Proposal: Playoffs vs Sell off

would you go for the playoffs or sell off ?

• Total voters

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
This is so vague as to be meaningless. You could say that about pretty much any player.

You only move Klef, knicks and all, if you can replace him. We're in no position to do that now or in the foreseeable future.
All I’m saying is I wouldn’t consider him to be an untouchable or a core player. If the right deal came up, I’d move him. If it didn’t I wouldn’t. If that’s a vague statement then so be it.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
All I’m saying is I wouldn’t consider him to be an untouchable or a core player. If the right deal came up, I’d move him. If it didn’t I wouldn’t. If that’s a vague statement then so be it.

You could say the same about any player not named McDavid. The reality is, the chances of a deal coming along where we can move Klef without making the team worse are slim to none.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
We tank naturally :)

Not trading our core merely looking to trade fringe players on expiring deals. So selling expiring assets isn’t a tank, just asset management.

That said I totally see the logic in keeping the team in for as long as possible to make a playoff run for the experience of playing meaningful games.

But I think if Chaisson and Petrovic nets you Burakovsky, Talbot nets you a 3rd or 4th with salary retained, Reider and Gravel nets you a 4th-5th we do not hurt our playoff chances but actually increase them. Klefbom coming back and Reider replaceable from within. Play Kostko every game. Burakovsky plugs into top 6.
I see a difference between asset management, as you rightly called it and tanking. Trading players not under contract past this season for picks or prospects is asset management. Trading players signed past this season for picks and prospects is tanking.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I see a difference between asset management, as you rightly called it and tanking. Trading players not under contract past this season for picks or prospects is asset management. Trading players signed past this season for picks and prospects is tanking.

If it's tanking to trade Benning, Kassian, Manning or Brodziak, marginal players with some term, so be it. Bring on the tank.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

True but I’d quantify that Benning Manning Lucic Brodziak Sekera trades as cap management deals.

Trading JP for a decent playing return (which I don’t think happens) and not a draft pick would be a simple hockey trade.

If we trade Nurse Larsson Klefbom Russell RNH Drai 97 now we are in tank country.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Keep
F: McDavid, RNH, Draisaitl, Khaira, Pulju
D: Klefbom, Larsson, Nurse
And all of our prospects + picks

The rest of the roster is trash, couldnt care less if every last one was sold off. They dont contribute to us winning. Even Chiasson, if we can get a 2nd for him I do it. Then try to resign him to reasonable deal on July 1st.

Reactions: RattsSSV

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Selling isnt rebuilding. Basically our entire roster - Rieder, Chiasson, Rattie, Brodziak, Kassian and Petrovic, Manning, Gravel, Benning can be found cheaper or just as cheap on the UFA market for free this summer. In fact all except Petrovic, Benning and Kassian were bottom barrel cheap UFAs this season or last.

Then you have the larger cap hit guys in Sekera, Lucic and Russel who likely arent getting moved.

Last edited:

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
Come on boys we are 3 points out and there’s no way Vancouver is a wildcard team and we are not, time to go for it. We make the playoffs we win the Cup.

Reactions: poolparty98

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
Sell:

Chiasson and a 3rd - for Andre Burakovsky
Petrovic - for a 3rd/4th
Rieder - for a 5th

Call up P. Russell and Spooner

Jesse to Bakersfield (he should be there already)

Last edited:

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Sell off, odds are we scrape in if we make it and we end up playing Calgary? You know what makes a longer offseason then missing the playoffs? Taking a spanking from your provincial rival

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
There is nothing about this team that suggests it could win a playoff round. Sell early before other teams also determine they are sellers and lower the value of players.

poolparty98

Aug 6, 2017
When you have made playoffs once in 12 yrs. You have the best player on the planet and you are 3pts out of plays with 30 games to go. You don’t sell, you add and go for it. Once your in, all bets are off. A hot goalie, healthy defense and 97. Anything can happen

In 2006 we only made the playoffs because Canucks lost final game, We had no business beating Detroit. Strange things happen in the second season.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
So get rid of currently contributing players for players that might contribute a few years from now.

Sounds promising for next year.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
When you have made playoffs once in 12 yrs. You have the best player on the planet and you are 3pts out of plays with 30 games to go. You don’t sell, you add and go for it. Once your in, all bets are off. A hot goalie, healthy defense and 97. Anything can happen

In 2006 we only made the playoffs because Canucks lost final game, We had no business beating Detroit. Strange things happen in the second season.

We had a very good team that year that would have cruised into the playoffs in a high seed with league average goaltending through the season. No comparison at all with this pile of turds.

This idea that once you get in anything can happen is a myth. Yeah a mediocre team might pull off a first round upset (especially in a crap division like ours), but the chances of a Cinderella team going deep are slim.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
getting rid of a player at his lowest value is so Oilers

I'm not even saying get rid of him right now. I'm referring to the idea hes part of our so called core. Have no idea what he brings. Hes not the much herald defensive dman hes been made out to be. Klefbom is better defensively than he is.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
We had a very good team that year that would have cruised into the playoffs in a high seed with league average goaltending through the season. No comparison at all with this pile of turds.

This idea that once you get in anything can happen is a myth. Yeah a mediocre team might pull off a first round upset (especially in a crap division like ours), but the chances of a Cinderella team going deep are slim.
That team was an eighth seed only because it took Lowe until the trade deadline to find a competent goaltender. Ive always thought it reflected poorly on Lowe that he had a Stanley Cup contending team and almost screwed it up. The poster you quoted was correct when he said the team would have missed the playoffs altogether if Vancouver hadn’t tanked in the final three weeks that year. There is no comparison between the 2006 Oilers to the current team. This team isn’t just one player away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad