Post-Game Talk: Plus/Minus - Game 3

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
MJ is far from perfect but I have a little hope that the team can get their **** together quickly with the right roster/coach. I see an actual accountable team. That's strange. There are a lot of times I see a Penguin get hooked/slashed or something and they don't do anything. They just keep going. Under DB we would have slashed and been a bunch of ****ing babies.

It's not for want of their heads being in the right place or for want of effort.

On defense, you've got Paul Martin and 5 guys who arguably wouldn't be among the six starting defensemen on at least half the teams in the playoffs.

Up front, you've got 2/3 of a top line that could tilt the ice against anyone (too bad hockey isn't an individual sport) and the one guy who when healthy really puts fear into the Rangers so banged up that he's go no burst on the forecheck and backcheck and actually is afraid to wind it up for fear that he lacks the speed/leverage to keep the puck (which is borne out the rare time he goes for it anyway).

I don't care how badly you want it or how smart you play it or how well your coach is doing, if the other team is deeper and plays desperate and responsible and the other team's coach eschews arrogance in favor of adjustments and the rules are called the way they are . . .

You know, I'd like to be pissed about the way this one turned out, but I'm not sure how much more you can ask given what the Pens can put out right now when that Rangers team comes to play.

People who think this series is being called evenly and the penalty discrepancy is where it's at purely because of a lack of Pens discipline are delusional.

That's a penalty by any measure and it happened right in front of the ref, in a series where the calls have been overwhelmingly against the Pens. How do you not call that?

It could be worth a try, but I kind of like having a bottom 6 that's worth a ****. Lappy's actually made our 4th line a threat. Without Adams! Imagine that.

Not saying he would be, but he COULD be this year's Talbot.

One adjustment I'd look to make in terms of the lines: Right now, Malkin lacks the burst and leverage in 1 on 1 battles to be a force defensively or on the forecheck. You've got to get him out there with two guys who will ease that burden. If it means playing with Lappy with him or maybe sometimes on Sutter's wing (I hate this one, but Sutter needs someone to get him the puck and this is one area where Malkin's offensive game isn't lacking right now) or maybe both on the same shift, MJ has to adapt a little better to where Malkin physically is now beyond protecting him on draw locations. With Perron hurt and Malkin hurt, the Pens lack a forechecker save Horny who could do anything to help those two sustain possession . . .

I'd split Malkin and Perron, not because they wouldn't be good together when healthy, but because they're struggling defensively and on the forecheck where both are hurt at the same time.

Last edited:

SidDidNothingWrong

Beau's IcedCapp
Jan 2, 2014
I finally made the decision. I am done watching full NHL hockey games(with the exception of the Pens) until the league figures its **** out and delivers this league from the dead puck era 2.0. I have too much valuable time and too much of a love for sports to be swindled by this **** anymore. There is the KHL, NCAA, other Euro leagues, Major Junior leagues, etc. When I came home and saw that Yandle hold, it sent me over the precipice. The best player in the league should be able to skate forward without being grabbed and held. In any other league or sport Yandle would have been caught out of position or beat and been forced to play positionally and with his stick or make a hit. This is a joke. Now I know why the NBA and Soccer has such strict punishment in games. They may be soft leagues, but if players are beat and make dumb attempts to neutralize a great player, they are given a card/free kick or free throws against. Cristiano Ronaldo will never leave the game due to multiple concussions from blind side hits.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Sad panda here.

In all honesty the Rangers are significantly better than we are roster wise, and I think for long, long stretches tonight they also looked it. But for some reason they take down the intensity enough for spells that we are ultimately making every game a tight one eventually. That and desperation is what happened in the third period. Just a shame that we couldn't cash in on more.

It simply sucks to see a series being this winnable against the odds (plus, arguably, the men in stripes), and then have Malkin be completely ineffective because of injury and miss Letang, Maatta and Erhhoff against a full strength Presidents Trophy winner.

I mean, come on!

Plus side I cannot fault the players dedication one bit. Would like to see our coach give Sid and Malkin some shifts together at ES once in a while to at least TRY, but other than that I gotta say he is at least having them buy in and play mostly very good D. If he could also come up with a play or two for the D to outlet the puck with some kind of purpose, then I suppose I would feel that he had made steps in the right direction.

On to game 4, obviously a must win game where the breaks better be on our side for that to happen.

As you said, there's some tinkering MJ can do. I'd like to see him split Malkin and Perron and try to play Malkin with a pair of guys who are going to help account for how his injury is affecting his defensive and forechecking game. Perron can't do that because he's hurt himself. I'm not sure it's even Comeau. Honestly, I'd be half tempted to throw him out there with Lappy and Spaling and hope a spark hits. Sad to say it, but you can't ask him to be what he is when he's healthy, and I think that's what MJ is doing playing him with a hurt Perron.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
To take it even further, I'm done with the NHL in general after the Pens bow out. The game has gotten so bad they've turned away a 25 year fan. I used to be the kid to record games on VHS and watch them over and over. The league is a compete joke now.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
The ref'ing and the roster is what it is at this point.

Moving into next year, the roster deficiencies are obvious and it's pretty clear you CAN go younger on the back end and not only survive but be better off for it. It's much more important to spend around Sid/Geno and actively search for and sign skilled forwards.

Thought i'd be thoroughly embarassed by these Pens this post season but it's been the opposite so far. They're playing about as good as they can with whats on this roster right now.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
That's exactly what I saw. Desperation didn't create a better effort, it just led to playing the right way in today's NHL, where EVERYONE has to get involved in order to sustain the cycle.

Right now, the Pens are playing like the 2010 Habs when they went on their flukey run. Keep everything to the outside, play it safe, and hope for a break and great goaltending.

I get that it's a necessity given who's hurt, but Jesus you have to look at what worked for you and stick to it. I understand the Rangers hung back, but a lot of what was happening in their zone was simply a result of the D men pinching, and of course basically rolling 2 lines.

They won't do it because they're ****ing stupid, but if Pouliot is healthy, then dress 7 D.
Take Wilson out and just double shift Sid and Geno and Sutter. It'll get them out of a few matchups for short spurts, and it'll hopefully get Scuderi the **** off the ice on offensive zone draws. He's so useless out there right now with the puck that it's comical.

I really like this, but here's how I'd manage the lines . . .

Sid with Kunitz and Horny
Geno with Lappy and Spaling and Comeau
Sutter with Perron and Winnik and Downie

What you do is you rotate those three wingers for Geno and Sutter, get a feel for what's working and who's hot, and gravitate towards that.

Then, you randomly insert a Sid double shift. Not Sutter. And, alas, not Geno, who can't handle it right now, with whoever the odd men out for Geno and Sutter on a sequence is.

Maybe a random shift without Sid, Geno, or Sutter. Maybe a random shift where Geno slides up for Kunitz.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
With our team right now, getting Geno going has got to be the number one priority. I know he is not 100%, but it also seems like his confidence is shot and he just seems like he is playing dumb without much of a hockey IQ. Getting back a pm d man would be nice, but we need offense from Geno to have a shot at winning this series. I still have faith.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I'd try a couple shifts of:

Malkin-Crosby-Horny
Perron-Sutter-Lapierrre
Comeau-Spaling-Winnik/Downie

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I'd try a couple shifts of:

Malkin-Crosby-Horny
Perron-Sutter-Lapierrre
Comeau-Spaling-Winnik/Downie

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/8200547-74/perron-malkin-shot#axzz3XuY4ioTO

Jibe of this article's reference to post game comments seems to be MJ liked what he saw from Perron-Malkin-Comeau.

I think part of it may have been because the Rangers were sitting back, but, at this point, it is what it is where MJ's roster management is concerned.

I still think it's a mistake, not because the line in theory is a mistake (quite the contrary), but instead because of the on ice consequences of Malkin and Perron (likely) being hurt.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but did anyone think Lemieux looked real pissed every time the camera was focused on him?

Pens are trying their hardest and that's great but I don't get the feeling Lemieux is satisfied at all. Maybe it's because of the penalty disparity and nothing deeper than that or maybe he's just disgusted with the Pens roster in general.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but did anyone think Lemieux looked real pissed every time the camera was focused on him?

Pens are trying their hardest and that's great but I don't get the feeling Lemieux is satisfied at all. Maybe it's because of the penalty disparity and nothing deeper than that or maybe he's just disgusted with the Pens roster in general.

Perhaps the two are related . . .

Kunitz showed a pulse in game two, but, let's be honest, Sid is skating on 2/3 of a line.

Malkin, I suspect we're going to learn pretty soon, is skating with a back so ****** up that people will wonder how in the heck he's even skating at all, and the best they can do for him, really, is Blake Comeau.

Maybe Mario is pissed they have to try to slog through the **** the refs won't call with the deck stacked against them by how this roster want constructed.

More likely, he's just pissed at the officiating. ;)

EDIT: Or maybe he's been watching the Anaheim series and marveling at how their #6 defenseman is more physical and more adept at making breakout passes than any healthy defenseman on the Pens. :sarcasm:

Geno's back injury must be serious.When was the last time he takes a slapshot?It's really no point to play him right now.

We'll know soon enough.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
Yeah really pointless and probably dangerous even playing malkin if he's that injured.

Mario I'm sure is writing a nasty letter to the league calling them and their refs big meanie heads.

I honestly wish he would sell his share of the team. there's too much baggage there anymore. You criticize the league and officials for twenty years you're no doubt going to make some enemies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Yeah really pointless and probably dangerous even playing malkin if he's that injured.

Mario I'm sure is writing a nasty letter to the league calling them and their refs big meanie heads.

I honestly wish he would sell his share of the team. there's too much baggage there anymore. You criticize the league and officials for twenty years you're no doubt going to make some enemies.

What other option do they really have?

Why do you think he came back for that home weekend series against Phoenix and San Jose when it looked like the Pens were one bad weekend from being in jeopardy of missing the playoffs?

Why do you think he came back for the last week and a half of the regular season?

Johnston said a few weeks before the end of the regular season 'they found something small' when it looked like Malkin would be back shortly and he then stayed out for a while longer. I'm no doctor, but maybe some hairline fracture or something like that?

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I really don't like them putting Perron and Malkin together right now. Malkin can't skate with his injury, and Perron isn't a fast guy normally. Just not a good mix.

But I guess there's no real alternative since there's nowhere to play Kunitz where he'll do a damned thing and he'd just drag Malkin down further.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh

I saw the Pens try their hardest too. For maybe 10 minutes.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I really don't like them putting Perron and Malkin together right now. Malkin can't skate with his injury, and Perron isn't a fast guy normally. Just not a good mix.

But I guess there's no real alternative since there's nowhere to play Kunitz where he'll do a damned thing and he'd just drag Malkin down further.

I kind of liked my idea above IF DP can go . . .

As MTL said, run 7 D

Sid with Kunitz and Horny

Geno with a rotation of Lappy, Spaling, and Comeau . . . guys who can help with what the injury is preventing him from doing, playing defense and forecheck at his normal level. Let's see if they can get an ugly goal, because a line with Geno won't get a pretty one with him hurt like this.

Sutter with a rotation of Perron, Downie, and Winnik.

With these rotations, get a feel for who the hot hands are and what combos are working on the particular night and then gravitate towards them.

Give Sid a random double shift where you've got an odd man out for Geno's line and then Sutter's line for a specific sequence.

I know we won game 2, but over a best of 7 series, we don't have the horses/depth/health OR the puck movers to roll four lines.

TheSniper26

Oct 2, 2005
Youngstown
I just hope Geno playing through this back thing isn't a long term mistake. I mean I hate to be a downer but the odds that we win this series are slim, let alone going on to do any damage after it. This year just isn't worth any potential long term damage. Hopefully it's just a question of pain management.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Geno's back injury must be serious.When was the last time he takes a slapshot?It's really no point to play him right now.

Not really. He's useless out there and is dragging everyone around him down.

Bring up Farnham or roll 7 defensemen with Pouliot.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Not impressed by the Rangers at all.

This is a team we were supposed to be scared of? When they aren't getting calls from the refs at all, they aren't impressive at all.

If we had Letang in, at least Letang, we'd probably be up in this series.

Honestly, thank god for Fleury, he's the only reason the Pens haven't been jobbed badly.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
I wouldn't say that he's useless out there. He had a terrible game today no doubt, but if he can go and there's no long-term health risk you gotta play him. He played 20 mins tonight though. That's my issue. Sutter only played 12 mins. Say what you will about Sutter, but MJ probably should have reduced Geno's TOI a bit and increased Sutter's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad