Proposal: Playoffs vs Sell off

would you go for the playoffs or sell off ?

• Total voters

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Personally, I think sell off is probably the way to go, as much as I hate to admit it.

While I do agree, and it is proven, that "anything can happen" in the playoffs, I just don't know if that is the right strategy.

Could we make the playoffs with a piece or two added? Maybe, and we probably would be a lot closer without the injuries.

However, I think this team is still a ways from being a serious contender, and McDavid dragging this corpse of the team in the playoffs honestly won't do anything for us in the long run.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Sell anyone we can with value outside of Klefbom, McDavid, Draisaitl and RNH. Rebuild and aim for a run in 3 years

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I may be alone, but I would not try to sign Chiasson. I just have this feeling it would not turn out well. I think he is now regressing to what he really is. A part time 4th liner that may pot 10 goals max, and not the skating ability to help us. I would move him at the deadline for what you can.
There really isn’t much point in keeping him. That he scored some goals playing with McDavid isn’t a good enough reason. In theory that should be easy to do. If you can get something for him at the deadline you do it. If the opportunity to resign him to a reasonable deal happens this summer it can be considered but the important thing is acquiring an asset now.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Koskinen would have had a market as a starting goaltender. There was one for him this summer and he's exceeded expectations.

Chiasson has a long history of inconsistent play and has made his way around the league. Highly unlikely teams are offering a ridiculous salary if he were to go to UFA.

Maroon is a good example.
Maroon is a good example and should serve as a warning for players like him. A lot of people here wanted to give the guy a 5,6,7 year contract last summer and on the market he signed for one year really cheap.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Sell. If this team loses Talbot and Chiasson and that causes them to miss the playoffs, they werent good enough anyway.

If it was another year where our division wasn't trash, and we were playing well and hanging around, I'd be okay with selling off some lesser assets for rentals, but this year the only reason we're in this conversation is because the teams we're fighting with are just as bad as us. We're just as close to last as we are to making the playoffs. Sell off the ufas and see what happens.

Reactions: MikeGrier99

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
As I've been saying the last month or so, sell whatever you can which isn't much in the Oilers case and do NOT blow any futures on rentals.

Sell high on Chiasson like soon before his play continues to dissipate, deal Talbot and Reider for anything. See if somebody bites on Benning.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
It’s not one extreme or the other. It’s possible to move out dead weight while also picking up some good players.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
It’s not one extreme or the other. It’s possible to move out dead weight while also picking up some good players.

Not at the deadline. It's either sell or buy by then or neither, not both.

The offseason will be when they can make a play for good players when more will be available.

CashMash

Jun 5, 2015
Finland
Sell off...

Team is in dire straits. Even if they make it now, they won't go too far with the team as it is. The next gm needs more valuable pieces to be able to fix it: Picks, prospects, trade bait, etc.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Sell anyone we can with value outside of Klefbom, McDavid, Draisaitl and RNH. Rebuild and aim for a run in 3 years

Klefbom can go too in my opinion. I'm completely done with how injury prone he is and how it's almost always freak injury stuff too. He can't be relied on to play more than 60 games per season without having some sort of injury that should be 'x' amount of time to return but turns into 'z' amount of time. Takes a whack on the fingers and back on the shelf again. It's almost comical.

Some athletes are just cursed with injuries it seems. He's one of them and he's no good to the team injured for a 1/4 of the season every year. As I said in the trade thread, he's a lemon.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drivesaitl

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
We can probably get something for Chiasson, Kassian, and one of Benning or Petrovic.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Anyone actually thinking playoffs is delusional.
Watch the team play.. they're horrible.
We're only 4 points out of the playoffs..
well they're also the 26th place team in the league. The only people that should be thinking playoffs are the players... and I don't think they even are.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
What's sad is that we're actually trying to win.

cc7815d0-48ed-4fdd-b14f-585991003007.png

Reactions: MikeGrier99

Ck1

Feb 10, 2018
Edmonton
As I've been saying the last month or so, sell whatever you can which isn't much in the Oilers case and do NOT blow any futures on rentals.

Sell high on Chiasson like soon before his play continues to dissipate, deal Talbot and Reider for anything. See if somebody bites on Benning.
Oilers won’t sell high on Chaisson they will take the wait and see approach. Before they know it they wait to long and are forced to sell low. It’s the oilers way

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Klefbom can go too in my opinion. I'm completely done with how injury prone he is and how it's almost always freak injury stuff too. He can't be relied on to play more than 60 games per season without having some sort of injury that should be 'x' amount of time to return but turns into 'z' amount of time. Takes a whack on the fingers and back on the shelf again. It's almost comical.

Some athletes are just cursed with injuries it seems. He's one of them and he's no good to the team injured for a 1/4 of the season every year. As I said in the trade thread, he's a lemon.

I'd want to keep Klefbom since:
a) he's a legit top pairing dman
b) he's on a very good contract
c) teams will look to lowball us due to his injury history.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Get rid of all the bottom 6 forwards (Brodziak, Reider, Lucic, Cave, Spooner, Poolparty) and 3 bottom d-men (Manning Petrovic, Benning), and lousy Goalie Talbot. Replace with better and teach them to penalty kill properly. Team should be slightly better next year. Also teach them to be responsibility defensively and not make dumb passes and plays.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
We are 4 points behind 8th place WC and 1 pt ahead of Chicago, which means an embarrassing sweep to the heathen Flames IF we make the playoffs. No f***ing thank you.

Chicago is 1 pt behind us. LA not much more. 5 teams in front of us. Call me pessimistic but it’s over. Sell it all. Get picks. As many as we can for Reider, Talbot, PJ who is a blown draft pick due to our group of yes men, Rattie, Chaisson, Petrovic, Benning (please) and anyone else not named McDavid.

Rebuild 4.0 starts now. I don’t want playoffs. I want a contender.

Katz. f*** you.

Reactions: Little Fury

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad