Player Discussion: PLD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Question

Was the Jackets
Asking for Caufield and/or Suzuki and mixture of players?

Wonder why Habs didnt bite?

There were rumours that the Habs were offering Suzuki, a 1st, and a prospect (maybe Caufield?) but I think CBJ had their sights set on the much more highly acclaimed Laine all along. I don't ever remember a trade with such big names going each way that fizzled so badly for both teams. ~50 games is a small sample size though and a strange year. It will be interesting to see how both players respond this coming fall.

Reactions: PhilJets

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
He must be injured-I don’t know how it is possible to play that horrible unless an injury is an underlying issue. He was not even playing at the level of a serviceable 4th liner this year.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I’m not convinced Tiffoli was Dubois’ man on that play. Dubois collapsed down, but he’s protecting the slot. If Dubois was standing beside Tiffoli, Caufield simply feeds the dman in the slot who walks in.
Completely agreed, that was a team breakdown. But he still should have taken him, all things considered.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
He’s either injured or Maurice has coached him up to be a non-factor in games for the past two months.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Well, for all those people who think you can't suck as bad as PLD, unless you are physically hurt, he says he's not.

Not saying he's not hurting, but it's most likely between the ears, which is worse than anything physically broken.

He needs to take the summer and get straight in the head.

Reactions: schmockeyknife

barrywpg

Nov 17, 2011
Well, for all those people who think you can't suck as bad as PLD, unless you are physically hurt, he says he's not.

Not saying he's not hurting, but it's most likely between the ears, which is worse than anything physically broken.

That is troubling

Reactions: jetswin and mondo3

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

I don't want to jump to any conclusions about mental health issues. There may have been a nagging minor injury which limited him (which the team should have addressed by giving him the time off to heal properly and be ready for the playoffs) and this is just disappointment over a lost season.

Reactions: Ippenator

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
The only good news is we don’t have to make any financial decisions this year…. Let him earn his next deal next season….

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
I don't want to jump to any conclusions about mental health issues. There may have been a nagging minor injury which limited him (which the team should have addressed by giving him the time off to heal properly and be ready for the playoffs) and this is just disappointment over a lost season.

JMO...I think it's just a confidence thing. You just got traded for Laine ( yeah I know people keep saying he got traded for Roso ) so I'm sure your first thoughts are, you had better produce, because. The Jets need to convince him IMO that he has a value to his game, but be yourself and play as yourself, and don't worry about the guy you got traded for. A summer off can do wonders.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
JMO...I think it's just a confidence thing. You just got traded for Laine ( yeah I know people keep saying he got traded for Roso ) so I'm sure your first thoughts are, you had better produce, because. The Jets need to convince him IMO that he has a value to his game, but be yourself and play as yourself, and don't worry about the guy you got traded for. A summer off can do wonders.

And if the summer does wonders for Laine who returns to 40 goal form? Talk about... :nod:

Tweek-Freaks-Out-Over-The-Pressure-In-Class-On-South-Park.gif

Reactions: cbcwpg

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
So he had no significant injury and he played like that, unfortunately hockey might not be in his future if he doesn't get his shit in order on and off the ice

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
I'll just remind everyone that he's 22 -- younger than Stanley who only showed signs of being a serviceable defenseman this year. I wholeheartedly agree it wasn't the season we expected out of him, but there were some defensive aspects that were really good.

I'm not ready to relegate him to bottom 6 duty and believe he'll be able to put this season behind him and come back hungrier next season.

Reactions: Truenorthducky

Truenorthducky

Oct 10, 2020
I'll just remind everyone that he's 22 -- younger than Stanley who only showed signs of being a serviceable defenseman this year. I wholeheartedly agree it wasn't the season we expected out of him, but there were some defensive aspects that were really good.

I'm not ready to relegate him to bottom 6 duty and believe he'll be able to put this season behind him and come back hungrier next season.
I think it’s very apparent that his confidence totally got shot at some point. I watch this guy play on Columbus a lot and he actually showed a lot of signs in his first few games as a Jet. As much as it sounds like an excuse this is one guy that just needs a complete reset. I think we still have something in this player.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Oh dang, PLD! Take a holiday. I'm going to remain optimistic but that's a frightening bit of news

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Could he be a square peg... trying to fit Jets round hole system and playing style?
Also, almost zero practices to get up to speed on style / systems. I think he'll benefit from working on his game in the offseason a a full camp to be better fitted into the roster and style of play. I actually think he would really benefit from playing with a smart player like Perfetti, sort of how he worked with Panarin. He needs quick passes and using space, and most Jets wingers lug the puck.

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012

I thought that all along for both him and Laine.
I was 'hoping' it was physical but if it is between the ears and not dealth with he could be in serious trouble beyond just his hockey career. Hope he has a good support system at home

None

Feb 22, 2012
Also, almost zero practices to get up to speed on style / systems. I think he'll benefit from working on his game in the offseason a a full camp to be better fitted into the roster and style of play. I actually think he would really benefit from playing with a smart player like Perfetti, sort of how he worked with Panarin. He needs quick passes and using space, and most Jets wingers lug the puck.

The prospect of Dubois and Perfetti sounds really good to me, it just sounds like one of those matchups that'll just work. So of course they'll have no chemistry and rarely play together :laugh:

Reactions: irunthepeg

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
I know we want to cling to the 'PLD is injured' thing, but he just said he wasn't. He isn't.

I think we have to see how he is in the first half of next year to have a better idea if he is as bad as we believe he might be - as bad as he looked. I don't think so. It was a completely abnormal year in so many ways, a pass to PLD is really required here for the time being. Same for Laine in Columbus. Roslovic has been the best player in that deal. There is no way that can be the case long term. No way, right? I mean, is that even possible? No, no way. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad