Proposal: Playoffs vs Sell off

would you go for the playoffs or sell off ?

• Total voters

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
So been reading a mixture of posts on the next steps the Oilers should be taking

In my opinion they should be selling off all UFAs and dead weight .

Why trade futures to lose in the 1st round of the playoffs

I am also embarrassed at wanting the team to give up on the playoffs . How many high picks are enough

Just wanted others opinions

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Well, Oilers barely have anything to sell off but there's no way this team should give up anything of value in a push for the playoffs. They're not going anywhere this year no matter what.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Well, Oilers barely have anything to sell off but there's no way this team should give up anything of value in a push for the playoffs. They're not going anywhere this year no matter what.

I agree . Maybe shift around the crap to see if other crap fits better

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Try our best to make the playoffs and even go for a few upgrades at the TDL, but don't give up any valuable futures for short term fixes.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
The right answer with this roster is to just lose and sell probably, but everyone's sick of that too.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
See where the next few weeks take them.

If they’re in contention - do nothing, because this is not the season to be selling any kind of futures for a rental.

If they fall out of contention - sell off anything (UFA) that can get you something in return.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Not going to sugar coat it.

I personally would love to straight up brawl with anyone, no matter how big or nasty, who seriously would rather sell off than make the playoffs.

Reminder this is the Internet and the above statement is nothing more than an expression of how much I hate the idea of selling a team off for "assets".

Garbage thinking, garbage strategy, that brought about a decade of darkness. No reason to go down that path in any way shape or form until practically mathematically eliminated.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Stand Pat until we inevitably get further and further away from the playoffs. Then sell off some of our pieces at the deadline (Talbot, Chiasson, etc)

Reactions: LTIR

McJesusSaves97

I see the light
May 17, 2015
Cowtown: Behind Enemy Lines
Not going to sugar coat it.

I personally would love to straight up brawl with anyone, no matter how big or nasty, who seriously would rather sell off than make the playoffs.

Reminder this is the Internet and the above statement is nothing more than an expression of how much I hate the idea of selling a team off for "assets".

Garbage thinking, garbage strategy, that brought about a decade of darkness. No reason to go down that path in any way shape or form until practically mathematically eliminated.
Yes, garbage thinking, garbage strategy.....but you left out "garbage team". I will be watching & cheering them on down the stretch here just like you, but there are WAY to many things that need to go right for this team to even sneak in to the first round. We are at best an average team if we are getting secondary scoring, everyone remains healthy & good goaltending.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
We really just have Chiasson to "sell off" rest have no value

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Also, if we lose two more games the answer will be much clearer. No winger yet, pretty much too late for this year.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Sell sell sell. Very good chance we lose the next 4-5 games.

Although this draft is week, our sellable assets aren't worth much anyways so get rid of them.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
So been reading a mixture of posts on the next steps the Oilers should be taking

In my opinion they should be selling off all UFAs and dead weight .

Why trade futures to lose in the 1st round of the playoffs

I am also embarrassed at wanting the team to give up on the playoffs . How many high picks are enough

Just wanted others opinions

If the team is in contention or in a playoff spot then selling off the UFA's sends a bad message to the team. You're essentially telling them that you don't believe in them. Is that worth it for a few middle round picks? If we're to far back then we sell and prepare for next season. I want to keep our 1st and 2nd this year because we need depth and our drafting has gotten better but I'd trade any picks from rounds 3 to 7 to add some depth for a playoff push.

Reactions: Aerchon

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
To the OP. Too early for this poll. However, dependent on how things go in the next few weeks, if they are out of it, move as much crap as you possibly can. If we are in contention, do nothing.the captain and Nicolas think they’re good enough, so let’s see. Don’t start moving anything of value, no matter how little.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
They have 11 games between now and the deadline on the 25th (excluding the game the evening of the 25th). Six road games and five home games.

@ Phil*
@ Mtl*
VS Chi
@ Minny
VS SJ
@ Pitt
@ Car*
@ NYI*
VS AZ
VS NYI
VS Ana
* denotes back to back.

They have a pretty shitty schedule leading up to the deadline in my opinion. Play these games this weekend, fly home and play the Blackhawks, then fly to Minny, back home to play the Sharks then back out to the East coast. That is f***ed.

It's tough sledding these next three weeks unless a major deal is done sooner than later to land a winger. If they manage to go .500 somehow will be a success, but that won't put them any closer to a wildcard spot.

Hoping for the absolute best, but expectations are low. My heart says "buy" but the head says "sell".

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Ck1

Feb 10, 2018
Edmonton
I don’t think this team is as gloom and doom as some think. With the right gm in place lol I know it’s the oilers and they can screw that up. But the right gm could rid us of spooner manning and with Talbot likely gone that’s 10 mil in cap space. Depending on Sekera that’s another 5 mil and with cap going up possibly 3 mil that gives us roughly 18 mil in cap space. I believe the right gm could have this team headed in the right direction as quickly as next season. But being an oilers fan and witnessing how this team has run things in the past They will likely screw up who they get for a gm

Reactions: Aerchon

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
To the OP. Too early for this poll. However, dependent on how things go in the next few weeks, if they are out of it, move as much crap as you possibly can. If we are in contention, do nothing.the captain and Nicolas think they’re good enough, so let’s see. Don’t start moving anything of value, no matter how little.
I think it’s still too early to decide but either way I wouldn’t be giving up assets for a playoff run this year. We’ve already given up too much this year for nothing. If this group can’t make it on their own, then so be it. Where I’m torn is how much longer you wait until you decide it’s time to sell guys like Chiasson or Talbot.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Playoffs with the caveat that we don’t get pure rentals. If we can add some players who fix our winger situation, and will be on the team next year, do it

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
Too early to say. A win today would've been big towards aiming towards keeping the rentals but if they drop 4 or 5 of the next 6, even 3 of the next 6 I'd say it's time to sell.

Talbot, Chiasson, Petrovic, Gravel for sure if there's a market.

Russell if he'll waive.

Spooner and Manning if you can find takers.

Brodziak, Rieder, Kassian, Benning are all guys who you should take calls on.

If the team falls any further out the emphasis needs to be on gaining some assets for the new GM to play with but more importantly trying to clear out some contracts and give this team some cap space to work with this summer.

Short version would be unless they go on a big run here it should be, SELL SELL SELL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad