Player Discussion: PLD

Status
Not open for further replies.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
It is what it is. He requested to be moved to another team. The Jets did not want to give him away for free. But the situation dictated Jack as a sensible add on to make to secure a deal with big long term ramifications.

Hopefully he does well at C in Columbus.
Oh yeah I get that. My comment was more humor than anything...it’s a Family Guy reference.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Draisaitl also signed at a time when the only guys who were getting $10m+ were pending UFAs who had won multiple cups. Now that every top-5-at-his-position guy is getting Stone-money-plus, including some RFAs, the comparable doesn't really fit.
are you saying this in support of PLD getting 8.5m or not?

also Aho is at 8.5m, he laps PLDs output. PLDs deal will cover less RFA years though.

PLD is also signing at a time where revenues are down and a flat cap

as for your rfa comment - how many RFAs were putting up 90-100 pts or 40-50+ (pace) goals back then in 2017 and prior like Matthews, Marner, MCdavid ? Yes it's changed, but b/c the players coming in are like top 3-5 in their position in their early 20s

idk, TODAY (again, this can change when contract time is here), i don't see how he's worth 8.5m

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010

also Aho is at 8.5m, he laps PLDs output. PLDs deal will cover less RFA years though.

as for your rfa comment - how many RFAs were putting up 90-100 pts or 40-50+ goals back then in 2017 and prior like Matthews, Marner, MCdavid ? Yes it's changed, but b/c the players coming in are like top 3-5 in their position in their early 20s

idk, TODAY (again, this can change when contract time is here), i don't see how he's worth 8.5m
I'd sign PLD for 8-8.5M x 8 for sure.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014

as for your rfa comment - how many RFAs were putting up 90-100 pts or 40-50+ goals back then in 2017 and prior like Matthews, Marner, MCdavid ? Yes it's changed, but b/c the players coming in are like top 3-5 in their position in their early 20s

I'm just saying it's a poor comparable since when Draisaitl signed, not only was it a long time ago, but there was also a shield around the '$10m' plateau--and to a lesser-extent the $9m plateau--that has since been demolished and shit on.

You're right about a flat cap, but we haven't seen the real effect of that yet, though.

I'd say $8.5m x 8 is a tiny bit of a stretch unless he has a stupid good remainder of the season. $8x8 is very-much within my comfort range. Moot, though, since I don't expect him to sign this off-season.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016

Someone suggest cheaper and you seem to suggest more. I don't understand that rationalization. 8 mil for a lesser player than PLD and Drai is fair deal. Don't forget there's a salary cap and the trick is to fit your players under that.
If PLD wants more you can always add bonuses

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Trouba was good when he was here. Very good.

Do you have a time machine, or something?

Yeah, it's called hindsight
There's a saying, don't put all your eggs in one basket.
i suggested 7 million max, so I guess I was wrong

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I'm just saying it's a poor comparable since when Draisaitl signed, not only was it a long time ago, but there was also a shield around the '$10m' plateau--and to a lesser-extent the $9m plateau--that has since been demolished and shit on.

You're right about a flat cap, but we haven't seen the real effect of that yet, though.

I'd say $8.5m x 8 is a tiny bit of a stretch unless he has a stupid good remainder of the season. $8x8 is very-much within my comfort range. Moot, though, since I don't expect him to sign this off-season.

Draisaitl was not that long ago. and the 10M plateau has been demolished b/c Matthews, McDavid and Marner are putting up top numbers at their position at such a young age. Since '12 when 8-year contract limits came in, don't think we saw 20 year old RFAs as prolific as those 3. they have the numbers to back it. Drai had a careeer high of 77 pts when he signed. he was not like those 3 when he signed. If he had put up numbers akin to Marner/McDavid/Matthews, he probably could have gotten more.

idk just feel 8.5m is quite high today given his career totals, and players of similar cap hit or % of cap hit at signing. Aho is at 8.45m 10.3% of the cap, i think he's quite a bit better & has better output than PLD today.

Yeah, it's called hindsight
There's a saying, don't put all your eggs in one basket.
i suggested 7 million max, so I guess I was wrong
7-7.5 on a 8 year deal, sign me up. Think that's a fair deal for him and his future outlook.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Draisaitl was not that long ago. and the 10M plateau has been demolished b/c Matthews, McDavid and Marner are putting up top numbers at their position at such a young age. Since '12 when 8-year contract limits came in, don't think we saw 20 year old RFAs as prolific as those 3. they have the numbers to back it. Drai had a careeer high of 77 pts when he signed. he was not like those 3 when he signed. If he had put up numbers akin to Marner/McDavid/Matthews, he probably could have gotten more.

idk just feel 8.5m is quite high today given his career totals, and players of similar cap hit or % of cap hit at signing. Aho is at 8.45m 10.3% of the cap, i think he's quite a bit better & has better output than PLD today.

7-7.5 on a 8 year deal, sign me up. Think that's a fair deal for him and his future outlook.

For Trouba? I think that. 5 is a little high, but if gets you a full 8 years, sure

I think PLD is 8 mil max. I unno, when ever it comes to contracts discussion, the hf boards like to high ball their players

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Someone suggest cheaper and you seem to suggest more. I don't understand that rationalization. 8 mil for a lesser player than PLD and Drai is fair deal. Don't forget there's a salary cap and the trick is to fit your players under that.
If PLD wants more you can always add bonuses
Adding bonuses doesn't change the cap hit at all, and a top player isn't going to go agree to performance bonuses, anyway.

I am trying to be realistic regarding what salary it would take for a player to sign long-term. I thought it would take around $8M to sign Trouba long-term, and at the time his past performance and the rising salary cap (pre-COVID) seemed to make that a reasonable salary range. The fact that the NYR gave him that suggests that it was in the right ballpark. Would I sign Trouba to that now based on the current cap stagnation and his recent performance? Probably not, but I would point out that Morrissey-Trouba was a very good top pairing and the Jets haven't found another since Trouba left.

As for PLD, I think $8-8.5M is a decent market value for him on an 8-year contract. I expect the salary cap to start rising again in a couple of years, and a contract in that salary range will look quite good in a few years.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
For Trouba? I think that. 5 is a little high, but if gets you a full 8 years, sure

I think PLD is 8 mil max. I unno, when ever it comes to contracts discussion, the hf boards like to high ball their players
Obviously, Trouba at $8M wasn't a high estimate. I don't think $8-8.5M is all that high for an 8-year term for PLD, to be honest. It might even be on the low side, if he has a really strong season.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

thought we are talking PLD lol. But at the time i was on board with trouba at 7-8m (depending on length). he was playing at a high level here

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Adding bonuses doesn't change the cap hit at all, and a top player isn't going to go agree to performance bonuses, anyway.

I am trying to be realistic regarding what salary it would take for a player to sign long-term. I thought it would take around $8M to sign Trouba long-term, and at the time his past performance and the rising salary cap (pre-COVID) seemed to make that a reasonable salary range. The fact that the NYR gave him that suggests that it was in the right ballpark. Would I sign Trouba to that now based on the current cap stagnation and his recent performance? Probably not, but I would point out that Morrissey-Trouba was a very good top pairing and the Jets haven't found another since Trouba left.

As for PLD, I think $8-8.5M is a decent market value for him on an 8-year contract. I expect the salary cap to start rising again in a couple of years, and a contract in that salary range will look quite good in a few years.

Yeah exactly, bonuses don't touch salary cap, so offer him 8 mill and bonuses
Why would you not take an offer of extra money while still getting a reasonable contract?

PLD ain't worth 8.5 million, he's no malkin playing on the 2nd line
Sorry

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Aho signed that contract right out of his ELC at age 22, and it was only a 5-year deal. Aho will be a UFA at age 27. That is a substantial difference from PLD re-signing at 23-24 after a bridge deal, for an 8-year term.

Reactions: Mathil8

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Why would you not take an offer of extra money while still getting a reasonable contract?

Sorry
if PLD puts up 70-80 pts (pace) the next 1.5 years 8M is a bit more realistic imo. i think he's a level below that right now.

Aho signed that contract right out of his ELC at age 22, and it was only a 5-year deal. Aho will be a UFA at age 27. That is a substantial difference from PLD re-signing at 23-24 after a bridge deal, for an 8-year term.

yes i mentioned that. i do think aho's superiority to pld off-sets a bit of the difference though. also consider low revenues/no fans/flat cap etc. the question was TODAY what is PLD worth.

Reactions: libertarian

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
thought we are talking PLD lol. But at the time i was on board with trouba at 7-8m (depending on length). he was playing at a high level here

No i agree..if he's playing a stronger defensive role, but getting out scored by Conor, he's worth similar price. You give him an extra .5 to mil for playing the centre role

Reactions: libertarian

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Sorry
We'll have to agree to disagree. At this point, I think the Jets would be wise to extend PLD for 8 years at $8.5M. The cap is going to start escalating early in that contract, so as a percentage of cap hit it is going to continue to shrink.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005

Agree. A 50 point Trouba paired with Morrissey on the top pairing seemed worth 7-8 mill per if that's what it took. Now, with the benefit of hindsight and what he has shown as a Ranger, he doesn't seem near worth that BUT if he were here and putting up 50 points forming a legit top pair with Morrissey, that's worth 8 mill per, imo.

Circumstances, team, systems, partner, etc.. all play a role here. For whatever the reason(s) he isn't the same dman as he was when he was here. Then again, neither is Morrissey, so...

Reactions: Eyeseeing

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Roslovic was another story altogether but Laine had zero grounds for complaint about usage in Wpg.

ELL didn't work but maybe Laine should look in the mirror to explain that. When he did get his chance with Scheifele, he didn't do enough with it. ESL was good years ago when it was tried, but how much help from linemates should Laine need. Does he also require a D pair designed to feed him?

In the end he had plenty of support in Wpg. He will be lucky to get as much anywhere else.

There will come a time, and it may have already came, where Laine regrets asking to be traded out of Winnipeg.

I say it may have already came, because there is a part of me that believes Laine and his agent where just posturing when the statement was made that it might be in both parties best interest to trade him this past summer.

Laine's first interview with Columbus, when he asked how he handled the news that he had been traded, Laine said he was caught by surprise, and he seemed down when he said it, then said that I guess I was not what the team needed, that they have been looking for that second line center.

I think his agent and him felt that they could make that statement and then force the organization to offer the contract he was looking for. They knew he was a god here and making that statement would put immense pressure on the team by the public to meet their demands.

This organization does not play that game. You want out, then GTFO. Its the right way to respond, but I do think they could have found a common ground because deep down Patty liked playing for the Jets.

Guess the old adage be careful what you ask for, cause you just might get it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig