Player Discussion: PLD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Yeah but concussions are usually 0 or 100% when it comes to player health after the player recovers. Like if he had any issues related to concussion he literally is not allowed to play according to NHL guidelines- it is not like a groin injury that you are allowed to "power through". So I don't know if I blame the concussion for his play... the Jets would not have allowed him to play had he not passed the protocol (and would have been quick to take him out if there were any symptoms following that)

If it was me I would just lie if I had to in order to pass the concussion test. Its playoffs, players will do what they can do to play if they think they can.

That said, zooming out and looking at the season as a whole...

Dubois was still a bit of an outsider to the locker room. He is a guy we brought in to be our 3rd best forward. But his leadership role on the team isnt close to that. It's a hard thing to try and be the type of player that can tell a cohesive group of guys that know each other so well on and off the ice to say "follow me".

He was essentially 3rd line in the pecking order. I'm sure he was disappointed with his performance, but there is always next year as they say.

I imagine Stastny moves on and the Jets give Dubois a role that is his to own and grow into. I imagine next year they staple Ehlers to his hip and marry them like Scheif and Wheels. That should be a good start to finding that 70 point two way player we hope we got.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
If it was me I would just lie if I had to in order to pass the concussion test. Its playoffs, players will do what they can do to play if they think they can.

That said, zooming out and looking at the season as a whole...

Dubois was still a bit of an outsider to the locker room. He is a guy we brought in to be our 3rd best forward. But his leadership role on the team isnt close to that. It's a hard thing to try and be the type of player that can tell a cohesive group of guys that know each other so well on and off the ice to say "follow me".

He was essentially 3rd line in the pecking order. I'm sure he was disappointed with his performance, but there is always next year as they say.

I imagine Stastny moves on and the Jets give Dubois a role that is his to own and grow into. I imagine next year they staple Ehlers to his hip and marry them like Scheif and Wheels. That should be a good start to finding that 70 point two way player we hope we got.

Exactly, I think coming in full time next year and being able to work out the kinks with his linemates in TC while being more comfortable in the room which should allow him to assert himself more.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Exactly, I think coming in full time next year and being able to work out the kinks with his linemates in TC while being more comfortable in the room which should allow him to assert himself more.

Realistically, it could take years for him to become a true leader on our team.

But I think once we make a few roster changes, he will settle in to a role that fits well for his strengths. Maybe he can even PK next season?

May also be time for a promotion to PP1 for him and Ehlers as well...

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

But I think once we make a few roster changes, he will settle in to a role that fits well for his strengths. Maybe he can even PK next season?

He doesn't need to be a true leader in the room anytime soon imo, just needs to find his footing on and off the ice.

I agree, put him in the bumper spot on pp1. Not sure where you put Ehlers on that unit.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
He doesn't need to be a true leader in the room anytime soon imo, just needs to find his footing on and off the ice.

I agree, put him in the bumper spot on pp1. Not sure where you put Ehlers on that unit.

Hell just go with 5 forwards and put him on the point

Reactions: 10Ducky10

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012

Why do you want to force a leadership role on him?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Why do you want to force a leadership role on him?

To me I want him to be more of an on ice leader by really asserting himself in the game. As the center he needs impose his will and take charge both ways. This past year he was doing a lot of sitting off and deferring to his wingers, likely as a result of unfamiliarity and trying to fit in.

He should be in a position next year to impose himself into the play more.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
If the Jets are going to staple Ehlers and PLD together next year, I hope they sign him long term this summer. I think those two will be a dominant pair for years to come!

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
What are you talking about? I'm talking about giving him the role we had in mind when we brought him in here so he can grow into it.

Everyone needs to be a leader in their own way.
What are you talking about? What leadership role was he expected to fill when we traded for him? What does your expectation of being the 3rd best forward have to do with his leadership role?

How do you know he is an outsider in the locker room?

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
What are you talking about? What leadership role was he expected to fill when we traded for him? What does your expectation of being the 3rd best forward have to do with his leadership role?

How do you know he is an outsider in the locker room?

Damn man. I was just trying to put a positive spin on how it could take him some time to find his groove.

And you are coming at me with all these questions like I'm assuming the worst for the guy. I guess I could have added a few qualifiers in there to make it more clear.

What are your thoughts on him going into next season...

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I wouldn't play PLD and Ehlers together. They are, arguably, our two best top 6 defensive forwards.
KC PLD Copper
KV Scheif Ehlers
MP Stastny Wheeler
Harkins Lowry Apples
Lewis as the extra forward.

Reactions: AlaskaJet

AlaskaJet

Retrieves pucks and ducks
Sep 29, 2017
Olympia, Washington (from Ft. Garry)
I wouldn't play PLD and Ehlers together. They are, arguably, our two best top 6 defensive forwards.
KC PLD Copper
KV Scheif Ehlers
MP Stastny Wheeler
Harkins Lowry Apples
That would ice nicely....If we could only keep 2 of Copp, Stastny and Apples after the draft..

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
KC PLD Copper
KV Scheif Ehlers
MP Stastny Wheeler
Harkins Lowry Apples

Promoting KV, PLD and Copp to the first line over the likes of Scheifele would send a really bad signal.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
KV Scheif Ehlers
KC PLD Copper
MP Stastny Wheeler
Harkins Lowry Apples

Better?

KC Scheifele Wheeler
Perreault PLD Stastny
Harkins/KV Lowry Copp
KV/Harkins "Veteran with leadership abilities" Appleton

It would be a waste to play Lowry on the fourth line.
Maurice will never split up the first line so no point in even theorising it X-D
He'll probably play Stastny as 2C (if he comes back) and put PLD on his wing.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
KC Scheifele Wheeler
Perreault PLD Stastny
Harkins/KV Lowry Copp
KV/Harkins "Veteran with leadership abilities" Appleton

It would be a waste to play Lowry on the fourth line.
Maurice will never split up the first line so no point in even theorising it X-D
He'll probably play Stastny as 2C (if he comes back) and put PLD on his wing.

Ehlers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad