Post-Game Talk: Plus/Minus - Game 3

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
This series is likely a lost cause for the Penguins, but every other team in the East is probably watching this series and licking their chops. The Rangers are barely squeaking by a depleted Pens team that isn't that good even when healthy.

Can't wait to see how they'd do against an actual NHL defense, with actual secondary scoring.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
This series is likely a lost cause for the Penguins, but every other team in the East is probably watching this series and licking their chops. The Rangers are barely squeaking by a depleted Pens team that isn't that good even when healthy.

Can't wait to see how they'd do against an actual NHL defense, with actual secondary scoring.

Save your ******** about not even being good when healthy, because the last time the team was healthy was probably a month into the season, so this sort of ******** pisses me off, seriously.

You think we're in this spot if suddenly to start the playoffs we have:

Pascal Dupuis - Top 9 depth
Olli Maatta - Top 4 Defense
Christian Ehrhoff - Top 4 Defense
Kristopher Letang - Top 4 Defense
Derrick Pouliot - Top 4 PMD

You bet your ****ing ass it would change the outlook of this team a great deal. I mean first off we go to this...

Dupuis, Crosby, Hornqvist
Kunitz, Malkin, Perron
Winnik, Sutter, Bennett
Spaling, Lapierre, Comeau

Scratches: Adams, Downie, Wilson...

Martin, Letang
Maatta, Ehrhoff

Cole, Pouliot

Scratches: Scuderi, Dumoulin, Harrington, Lovejoy, and Chorney.

Rangers are barely looking ok against the Penguins without the guys in bold being healthy. That's hilarious, also Fleury has been lights out better than Lundqvist in this round, whomever gets the Rangers next is going to be excited because first...the Rangers won't get beneficial calls because the refs don't hate anyone else more than they hate us.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Save your ******** about not even being good when healthy, because the last time the team was healthy was probably a month into the season, so this sort of ******** pisses me off, seriously.

You think we're in this spot if suddenly to start the playoffs we have:

You bet your ****ing ass it would change the outlook of this team a great deal. I mean first off we go to this...

Kunitz, Malkin, Perron
Winnik, Sutter, Bennett

Martin, Letang
Maatta, Ehrhoff

Cole, Pouliot

Rangers are barely looking ok against the Penguins without the guys in bold being healthy. That's hilarious, also Fleury has been lights out better than Lundqvist in this round, whomever gets the Rangers next is going to be excited because first...the Rangers won't get beneficial calls because the refs don't hate anyone else more than they hate us.

You clearly have a higher opinion than I do about a top six that includes both Dupuis and Kunitz. Not to mention you're delusional to think that Lovejoy and Scuderi would be healthy scratches and wouldn't be infecting the defense corps. Not a chance in hell they'd be sat in favor of Pouliot and Cole in that above scenario.

Even with a full healthy lineup, the Pens lack offensive depth up front (you can't possibly think Dupuis turns a forward group that struggles to score more than 1 goal per game into one that will be strong enough to match the better teams in the league). And on defense, the mix is a bad one, even with Letang and Maatta. Too many soft guys, not enough bruisers -- particularly because, as much as your fantasy roster wants to believe so, Scuderi and Lovejoy would be playing, not healthy scratches.

tinkezione

Butcher's Dog
Jul 22, 2013
Nicosia, Cyprus
Geno's back injury must be serious.When was the last time he takes a slapshot?It's really no point to play him right now.

I'd play Malkin with 3rd or even 4rd line minutes, since he indeed can be dangerous even if he was a mummified corpse of his grandfather on skates. Roll Sid's, Sutt's and Lap's lines on regular basis.

Winnik-Crosby-Hörnqvist @ 20:00 TOI
Bennett-Sutter-Perron @ 17:00 TOI
Kunitz-Lapierre-Comeau @ 14:00 TOI
Spaling-Malkin-Downie @ 9:00 TOI

Tandem Sid and Geno on special occasions at least once per period, depending on the amount of PK we're inevitable to face.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
For those saying you want to quit watching hockey after the Pens bow out, i'd ask you to watch some of the other 1st round games. Theres some fun hockey out there to be watched. Sucks the MTL and WPG series' are 3-0 cuz they've been really fun to watch.

The ref'ing is still pretty atrocious league wide but you'll get the odd game where they let everything go.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
We came out lazy last night, no urgency. Rangers put their foot down from the word go.

They also tried to be way too cute with the puck and that was a lot of our concerns heading into a game at home. The Penguins kept it simple, stifled the Rangers in game 2 and then reverted back to their "we're awesome guys!" type of ******** passing and doing drop passes here and there and trying to force passes and not being patient. It's amazing how fast they turned to crap after such a strong game finally.

Malkin, yeah he's hurt, minimize his minutes, if we ever manage to get power plays, use him more on that.

I wish Wilson played more, also I kind of wonder why Rust wasn't called up either, same for Megna. Both would bring a lot to the bottom 6 by the way of energy and speed, also likely to have less penalties called against them than Downie would be.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
For those saying you want to quit watching hockey after the Pens bow out, i'd ask you to watch some of the other 1st round games. Theres some fun hockey out there to be watched. Sucks the MTL and WPG series' are 3-0 cuz they've been really fun to watch.

The ref'ing is still pretty atrocious league wide but you'll get the odd game where they let everything go.

At this point, I really hope Calgary goes all the way. I really like that squad and have for quite some time, but my goodness, they play the brand of hockey I want the Penguins to play.

They finish each and every check, never take their foot off the peddle and when you shove, they shove right back.

tinkezione

Butcher's Dog
Jul 22, 2013
Nicosia, Cyprus
At this point, I really hope Calgary goes all the way. I really like that squad and have for quite some time, but my goodness, they play the brand of hockey I want the Penguins to play.

They finish each and every check, never take their foot off the peddle and when you shove, they shove right back.

Same applies for Winnipeg. I watched 2 periods of their home opener yesterday and it was one high intensity rumble fest, with crowd noise peak measured at 124 dB if I'm not mistaken. Too bad that Ducks have managed to dig out the win in all of these three games, I think the stats for leading position was something like 60 minutes for Jets and 10 for Ducks.

First and foremost, here's to trust that the Pens show up for Game 4, after which the series is all of a sudden all new and it's a great chance to pull out the presidential upset at MSG in Game 7. Next, I hope big time the Flames upsets the Canucks. They'd certainly deserve that.

PGHSports

Feb 24, 2007
Honestly this season can't end soon enough.

Pens better have a whole new look next season. I would buy out Kunitz, Scuderi, and Dupuis. Try to move Letang. I would also be open to trade anyone not named Crosby, Malkin, Fleury at the draft. Time to get younger, bigger, and faster.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Honestly this season can't end soon enough.

Pens better have a whole new look next season. I would buy out Kunitz, Scuderi, and Dupuis. Try to move Letang. I would also be open to trade anyone not named Crosby, Malkin, Fleury at the draft. Time to get younger, bigger, and faster.

I am actually enjoying watching this team right now. They aren't great, but they are playing a smarter, hard-working game than the Penguins teams we have seen in the last few years. It doesn't piss me off watching them lose to a better team anywhere near as much as when they blew series' that should have been theirs.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
I am actually enjoying watching this team right now. They aren't great, but they are playing a smarter, hard-working game than the Penguins teams we have seen in the last few years. It doesn't piss me off watching them lose to a better team anywhere near as much as when they blew series' that should have been theirs.

I kinda feel the same way right now as well. They still need to make serious changes though this off-season. By serious changes, I mean removing the 9 person committee in charge, cutting some of the dead weight that is killing this team right now, re-sign some of the depth guys, and play their youth (defense and offense). I don't believe they need to blow up the core however. Those guys are showing they care and are difference makers (I think Malkin would be if he was healthier and had better linemates).

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
My post somehow got lost in the internets... but I'll reiterate:

Dumoulin has exceeded my expectations somewhat - one bright spot of all these injuries is that it forces the Pens to give young guys like him a chance.

It's a shame that he didn't get looks earlier.

roquay

Aug 9, 2012
Victoria
We came out lazy last night, no urgency. Rangers put their foot down from the word go.

Not sure about that. It was in our offensive zone the majority of the first 5 minutes. I thought the first period we were the better team.

No teams are going to control a game for 60 minutes in the playoffs. Both teams are going to dominate at stages. Just gotta take advantage when the ice is tilted our way. Rangers did, we didn't.

tinkezione

Butcher's Dog
Jul 22, 2013
Nicosia, Cyprus

I agree. Patric Hörnqvist, Sidney Crosby and Marc-Andre Fleury are the manifestation of the heart this team now seems to have. Due to our AHL level defense the playbook doesn't get very well executed on routine, which would be required for a Cup run, but the heart is definitely there. As I said before the end of the regular season, I'm going to continue to wake up in the middle of the night and enjoy the Pens hockey as long as there's Pens hockey left in this season.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
My post somehow got lost in the internets... but I'll reiterate:

Dumoulin has exceeded my expectations somewhat - one bright spot of all these injuries is that it forces the Pens to give young guys like him a chance.

It's a shame that he didn't get looks earlier.

The signing of Scuds is so bad in that 1) you have a bad player 2) you have wasted cap space and 3) it has blocked the development of the young D like Dumo.

My God, Chorney and Dumo are way better than scuds who is a 36 year old broken down D.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
I'd play Malkin with 3rd or even 4rd line minutes, since he indeed can be dangerous even if he was a mummified corpse of his grandfather on skates. Roll Sid's, Sutt's and Lap's lines on regular basis.

Winnik-Crosby-Hörnqvist @ 20:00 TOI
Bennett-Sutter-Perron @ 17:00 TOI
Kunitz-Lapierre-Comeau @ 14:00 TOI
Spaling-Malkin-Downie @ 9:00 TOI

Tandem Sid and Geno on special occasions at least once per period, depending on the amount of PK we're inevitable to face.

And when we lose scoring only one goal again how will you feel about Geno getting 9 min TOI? Yeah they're not going to do that.

tinkezione

Butcher's Dog
Jul 22, 2013
Nicosia, Cyprus
And when we lose scoring only one goal again how will you feel about Geno getting 9 min TOI? Yeah they're not going to do that.

Actually I would, given that he is as much broken down as he seems to be. It would be much less detrimental to his long-term (series, to begin with) health, if it is at a state everyone speculates, but it would still give him some 15 shifts per game. Secondary scoring is more likely to be more productive than Malkin right now, especially since he doesn't even shoot.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC

Kunitz, Malkin, Perron
Winnik, Sutter, Bennett

Martin, Letang
Maatta, Ehrhoff

Cole, Pouliot

That lineup you are so excited about still is still very soff and wouldn't score much either.

Also, that fact that you have Scuds and Lovejoy sitting is laughable at best. You obviously do not know this franchise like you think you do.

Daeni10

Kunitz was there
Dec 31, 2013
Cologne
I just watched the game because I could not watch it livew tonight because I had one of my final exams in school today. May I ask when the refs will start to call ****ing interference penalties against the Rangers? How can a Team like the Rangers win the Presidents Trophy? They look really weak compared to some of the other teams I saw so far. I still think we would have had a really solid chance if healthly. Dont know about the series now, doesnt look like we dont have a chance but its hard to believe in a team like that.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I still can not get that nightmare out of my mind.

Not the game as much as the guy in front of me with the plumber's crack showing every time he got up when the Pens did something good or bad or to yell at the refs. That hairy ass crack will haunt me for a long long time.

Huge minus for ruining Pens' hockey games for me for longer than I care to think of.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad