these teams can play with a lead and we will see that tomorrow when the Pens tie it up. The Rangers looked at that 3rd period yesterday and said it was good enough for a day off. I feel a blowout tomorrow.

I don't know about a blowout. These teams seem too conservative. They can go a full period with under 10 shots combined.

I also don't know if we can say that neither of these teams can play with the lead. The Rangers scored first all three games, losing one. I think the Pens are starting to show some modest spark when it's crunch time, but it's tough to come back on the Rangers. Heck, this team can't come back against anybody. Not that they're infallible with the lead either, but I think scoring first will pay huge dividends for the duration of these kinds of games. They need to play that way immediately.

Perron, at least, finally managed to get a couple good looks at the net last night. I think he'll manage to break through soon. Needless to say, Malkin needs to be on the scoresheet.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Our team is the walking dead. Malkin can barely skate. Our reasons for a day of rest are different then theirs. They seem to be pretty confident they have us in the bag, I think because personally, if I was the Rangers, I would be scared ****less at the almost choke in game 1 and last night. Bylsma-esque. I may be wrong, just an inference.

Their reasons are their reasons and none of us have any clue what their team is like or what's best for them. As far as being scared, are you serious? They dominated us for most of the game. All Vigneault has to do is get them from sitting back next time. Scared of our 22 shots? That we wouldn't even have gotten if they would've kept coming after us? Dude get a grip. I love how people act like the Rangers can't adjust or get better too, just us. My god.

SidDidNothingWrong

Beau's IcedCapp
Jan 2, 2014
I don't know about a blowout. These teams seem too conservative. They can go a full period with under 10 shots combined.

I also don't know if we can say that neither of these teams can play with the lead. The Rangers scored first all three games, losing one. I think the Pens are starting to show some modest spark when it's crunch time, but it's tough to come back on the Rangers. Heck, this team can't come back against anybody. Not that they're infallible with the lead either, but I think scoring first will pay huge dividends for the duration of these kinds of games. They need to play that way immediately.

Perron, at least, finally managed to get a couple good looks at the net last night. I think he'll manage to break through soon. Needless to say, Malkin needs to be on the scoresheet.

Oh I meant series lead. Every time the Rangers win a game there is a "here comes the Cup," mentality and every time we win a game there is a "here comes the upset," mentality but I could make an argument for the score. In game 1 and game 3 the Rangers were holding on by the tips of their fingernails. Game 2 we gave up a goal with 5 seconds to go. Just because we didn't lose does not mean we were, or the Rangers were, successfully playing with the lead. In all 3 games, the clock bailed out the winning team.

SidDidNothingWrong

Beau's IcedCapp
Jan 2, 2014
Their reasons are their reasons and none of us have any clue what their team is like or what's best for them. As far as being scared, are you serious? They dominated us for most of the game. All Vigneault has to do is get them from sitting back next time. Scared of our 22 shots? That we wouldn't even have gotten if they would've kept coming after us? Dude get a grip. I love how people act like the Rangers can't adjust or get better too, just us. My god.

It has already happened twice. It obviously isn't a coinkydink. Ask any Rangers fan and they will tell you they have a CHRONIC problem with sitting back. They took a Flyers team with Ray Emery last year to 7 games. There is a stat that says the Rangers haven't won a series in less than 7 in God knows how long.
Also, yupp. Vigneault and Ulfie can posture for the media all they want, but we all know that when the goalie is pulled one of them is going to go in. How many times can they score 2 goals and give up one and have to hold on throughout a 6 on 5?

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
It has already happened twice. It obviously isn't a coinkydink. Ask any Rangers fan and they will tell you they have a CHRONIC problem with sitting back. They took a Flyers team with Ray Emery last year to 7 games. There is a stat that says the Rangers haven't won a series in less than 7 in God knows how long.
Also, yupp. Vigneault and Ulfie can posture for the media all they want, but we all know that when the goalie is pulled one of them is going to go in. How many times can they score 2 goals and give up one and have to hold on throughout a 6 on 5?

Both times it happened they won. I think that counts for something. Plus I'm not sure of your final point. You'd prefer to be down a goal with a minute left and pull the goalie as opposed to being the team with the lead? I think you'd be alone in that.

I think what you're saying makes sense if they blew both leads and had to win in OT or something, but as it stands I don't get it at all.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Question. Malkin´s point totals for this series.. 0.5.. Over? Under?

Honestly, I would take one decent game from him in this series. If he needs the rest, then sit him the next game and pray that he is more rested in next and generates something. Of course, the chances of winning the game without him are pretty low, but he´s making the minimal impact anyway. That regular season finish is really hurting us. Not that the Rangers are terrible matchup, but especially because we couldn´t give Malkin that much needed rest. He was forced to play and it´s really hurting us now. With Letang in or even with normal Malkin, we would beat this Rangers team. Rangers are incredibly lucky.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Oh I meant series lead. Every time the Rangers win a game there is a "here comes the Cup," mentality and every time we win a game there is a "here comes the upset," mentality but I could make an argument for the score. In game 1 and game 3 the Rangers were holding on by the tips of their fingernails. Game 2 we gave up a goal with 5 seconds to go. Just because we didn't lose does not mean we were, or the Rangers were, successfully playing with the lead. In all 3 games, the clock bailed out the winning team.

Oddly, our victory was probably the most convincing win for either team. We should've won 5-2 with the empty net. That would've easily made it a successful lead protection.

It's tough to say, though. I feel like the Rangers are scoring on plays that are practiced and repeatable, and we're just relying on forcing the net and putting in scraps. Not that that's a lesser way to win by any means, but it doesn't make me think a glut of goals is coming our way.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Question. Malkin´s point totals for this series.. 0.5.. Over? Under?

Honestly, I would take one decent game from him in this series. If he needs the rest, then sit him the next game and pray that he is more rested in next and generates something. Of course, the chances of winning the game without him are pretty low, but he´s making the minimal impact anyway. That regular season finish is really hurting us. Not that the Rangers are terrible matchup, but especially because we couldn´t give Malkin that much needed rest. He was forced to play and it´s really hurting us now. With Letang in or even with normal Malkin, we would beat this Rangers team. Rangers are incredibly lucky.

You can't not play Malkin. End of discussion.

SidDidNothingWrong

Beau's IcedCapp
Jan 2, 2014
Both times it happened they won. I think that counts for something. Plus I'm not sure of your final point. You'd prefer to be down a goal with a minute left and pull the goalie as opposed to being the team with the lead? I think you'd be alone in that.

I think what you're saying makes sense if they blew both leads and had to win in OT or something, but as it stands I don't get it at all.

All I am trying to say is that all that has separated us in 3 games is one goal. The Rangers are slowly figuring out that we are competition and very few teams allow our mentally fragile team to start come backs in the third. The Rangers should be feeling breath on the back of their necks that they managed to hang on in two games to a one goal lead. The fact that there is this calmness, or at least faux-calmness, in the Rangers locker room and organization is setting up the Pens to continue getting close and perhaps steal another game or two. Either the Rangers still aren't taking us seriously or they are starting to get a little self-conscious that the series is close.

SidDidNothingWrong

Beau's IcedCapp
Jan 2, 2014
Oddly, our victory was probably the most convincing win for either team. We should've won 5-2 with the empty net. That would've easily made it a successful lead protection.

It's tough to say, though. I feel like the Rangers are scoring on plays that are practiced and repeatable, and we're just relying on forcing the net and putting in scraps. Not that that's a lesser way to win by any means, but it doesn't make me think a glut of goals is coming our way.
A fair point.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

Eh I dunno. The Rangers win last night was pretty convincing. I mean sure we almost tied it in the third but only because they completely sat back. It shouldn't have been anywhere near that close. They pretty much controlled play through two periods last night.

Side note but it's truly sad how we missed the boat yet again with Jagr. Winnik has been a total bust, and Jagr of course had 16 points in his last 18 or whatever. Telling me we couldn't use that right now?

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
You can't not play Malkin. End of discussion.
Yeah, I´m just trying to find a way to get him going. He was forced to play in the last 7 regular season games.. It´s really a shame that we couldn´t afford to sit him in those, it would really make a huge difference now. Our regular season struggles are costing us in big way with Malkin. It´s painful to watch. Playing with Perron obviously doesn´t help but there are no attractive options now.

There were reports of him flying in the practice though. I still can´t help and think that he should be able to play better than this, even if being limited.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
The third period is definitely something to build on. I don't know if it was them really pressing or the Rangers sitting back. However, they need to carry that over to tomorrow nights game.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Eh I dunno. The Rangers win last night was pretty convincing. I mean sure we almost tied it in the third but only because they completely sat back. It shouldn't have been anywhere near that close. They pretty much controlled play through two periods last night.

Side note but it's truly sad how we missed the boat yet again with Jagr. Winnik has been a total bust, and Jagr of course had 16 points in his last 18 or whatever. Telling me we couldn't use that right now?

I was convinced through most of the game, but then they almost let us tie it several times (thinking of Lapierre's near-SHG, or Perron walking in for a slot attempt). It seemed like they could've shut us out completely, or let us back in easily. They have the ability to dominate us, but also have a propensity to stop attacking. I need no convincing of the Rangers' potential, but if they want to play to our level, that's fine with me.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Yeah, I´m just trying to find a way to get him going. He was forced to play in the last 7 regular season games.. It´s really a shame that we couldn´t afford to sit him in those, it would really make a huge difference now. Our regular season struggles are costing us in big way with Malkin. It´s painful to watch. Playing with Perron obviously doesn´t help but there are no attractive options now.

There were reports of him flying in the practice though. I still can´t help and think that he should be able to play better than this, even if being limited.

I think the way he's played shows he is pretty hurt. Plus we can't overlook the typical pile of **** he has to work with on the wings. I'd call out Perron before Geno. No secret he's been bad, but when he first got here he looked like at his best he could take charge and at least take some heat off Malkin in a situation like this. Guy is just poop right now

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00